Gojira

• Thread starter MetalheadMC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
People who dont like this mix are cray cray. Sounds better than anything they have done since TWOAF to me. Song wise and mix wise.

It was mixed by Andy Wallace. Best thing he has done in YEARS. Feels almost like a live recording but with album quality sounds. I love it.

nickgray

Reaction score
Pretty mediocre mix, imo. Drums are too forward (the guitars sound weak because of that, I think), the kick definitely doesn't need to be as fat as it is, the overheads are just a bit too bright. The drums are also distorting occasionally, not sure who that that was a good idea (examples at 1:31 and 1:38).

The song itself is nothing new either, seems like a by-the-book Gojira song with all their signature elements. It's okay, but there's nothing exciting about it.

slan

Reaction score
Pretty mediocre mix, imo. Drums are too forward (the guitars sound weak because of that, I think), the kick definitely doesn't need to be as fat as it is, the overheads are just a bit too bright. The drums are also distorting occasionally, not sure who that that was a good idea (examples at 1:31 and 1:38).

The song itself is nothing new either, seems like a by-the-book Gojira song with all their signature elements. It's okay, but there's nothing exciting about it.

Agreed.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
People who dont like this mix are cray cray. Sounds better than anything they have done since TWOAF to me. Song wise and mix wise.

It was mixed by Andy Wallace. Best thing he has done in YEARS. Feels almost like a live recording but with album quality sounds. I love it.

Exactly. Totally natural sounding but still clean and crushing. Way better than all the sample replaced garbage flying around out there these days. Like the Magma sound, but better

plus if you had Mario fucking Duplantier as your drummer, pretty sure you'd mix him on the loud side. Guitars sound fine to me. Vocals are pretty quiet, presumably to leave space for everything else.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Was it just me or did the bass seem more buried than usual?

Don't get me wrong, this is the sweet spot I was hoping the new album would land and I'll obviously be getting the album, but overall this is a pretty straight forward song from them with just enough elements to make realize it's Gojira. Listening back to back with Another World, AW is might not be as heavy, but it's far more Gojira to me than this one is; it's got the unique open string riffing, with the bass providing that thick foundation, and a simple drum groove that keeps the whole thing flowing.

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
This song is mediocre at best. This bands last few albums have been awful and they haven't made a decent album since From Mars to Sirius. Terra Incognita and The Link are pretty good though. They usually have a few ok songs per album. Gojira do put on a super good live show though and even though I'm not a fan of most of their music I would recommend seeing them live.

j3ps3

Reaction score
Am I the only one who actually thinks this is close to the material from FMTS? I've not been that interested in the albums they have put out after that album tbh, but this, IMO, sounds like it could've been from FMTS.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I also got some FMTS vibes at a few points. I got into them around the time of Way of All Flesh so those 2 albums are king for me. This is a step up from Magma for sure.

Dudley

Reaction score
Wow. That was a lot of meh. At least the video fit the music perfectly...

I’m sure I’ll check out the new album when it lands, there’s usually a few good riffs and songs on any given album buried in and amongst all the repetition, but this did not build excitement.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
This song is mediocre at best. This bands last few albums have been awful and they haven't made a decent album since From Mars to Sirius. Terra Incognita and The Link are pretty good though. They usually have a few ok songs per album. Gojira do put on a super good live show though and even though I'm not a fan of most of their music I would recommend seeing them live.

I agree for the most part except way of all flesh was great.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Gojira is one of those rare bands that sounds just as good live just like they do on their albums. They're always tight as fuck and throw off a ton of energy.

I saw an interview with Joe where he said how much they practice. The practice EVERYTHING meticulously. For example, even deciding together which bits will be alternate picked or downpicked, and Mario will even sync up his feet on the kick drum with the picking - like downstroke = right foot, upstroke = left foot.

IMO I also think there's something to be said for a very simple setup. A low output bridge pickup into a good amp. Not all that much gain. Relatively clean bass too. Helps everything be heard without creating a big mess.

Razerjack

Reaction score
Great track in general no doubt, but like with Another World I can't help but feel like they're running out of tricks up their sleeves. The chuggy riff and the breakdown are pretty much as generic as it gets.

Perhaps I just have too high expectations of them, got into metal around the time L'Enfant Sauvage came out, and I still remember being blown away by some of the riffs(Explosia) like 'woah, you can do that?' Magma was at a different pace but most songs still sounds pretty fresh, but the new tracks are a bit 'been here, done that' in terms of songwriting.