I unknowingly bought a Kiesel that someone made a 22 page thread complaining about.

• Thread starter Lord Voldemort
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Kiesel shenanigans aside, I'd agree than one man's treasure is another man's trash. We guitarists are a very nit-picking whiney species. I got a fantastic guitar at an absolutely ridiculous price because it kept shifting hands due to some cracks on the ebony board.

When I received th guitar I was like "shit I need to get my sight checked because I'm not even sure if these are cracks or just the natural grain of the ebony". That's how big the cracks actually are. I haven't even fixed it yet :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Kiesel shenanigans aside, I'd agree than one man's treasure is another man's trash. We guitarists are a very nit-picking whiney species. I got a fantastic guitar at an absolutely ridiculous price because it kept shifting hands due to some cracks on the ebony board.

When I received th guitar I was like "shit I need to get my sight checked because I'm not even sure if these are cracks or just the natural grain of the ebony". That's how big the cracks actually are. I haven't even fixed it yet :lol:

Wicking some thin CA glue in is cheap and takes mere moments, so it sounds like a win to me.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
I used to have a regular side scheme going with picking up unwanted, so-called "lemons", fixing them and flipping them for a nice profit. More and more stores don't have a decent tech to deal with minor issues, and you'd be surprised how many "lemons" are relatively easy to fix up.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F7eab2773-3f22-4a11-928c-6e853120ae38_792x410.jpeg

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie, and I'll take the L on this one: I thought the video was an accompaniment to the posted gear page thread that was referenced here, and that the video was the original owner complaining about the quality control, so I didn't want to waste my time watching it. Now that I see that I was wrong, the irony about the Solar shirt is lost, and I subscribed to your channel because this is fucking great:

TL;DR I'm lazy and knee-jerk like a lot of other cretins on the internet. I complain about my wife only reading the news headlines and not the articles and then I go do the same damn thing :lol:

Ah well thanks dude! I'm more of a guitar critic skeptic, usually I assume that most complaints are blown way out of proportion which come to think of it probably explains the solar shirt..

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
WTF?

"Then the tuners. I remove the strings to put on my preferred, and find the tuners moving around a LOT in their holes. They are pinned, not screwed in. OK, they just patsy-tightened the nuts and I need to snug them, right? Nope! The nuts are fully tightened. The headstock is too thin to snug the tuner nuts - there is no way this didn't get noticed in assembly or set-up. The whole headstock rattles like a baby toy. Couldn't Kiesel at least throw some washers on there to allow the nuts to snug? Apparenly not, I'll do it my damn self. The resulting movement of the tuners is high. Would this matter when tuned up to pitch? Maybe. A good bend (which I do a lot of) could shift the tuner substantially in its hole and affect tuning."

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Wicking some thin CA glue in is cheap and takes mere moments, so it sounds like a win to me.
Yeah, right? Even if the cracks were bigger, as long as the guitar was safe I wouldn’t give a damn.

You gotta be sure of buying a guitar for you, and not caring about resale value, though. I've got a soft spot for oddball guitars nobody seem to want but are in fact absolutely killer guitars

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Cracks in Ebony boards often open and close depending on the season. I've had a couple with very noticeable cracks that run along the length of them, finally got around to fixing it and when I took the guitar off the rack they were totally gone.

Disappearing and reappearing cracks in Ebony is an expected thing if someone is going to choose that species.

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
WTF?

"Then the tuners. I remove the strings to put on my preferred, and find the tuners moving around a LOT in their holes. They are pinned, not screwed in. OK, they just patsy-tightened the nuts and I need to snug them, right? Nope! The nuts are fully tightened. The headstock is too thin to snug the tuner nuts - there is no way this didn't get noticed in assembly or set-up. The whole headstock rattles like a baby toy. Couldn't Kiesel at least throw some washers on there to allow the nuts to snug? Apparenly not, I'll do it my damn self. The resulting movement of the tuners is high. Would this matter when tuned up to pitch? Maybe. A good bend (which I do a lot of) could shift the tuner substantially in its hole and affect tuning."
I still find the whole "first plan of business: neck reset" a bit sus, like hol up. Shouldn't it be "first plan of business: play the damn guitar"?

This whole fiasco would have been avoided if this dude didn't overinflate his guitar tinkering abilities and have guitar flaw hypochondria. This dude got a guitar that was perfectly functional but wasn't relieved properly not according to his hands, but to his stew mac neck relief ruler, and had slightly loose tuners. The rest is the equivalent of when my dad tried to fix our Honda Civic because he used to change the oil in his dad's 1970 Ford and read too many car & truck magazines. He just made the damn thing worse.

Except my dad wasn't mad at the dealership when they told him so.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
@Lord Voldemort It sounds like a pretty significant screw up and Kiesel admitted to remedying it. I take that to mean he was correct to take issue with it. This, like Narad said, is an issue you did not encounter. If you had encountered it, how would your experience compare to the OP's?

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Lord Voldemort It sounds like a pretty significant screw up and Kiesel admitted to remedying it. I take that to mean he was correct to take issue with it. This, like Narad said, is an issue you did not encounter. If you had encountered it, how would your experience compare to the OP's?
I don't think there's anything wrong with being disappointed with a guitar when you get it and doubly if it's brand new and the setup or installation issues make the guitar almost unplayable.

I do have a problem of writing a whole goddamn screenplay about it. That whole event could have been explained and resolved in three paragraphs. The hyperbole in the original post was nauseating.

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score

Interesting, that's not my interpretation of the situation at all haha, I mean we'll never truly know as Holloway said.

Based on this guy's severe lack of proper understanding of how guitars work, his huge swings and misses pertaining to other issues the perceived the guitar to have and straight up made worse with his overconfident ineptitude in trying to fix them, his severe paranoia pertaining to what the causation of these non-existent problems were and his attitude and continual moaning about the flaws that the guitar still had that I know for fact aren't present as I now possess it (won't stay in tune, harsh shrill pickups) I don't think he has a lot of credibility. Kiesel literally just said that they needed to be tightened, that's a quote from the tech. I'll stuff his logic as to the problem in the same category of the warped maxxed truss rod because of wet wood.

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
Way to try to generate youtube views by revisiting an old Kiesel that the original owner even said the issues were fixed after getting it back. That's in the first post of the 20 page thread. The issue was Kiesel dicking him around.

I think the consistent claim that I'm trying to get views from posting this here is fucking hilarious. This is a very slow, under trafficked forum. I have videos where I get tens of thousands of views, on other platforms like Instagram, TikTok, I have videos with millions. This is not a valid method of getting views, as it's not 2008. This thread has generated more consistent discussion than any other thread in weeks, so far as I can tell. Considering the uninviting attitude of the moderator I can see how this forum has been dwindled down to a dozen OGs arguing about sharp frets over the last few years.

You're entitled to your opinion, though.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think the consistent claim that I'm trying to get views from posting this here is fucking hilarious. This is a very slow, under trafficked forum. I have videos where I get tens of thousands of views, on other platforms like Instagram, TikTok, I have videos with millions. This is not a valid method of getting views, as it's not 2008. This thread has generated more consistent discussion than any other thread in weeks, so far as I can tell. Considering the uninviting attitude of the moderator I can see how this forum has been dwindled down to a dozen OGs arguing about sharp frets over the last few years.

You're entitled to your opinion, though.

I was referring to the video topic in general, posting it here is irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.