High Gain Passive Pickup for a LP

Which Pickup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

glp1996

Oceans & Odysseys
Reaction score
In the future im going to replace my BB3 in the bridge of my Gibson Les Paul Trational Pro for a humbucker that will be better for high gain. Ive been looking at Dimarzios and SDs. I like tight, defined low end and i will be playing through my Bugera 6262. And it has to be passive. What would you all recommend? Also on a side note, i will be able to keep my LPs coil taps no matter what pickup i choose correct?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
As long as the pickup has 4 conductor wiring, yes.

I highly recommend the Duncan Custom for what you specified, it pretty much ticks all the boxes you listed and is more versitale than just a straight high gain pickup

Petie

Reaction score
Have you considered the Seymour Duncan Alternative 8? I tried one in a Les Paul once and it was pretty spectacular.

glp1996

Oceans & Odysseys
Reaction score
As long as the pickup has 4 conductor wiring, yes.

I highly recommend the Duncan Custom for what you specified, it pretty much ticks all the boxes you listed and is more versitale than just a straight high gain pickup

That's the TB-5 right?

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
As far as duncans go i like the distortion. But really with passive I have to say in most cases I have found I like the tone of a lower output pickup and then using an overdrive. Some of the newer passive pickups designed for metal have a lot of output but no character for me.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I love D Activators in mahogany, they're bright enough to fight the low end but still pretty neutral sounding, and not so high output you can't do good clean and low gain tones. I'd like to try the new Dominions, too.

Alternatively, have you tried boosting your amp? :flex: The Burstbuckers are pretty much built around LPs, so the tonal range suits them, and a Tubescreamer will make up for the lower output of the pickups.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Duncan Distortions (sh-6). I have one in a Jackson of mine and its pretty hot. I find it to be the happy medium between Invaders and the jb. I pair it with a jazz neck (sh-n2).

If your looking at Dimarzio, look into the D-Sonic. I know its really meant for drop tunings, but I really like the way it performs in standard tunings. It has since become my favorite pickup. I use this with a liquifire in the neck.

glp1996

Oceans & Odysseys
Reaction score
Alternatively, have you tried boosting your amp? :flex: The Burstbuckers are pretty much built around LPs, so the tonal range suits them, and a Tubescreamer will make up for the lower output of the pickups.
Actually I have not tried that. In your opinion do you think it will sound good?

a passive pickup FOR high gain OR a high output pickup?
High output because id prefer to not have to boost my amp. Although i havent tried it yet so it is still an option.

If your looking at Dimarzio, look into the D-Sonic. I know its really meant for drop tunings, but I really like the way it performs in standard tunings. It has since become my favorite pickup. I use this with a liquifire in the neck.
Oops i forget to mention i play in Drop C :D

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Painkillers are some of the best pickups I've played in LP style guitars, tight/bright with a pretty brutal growl!
And yea, boost it, almost no pickups will give you the tightness from a TS OD.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Actually I have not tried that. In your opinion do you think it will sound good?

Definitely. I prefer medium-ish output pickups and a boost, but you can boost pretty much anything and it will sound good :)

I'd suggest trying a Tubescreamer (ideally a Maxon OD-808, or if you're on a budget, either a Digitech Bad Monkey or BBE Green Screamer). Turn the gain to 0, the volume to 10, and keep the tone around noon (or to taste). You might wanna back off on the gain a little on your amp, but find what works for you.

I say try that first because you might find you love the Burstbuckers that way, but even if you don't, I think you'll want the boost no matter what pickups you end up getting :yesway:

glp1996

Oceans & Odysseys
Reaction score
Definitely. I prefer medium-ish output pickups and a boost, but you can boost pretty much anything and it will sound good :)

I'd suggest trying a Tubescreamer (ideally a Maxon OD-808, or if you're on a budget, either a Digitech Bad Monkey or BBE Green Screamer). Turn the gain to 0, the volume to 10, and keep the tone around noon (or to taste). You might wanna back off on the gain a little on your amp, but find what works for you.

I say try that first because you might find you love the Burstbuckers that way, but even if you don't, I think you'll want the boost no matter what pickups you end up getting :yesway:

Well I tried boosting the amp using a MXR Modified OD (the only OD i own) and it proved unsuccessful. It didn't have as much distortion as i wanted. and id rather spend the money on a pickup instead of a tube screamer.

glp1996

Oceans & Odysseys
Reaction score
alright so ive narrowed down my choices of pickups to 3 if i end up buying one.
1. Dimarzio Super 3
2. SD Distortion
3. BK Warpig

Also added a poll!

Latest posts