Ibanez 2024 NAMM

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I think its 27" that works out as a 25.5" guitar with an extra low fret, so all your muscle memory still works, compared to going from 25.5" to 24.75".

1718199368536.png

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah folks really over think and get in their headset about the physical difference in scale. It's the entire length of the scale that changes, not just the fretboard.

A 27" scale is just one fret added to the headstock end of the neck, 28.625" two frets, and 30" is actually just short of three due to rounding to the perfect "30".

In fact we use 34" scale basses because Leo Fender felt that five more fret lengths is all you'd need.

And remember the difference is proportional. So it's only a bigger stretch of about 5.5% moving up each time.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd owned two 27" 7s before I got a 25.5" and it just felt a bit odd. I feel the extra fret helps the instrument feel larger to match the extra width of the fretboard.
But just to reiterate, I hate 25.0" and 24.75" guitars.
And don't get me started on the 24.something BC Richs!

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
We can say failure to play any scale length is a skill issue of some description all day long. That's not what I'm saying.

Having the frets all be smaller works best for me across the board. I don't have issues hitting high frets with my stupid bit up hammer fingers and I don't prefer having to traverse extra entire inches from the first fret to the teens. From an economy of motion standpoint shorter scales are blatantly superior, though I do admit that's a factor which most players don't find limiting. I don't find it limiting either, but it's certainly not conducive for my playing.

I have half a mind to bring of coefficients of expansion right now but nobody wants a fucking math lesson and I would just be nerd posturing. I'll just say that I get my personal impressions on scale length from playing guitars with different scale lengths and not from lore crafting the ideal guitar in my own mind. It's a personal preference, I understand others disagree. That's fine.

ccc444

Reaction score
I have half a mind to bring of coefficients of expansion right now but nobody wants a fucking math lesson and I would just be nerd posturing.
I'd love to hear some nerd posturing. Coefficients of expansion are so advanced even google hasn't heard of them. Hit me!

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I'd love to hear some nerd posturing. Coefficients of expansion are so advanced even google hasn't heard of them. Hit me!
Start with the relationships between volume and surface area resulting in different ratios of SA/V, then thermal expansion if you want to track down the exact terminology. You can even get into relativity if you want.

A guitar's fretboard will experience a linear change with scale length and the frets will experience a dilation relative to their proportions and order. If I were to make a model it would have formulas predicated on these factors and their relationships as only one is linear, requiring coefficients.

Google hasn't heard of them because they either can't sell you one and/or it doesn't fit in with whatever the AI thinks you want. Read books instead.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I didn't know they made these in hardtails. This is top notch and I'll be on the hunt for the future.
They're fucking sick looking in person, pics never do the colorshift justice. I've played one, but didn't really like the neck profile. I idly browse for them from time to time all the same and it seems very hard to find a clean example these days. Definitely one of the cooler guitars Ibanez has made recently (2000+) IMO.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Were there any other models with that tail piece? That thing is gnarly as fugg.

Reaction score
I didn't know they made these in hardtails. This is top notch and I'll be on the hunt for the future.
There are a few on ebay at the moment:
1 - This one is listed 3 times, all the same photos, different price tags... wonder why...?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4050039557...UajuTNKy2FM0hPBd9L7AnDX0zB|tkp:Bk9SR6Lf0d2BZA
2 - This is the most recent 7 string model
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1349382461...H+RsdlMnAnHFJDW3at2PRMpQ==|tkp:Bk9SR46Dst2BZA
3 - This one is the color shifting model
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2854357145.../Hgmp7cdZHHA6gcuoAdFbMTZT3|tkp:Bk9SR46Dst2BZA

May your guitar hunt be short...

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nah, 27" is great for shred shit, too. Even for someone like me with very average sized hands.
Sometimes that little bit of extra spacing between the frets it nice when really high up on the board.
I agree 25.5 can feel tight past 17 or so

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Were there any other models with that tail piece? That thing is gnarly as fugg.
This one?
https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/Gibraltar_Custom "Other guitar models with a six- or seven-string Gibraltar Custom include the MMM1, Prestige SZ models and X series guitar models."

Who knows what that means year and version wise exactly, but it's essentially a tune o matic string through.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
tune o matic with a big ass sustain block bolted under it iirc there was an Iceman in that X700FX series too

Dayn

Reaction score
While we're detailing our elaborate fantasies that will never come true, I want another release of the white Halberd.

XH300_LSH.jpg

I was a poor as shit student when the XH300 came out. If it was released again, I'd buy it for the nostalgia. Though I'd want it as-is, and not a Prestige model, because I want a cheap one to have fun with.

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That has to be one the most uncomfortable looking guitar designs I’ve seen
While we're detailing our elaborate fantasies that will never come true, I want another release of the white Halberd.

View attachment 145005

I was a poor as shit student when the XH300 came out. If it was released again, I'd buy it for the nostalgia. Though I'd want it as-is, and not a Prestige model, because I want a cheap one to have fun with.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This one?
https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/Gibraltar_Custom "Other guitar models with a six- or seven-string Gibraltar Custom include the MMM1, Prestige SZ models and X series guitar models."

Who knows what that means year and version wise exactly, but it's essentially a tune o matic string through.
It's a thicc boi and it looks badass. I totally forgot that's what Mushok model had and didn't know that was their first guitar with it.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score

View attachment 145005

I was really close to getting a second Halberd during my touring years but ended up getting an ARZ model instead. I don't regret it, but I kinda wish I still got that second Halberd. :lol:

I said to myself that if people buy my music, then my future LACS or sig model will be based on a Halberd. I guess I can dream too. :lol: