Ibanez S series discussion

• Thread starter Bownze
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chopeth

Reaction score
I also think the S are far better than the RGs. I love my 520ex, a pure metal machine, and even though I hold a couple of customs, I feel it's a huge quality for the price everytime I go back to my sabre. Most comfortable guitar line ever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dmlinger

PepperFox Guitars
Reaction score
Major love for the S. The first quality guitar I ever bought was a 2004 S1620FB. Have had it over 10 years and it's still my go-to. Have owned Suhr, Mayones, Jackson USA, and while those brands do surpass it in build quality, there is just something special about the S.

Recently picked up a minty FGM100 in desert sun yellow which is also quite amazing.

Bownze

Keeping it weird
Reaction score
The previous version of the one you were playing in GC was the 2013 model year S 421, and used to be equipped with the high shoulder Gibraltar Standard I bridge. I'd imagine the new Hipshot Gibraltar replacement or a Gibraltar Standard II would drop right in and you'd have a KILLER hard tail setup for about 300-400

The S 421 came in Blackberry Sunburst or Flat Black

Starting in 2014 they changed it to the S 521 and replaced the Gibraltar type bridge with a plain fender style hardtail, which couldn't be too hard to upgrade with a Gotoh or something
You have a little more choice of colors in

Blackberry Sunburst (BBS) / Light Violin Sunburst (LVS) 2014–2016 / Mahogany Oil (MOL) 2015 / Ocean Fade Metallic (OFM) 2017
Thanks for this info. I was definitely wondering what previous model years had to offer.

zeropoint

Reaction score
I've got an SIX27-FDBG (iron label, but a 7 string S with mahogany body and bubinga veneer top with a blank ebony fretboard) - It plays sooooooo damn well, I just can't get along with the blank fretboard though, since I'm a fretboard gawker. It just doesn't work for my brain. I've looked at lots of "more standard" S models since buying that one, but life keeps getting in the way and I keep buying other non-guitar stuff.

TLDR: light weight, slim profile, great playability. No real complaints.

Sleazy_D

Reaction score
Funny that I’m seeing this thread, I just dipped my toes in the water of S land, I liked it so much that I bought two more. Iron labels but they feel just fine to me. Super comfy

pahulkster

Reaction score
I've been thinking about ordering a SIX6FDFM. Very different to anything I have. I saw one at Sam Ash but it was way up on the wall and nobody was around. I want a standard bridge, and the Prestige model is like $1000 more.

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
The Iron Label S models are probably the better options available in that series right now. Not super expensive, but still well-put-together, and the stock pickups are pretty decent. Plus, I dunno why, but I've been digging the look of ebony fretboards lately. I'll likely be picking one up when I get the chance.

Only thing, if you plan to get the hardtail models, you're gonna want to find somewhere to try them out first to make sure you like the feel... Without the the trem adding some weight, those things are lighter than air! I actually had trouble getting used to it.

Sleazy_D

Reaction score
The iron labels feel better than any jap esp that I own, to me. It’s bewildering for sure.

Attachments

• 36B08ACA-A266-44BC-839A-716EA386BD70.jpeg
    36B08ACA-A266-44BC-839A-716EA386BD70.jpeg
    1,019.6 KB · Views: 30

seahawk29

Reaction score
I had an old 90s RG for years but the S series always felt great when I played them in guitar shops. These days I think I prefer the look too. The late 90s-early 2000s S MIJ Prestige guitars are fantastic and can be had for fairly cheap on eBay, Reverb, etc. Also the ones with the "Custom Made" inlay at the 21st fret are cool too. Think they were late 80s-early 90s. Definitely worth checking out. The Prestige MIJ Ibanezes of those eras are imo far superior to the ones made these days.

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
As an current/past owner of few RGs, S and JPM i must say that there is some mojo with the S line. I mean the tone. I think the body’s shape conributes to the meaty yet focused sound. Regarding ergonomics i tend to like RGs more. I know know. The ergo issue with S line for me is the lack of a proper arm bevel. I got a belly :lol: and while the S’es body is nice and close to my belly, it somewhat sticks out. The lack of the deep forearm cut is noticable for me. With RG/JPM i have no issue. The best shape would be RG shape with lens shape like S and with deep forearm cutaway. BTW i modified the body of my S. That „mahog” is very light both in weight and color. It is also very soft and porous. A nightmare to work with. It is not the proper mahogany i that know.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
S series are killer guitars.

I would not hesitate to buy one if I were you but I would prefer a used 92' 540s or 93' S540 or something from that era.

I bought a 2011(ish) S series and there was no comparison. The older models are hands down significantly better IMO plus you can find them used for $500 or less in good shape.

I have grown away from Ibanez and that old Wizard neck but it is still a killer guitar.

Mike

Reaction score
I just hate the jack placement on them

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
I just hate the jack placement on them

You hate the way they look?

Because practically speaking that is the most functional location for a jack. Almost the same as a Strat, but with a more forgiving angle. You can play them in any position sitting down and the jack will never interfere with your leg. Also standing the angle is perfect for a straight jack not to pull out.

Mike

Reaction score
You hate the way they look?

Because practically speaking that is the most functional location for a jack. Almost the same as a Strat, but with a more forgiving angle. You can play them in any position sitting down and the jack will never interfere with your leg. Also standing the angle is perfect for a straight jack not to pull out.

Functionally I just don't like it. I own an S5528LW and the jack position is annoying to plug and unplug cables. I use all g&h/switchcraft style connectors and you can only get your fingertips on the bottom half inch of the connector when pulling out (giggidy). This wouldn't normally be a bother, but every barrell jack I've ever used, including ibanez stock ones are tight fitting as all hell in conjunction with my plugs. Bottom placed jacks (i.e. most single cuts and super straps) allow the connector to kind of spin and rotate a little bit with you as you move, but with the S in body jack, that same movement can get a little hindered turning left and right (obviously depending on where the amp is in relation to you) as a good 3-4inches of cable runs straight across the body unless you tuck it through your strap, which an old man like me doesn't feel like doing everytime I just feel like picking up the guitar and wankin around.

Anal? Yes, but idc, I'm picky and that's my 2 cents worth of experience with it. Never solved any problem I ever had with a right angle connector and a bottom mounted jack.

Latest posts