Holy Sh*t moments in music.

• Thread starter jonajon91
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
What are some moments in music of 2015 or earlier that have gotten an audible 'holy sh*t' out of you. For me this year there have only been two and they were Vladamirs vocal solo from David maxim micics EGO ep and the bass tone from Between the Buried and Me's Famine Wolf from their new album, I'm not even a tone guy or a huge fan of their new album, but that tone was something special.

No full albums or songs please, I'm thinking individual passages.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Mirror

Reaction score
To me it was the 2 or 3 seconds of the Grand Piano in Nightwish's Endless Forms Most Beautiful title track that got that award.

It's just a 1 minute build-up of the same riff, getting more orchestrated and more "bombastic" and then boom just Grand Piano and Drums playing the same riff.

I never hid my love for Nightwish as I love big damn soundtrack like Metal and that part was amazing.

The instrumental part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo95o8N9b7s&t=3m10s

At 3:59 the Grand Piano Part comes in, but just here the full minute and it works the way it works. :yesway:

Dr Zoidberg

Why not Zoidberg?
Reaction score
Seeing Animals as Leaders live was definitely a "holy sh*t" moment for me. I had heard them plenty of times, but it never really clicked with me. I think I mentally understood that Tosin was a guitar god, but his style only really resonated when I saw him playing live. Combined with the awesomeness of BTBAM, that show really blew my mind.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
Mechina - On The Wings Of Nefeli

The part coming from 5:07 and onwards gave me a true "F*** me!" moment the first time I heard it! It's just the way the groove flows with the melodies and vocals. I like that kind of stuff :)

The track in its entirety is quite epic too :mf666:

DXL

Reaction score
Plini's latest EP (specifically Wombat Astronaut)

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I find most of this years "holy sh*t" moments for me are more "how did I not know this existed already?" moments. Most recently: Porcupine Tree. See also: Bilo 3.0, and the entirety of the jazz piano thread that was going for a while.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Seeing Beyond Creation live. Everyone needs to do it. I always like watching drummers even though I'm a guitarist, but that was the finest drummer I've ever seen and completely forgot he was there because the guitar/bass work was just mind blowing.

The new Nile genuinely scared one of my 3 year old twins, they've grown up with death metal and like a lot of it. Haven't seen that before. Haha.

The Mirror

Reaction score
I find most of this years "holy sh*t" moments for me are more "how did I not know this existed already?" moments. Most recently: Porcupine Tree.

You didn't know about Steven Wilson? Have you been living under a rock the last 25 years?

For real, he is one of the most well known and appreciated musicians in the Progressive Genre.

Don't forget to check out his solo records, too. Each one is simply amazing. From Drony electro experiments on Insurgentes up to the big bow to King Crimson and the like on Hand.Cannot.Erase.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Back in the day when Korn's self titled album came out - it was completely different than anything going on at the time....saw them at a little dance club around here called The Abyss, and that was definitely a holy .... moment, had never seen people going so ape.... to a band.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Seeing Steve Wilson live on the Hand Cannot Erase tour. At one point half the place was crying (me too) and we loved it.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
This psychedelic piece by a young synth pop group is my "Holy ...." Moment of 2015 thus far.

When the bassline changes after the intro is sets the whole journey right off :metal:

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
Straws Pulled at Random, that amazing outro part. Just, holy cow. Still blows my mind.

Also, "I'm Ziltoid, I don't give a ..... I live above Earth in a big rocket ship" - talk about HUGE.