Got a guitar(s) you own that you will never get rid of?

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sniperfreak223

B.C. Rich loyalist
Reaction score
man, bummer :( good luck with that.
although i want to ask, what about those bloodstains ?

Busted up my palm on the bridge during some aggressive palm-muted tremolo picking, and never wiped it off because it added some character and it looked metal as .....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
My Schecter Loomis. I know this sounds silly, but it's one of the first made and it feels and plays way better than any other one I've seen..

Doesn't sound silly to me. I love mine. Also a very early model prepaid months in advance of their initial release. The first one I got immediately when they were for sale only at DCGL. It had one of the necks with a weird radius and neck/board where the outside strings would fall off the fret board if you even looked at them let alone fret the strings. So I called DCGL and Schecter and in 3 days I had a new, set up by Schecter Custom Shop Loomis at my door. They didn't even ask for the first guitar back at that point ha but I sent it back to Schecter that day. Rather awesome customer service by Drum City Guitar Land and Schecter. The second one, which is pictured below and is my Frankin Loomis played/s awesome and is a keeper for sure. Now has Carvin A70 Active pickups with the Carvin preamp and tone control were the stock pu selector was with a new 3 way blade switch. Nothing wrong with the EMG's. When I wear out the frets I am going to scallop the full fret board and install Stainless frets.

KingLouis

Gentlemen...DESTROY
Reaction score
I have a VERY very old Yamaha nylon string acoustic I'll never part with, as it was my grandpa's who just passed away 3 years ago. Has a lovely hum about it, and my dad enjoys hearing me play it as it reminds him of his dad. So that's cool.

s4tch

Reaction score
- My good old RG560:

rg560_01.jpg

More pics here. Given the broken neck, it has no market value at all, so even if I were broke, I couldn't use her to make some quick cash. At the same time, she's the most resonant, best playing bolt-on I've ever had.

- SLSMG Eerie Dess Swirl:

slsmg_01.jpg

Some other pics here. Beautiful, plays and sounds incredible, and also a rare bird to find. (I've been constantly watching ebay and other sites for 3 years until I finally managed to get her.) That's what you call a keeper, I guess.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Yup, my Devin Townsend guitar. Even if it wasn't as awesome as it is, the events that led to me actually getting it into my hands made it mean more to me on a personal level.

I had ordered and paid for the guitar back in march of 2012 and was told I would see it in June of that year. When June rolled around, they told me it wouldn't be until September. On Twitter I follow Devin and Peavey, and somebody has asked Peavey about the release dates for the guitar. I replied to the guy about what I had been told, and since Devin was mentioned in the reply he saw what I had said and contacted me.

From there Devin put me in contact with his Peavey reps, and they went to work getting me a guitar built, ASAP. That was in August of 2012, I believe. Anyway, September hit and I still had nothing, so Devin being the awesome guy he is told me to get my money back if I could, and he'd get me a guitar.

Pretty ....ing awesome, right? However, I refused his offer and let him know that this is not his problem, he did more than enough for me, and I'll take care of it from there.

So I started pressing the issue with Peavey, and they said they were working on it, but they were having production problems at their China factory (and still are, I hear). Devin's guy at Peavey finally said that he was pretty frustrated himself, and he was going to resolve it immediately.

That led to him having the guitar built here in the states, and the project was overseen by Master Luthier Mike Powers, who just happened to be the guy that designed the Peavey Wolfgang. I used to own one of those guitars, and it was phenomenal.

So, in November I received the guitar, and it was immaculate. Other than being a non-assembly build, it is also one of the extreme few Devin V's built in the US. The only others are Dev's.

Mine is also set apart from all other Devin V's (including Dev's) because mine has a different style Peavey logo on the headstock.

This is what the logo looks like on Dev's finished guitars and the production models:

And here's mine:

Mine also lacks the build info on the back of the headstock like this one:

And mine:

Because of all of that, this has become more than just a guitar. I will never let this one go.

Just seen this. Another reason to love The Dev! :bowdown: Seems that Peavey were pretty cool too. :yesway:

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
- SLSMG Eerie Dess Swirl:

slsmg_01.jpg

Some other pics here. Beautiful, plays and sounds incredible, and also a rare bird to find. (I've been constantly watching ebay and other sites for 3 years until I finally managed to get her.) That's what you call a keeper, I guess.

love that finish...

Hollowman

Reaction score
Greetings all.. Been a while since I have been on here or posted on here.. The one guitar I will never get rid of is my Dean V, It was given to my by my daughter about 8 years ago as a Fathers Day gift so, it has a lot of sentiment attached to it ...

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
eviltrioguitars2_zps9dfc093d.jpg

These three guitars are keepers...

The Warlock is a USA made B.C. Rich NT (neck through) from the late 80s. The original paintjob was dayglo, so I saw the thing from about a half mile away in the store window. Weird thing about the paint is that it actually turned orange under a blacklight.

It was factory loaded with an Ibanez original Edge bridge, Grover mid-size Rotomatic tuners, and Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups in the neck & bridge. At 24.75", it plays so smoothly, but can still handle tuning a bit lower than standard. I bought it when I was 19 (sixteen years ago) and decided that it was a keeper way back then. After price-checking pro paintjobs, I decided to do a cheap matte black overlay like the B.C. Rich USA special 7 series had at the time.

I have since installed the locking stud mod for the Ibanez Edge posts, replaced the bridge humbuckers with a Duncan Distortion, rewired it with a single volume & toggle, and had my luthier shield the control cavity while he was in there. I also added a brass sustain block and a WD trem stabilizer.

The Virgin was a cheapy platinum B.C. Rich that a friend of mine found on the 'Bay. Originally the deal was that I would buy the guitar, keep the EMG pickups that the original owner had installed, then sell the guitar to my friend. After he had the guitar for two years, he still had not come up with the last $50 he owed me, so he just gave the guitar back to me. Even though it was a low end model, I am so comfortable with the neck and body on that guitar that she is a keeper, though a new Gotoh bridge and updating the EMGs to X-series pickups are in the works.

The Ibanez RGD was a birthday/graduation present last year. I had finished my certification program and gotten my employer reimbursement for said program right before my birthday. My friend had been harassing me to get a 7 string for a couple of years, but this was the first one that I really liked.

Like my old go-to Warlock NT, the RGD has a matte finish, Ibanez bridge with locking studs, trem stabilizer system, single volume control, and a pointy-but-comfortable body shape. Oddly enough, the 26.5" scale is very comfortable even though my other two main guitars are 24.75" and 25.5" respectively. I guess the tunings and string gauges just happen to balance between the three.

Those three guitars are keepers for me. They're my evil trio!

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
I don't think I've posted in this thread yet... Apologies if this is a repost!

6oxAHwI.jpg

Agile Pendulum 82527 - The one I have was the very first one available to the public. It's the exact one shown on the store page for it. It may not be a crazy fancy guitar, but it plays extremely well thanks to a full setup/dressing the very first owner had done (by an amazing tech too!). It's a little piece of multiscale history, and since I'm the fourth (I think) owner I've been able to trace it's lineage and all the little mods and adjustments everyone has made to it. Also has a Lace XBar from the first commercial batch, and it was my first solo pickup swap too!

7L4z7in.jpg

MPIvhY5.jpg

Oakland Axe Factory BFR2011 - While this isn't my main guitar, it's one I hold pretty close to my heart. Working with Tom was a great experience, and being able to say "I picked the pieces of wood for it" is pretty cool IMO. It's had some mods done over the years too - here are the current specs (starred are the mods):
  • Neck: 1-Piece Oiled* Indian Rosewood
  • Fretboard: Indian Rosewood
  • Body: 1-Piece Swamp Ash
  • Top: AAAA Flamed Maple
  • Pickups: Dimarzio Ionizer H-S-H Set*
  • Electronics: 6-Way "Free-Way" Pickup Selector (Bridge, Both HB, Neck, Inner Coil Bridge+Single, Single, Outer Coil Neck+Single)*, Tone
  • Finish: 2-Step Stormy Ocean Blue (my name for it)

There are a few other guitars I don't plan on selling, but the option is there if something better presents itself. Mainly my 2006 PRS CE22 in Matteo Blue (favorite color ever) and Carvin DC800 (only sell for another DC800).

daniel grey

Reaction score
My good old Ibby s470dx

yWS2kmPViLY.jpg

It's been by my side for more than a decade, and i'm bonded with this instrument on a very deep level.

Back in about 2003 i accidentally bumped into it in the music store and realized at the same moment that i had no choice but to buy it ) It cost about 450$ and looked, played and sounded better than any other guitar of the same price range i have met before or since.

Since then i've played a hundred gigs with this guitar, have recorded our band's first "real" album, taught dozens of students and spent thousands of hours just playing it.

It went through a lot.
I changed the pickups to Duncans, but the stock ones turned out to sound better to my ear, so i put them back.
I got rid of the tone knob, and replaced it with the volume knob (which interfered with my playing hand in it's primary place).
Instead of the volume knob i've installed a killswitch.
On the head i've installed a Dunlop pick holder.
Reshielded the electronics cavity with graphite.
Several times it fell on the floor and once the hit was so hard headstock fell apart (( After that i installed Schaller straplocks (late then never)).
Trem bar holder broke to pieces due to the poor metal quality, so i had the guy to make me a new one. Top locking nut also had to be replaced by Schaller.

Even though the guitar is a beginner level instrument, it's still great.
It's got a very comfortable finish that is not prone to stains,
ball bearing ZR trem is the smoothest tremolo i've ever played and stays in tune really well,
Super Wizard II low profile neck is one of the most comfortable ever,
And it's a very versatile instrument suitable for multiple genres from death metal to blues and funk.

And also it's been signed by Victor Smolski and mr. Vai himself ^^

SJE81EV64yA.jpg