Ibanez J-Custom 8 string

• Thread starter LordHar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
That's because those of us who thoroughly dislike that inlay (or JEMs. or Vai. or whatever) would usually rather not get hung, drawn, and quartered for committing SSO heresy. But fuck it. Someone opened the flood gates, so game on.

The vine inlay sucks donkey balls. Get rid of that, I might be interested, but that inlay is just as pathetic as Schecter crosses and Cooley pseudo-suns.
Meh, don't really care if others hate it. That's your opinion, I've got mine, glad we had a chance to share them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NoMod

Reformed misanthrope
Reaction score
Buy pickup covers or rings. Problem fucking solved. Ibanez released a mother fucking J. CUSTOM 8 STRING, and people are bitching about the $200 pickups that can easily be replaced. There's seriously no satisfying people. Ever.

/ragequit.

You shouldn't have to swap out pickups in a $4300 guitar. Simple as that. From the look of the pic they are just 808s...if they are 808X then that's another story I guess. But bog standard pickups-that-people-complain-about-and-pay-extra-to-replace 808s??? People will complain, and they have every right to, it's the internets and you can't stop them - complaining about people complaining is fucking pointless dude (although I am at risk of looking like I am complaining about people complaining about people complaining lol, but lets not overthink this)

If I just paid $4300 for a guitar I would not expect to have to change anything, period, ever, not $200, not $2, no fucking way...hell for that money I almost expect it to change it's own strings and set itself up!

...like it will affect 99.9% of the people in this thread anyway...it's all just GAS right now :cool:

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
And you don't have to swap them out. They're good quality pickups that some people seem to get butthurt over because they don't like actives. It's not like they stuck Lo-Z pickups in it.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
I personally love the vines shrug* Its a nice guitar. Wish I could afford it, but there are obviously comparable options for less. Still an exciting new model nonetheless

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
808X's in there it'll be right as rain. EMG bashers need to try these before immediately losing hope for EMG laden guitars.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
IMO spec bitching is like post spamming. As others have stated, I'm really impressed with Ibanez's stuff this year. I also really want to try an eight string w/EMG's. I think I'd really like the bottom end on them.

Zehailiu

Reaction score
At least it's cheaper than the M8M :lol:

Yeah the whole EMG thing is kind of hit or miss. You could just drop in a set of covered Lundgren's or get a custom set of covered Duncans. That's not a huge issue...

My only gripe is that they basically just took an RG2228 and stole the J-Custom 7 finishes and slapped it together as a new guitar. I have to admit I am a huge Ibanez fan and they have really taken more risks than most companies ever would. I understand it's hard to please everyone when you are making a production model guitar. I just can't afford to spend more than $2,000 a pop on pieces of gear anymore. I have plenty of shit already. For the money I would rather just get a JP7.

If that's not a new guitar for ibanez then wtf is? Fanned frets with strandberg hardware? titanium true temperament frets? Slanted dual hex screw bkps? Hand painted laquer finish?
How many ppl would that appeal to? Maybe 100 on here? 99 of which will say "OMG I"LL BUY ON IMMEDIATELY" then promptly fuck off, 1 will actually buy it then sell it 2 weeks later cuz his car broke down or mortage payments or some other bullshit.
If I was ibanez I would take a list of every suggestion on this site and ignore them like muslims ignore bbq bacon.

Sephiroth952

Ibby Fanboy
Reaction score
My only gripe is that they basically just took an RG2228 and stole the J-Custom 7 finishes and slapped it together as a new guitar.
Rg2228-Basswood
JCRG8-Mahogany w/Maple top
Most likely a different neck shape.
Higher quility woods and build.
Yep totally the same guitar with a different finish. :lol:

JP Universe

Giggity
Contributor
Reaction score
White EMG 808x's in there and you're golden :agreed:

I tend to think the other way when replacing pickups in expensive guitars... I mean if you've got the means to shell out $4300 what's another $200 :shrug:

spaghettipomodoro

Reaction score
Honestly the 7 string version of this always makes me have a raging hard on; that finish is just so nice. Trans-black flame plus tree of life, PLUS 8 strings = brb changing pants.

Though the 7 is still my favourite.

KarlMagnusRobin

Köttbullar är fint..
Reaction score
As Simon said.. I would stick a pair of white 808X's in that black one.. or the sunburst one.. if I had the money..

Well, If I had the money I would probably get something else that's right from the start :lol:

But hey, Ibanez are really dishing out 8 strings this year and that IS awesome for everyone who's interested! :D

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with discussing what you don't like about a guitar, to a certain degree. It's one thing to discuss what does or doesn't appeal to you, but another to state that the company isn't doing a good job because you don't like what they've put out.

If nobody ever said anything negative about anything, it would honestly be pretty boring to read, with everybody just saying how great everything is. Gordon Ramsay said, "When people talk about my restaurants, I only listen to the negatives, because that's how you get better." Granted, some are full of shit and just whining for the sake of it, but I'm sure Ibanez aren't going to read this thread and scrap the whole thing. :lol:

tl;dr

This guitar really isn't my thing, but it's another high end production 8-string that many people will enjoy. I feel that they should have included 808x's on it at that price point, but that's their call.