If you could play like anyone, who would it be?

• Thread starter ncfiala
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
John McLaughlin :hbang:

The guy is a monster player who influenced so may musicians from jazz to metal. His command on the instrument and his vocabulary is absolutely on a different level.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
Um....Guthrie Govan. I just want to know what it feels like to have every note sound so direct, clear, and flawless. I'm slowly getting there, but damn, every time I watch one of his videos I feel like how I do when I was first starting out on the guitar - in awe of everything I heard with a desire to learn how to play what I was hearing. I guess I shouldn't pursue that though because playing guitar would lose its magic. :)

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a little drunk and this question just popped into my head

Only reasonable way to ask this question :-D

* Paco de Lucia, because I want to turn a flamenco guitar into flames with my fingers.

* Allan Holdsworth, because legato, amazing jazz-rock fusion solos, and never-repeating improvisations are just ....ing amazing.

* Joe Pass, because owning a song so deeply ... no words.

* Paul Gilbert, from tasty riffs, through amazing rhythm rock guitar, to impressive and smart shred. Also, comedy :)

Notice that none of them can play like each-other.

mniel8195

Reaction score
Thats easy...Guthrie Govan. I have never seen a guitar player live that blew me away like he does.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Guthrie Govan's skills crossed with David Gilmore's emotion and expressiveness. Basically I could play anything I liked then.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Combination of Nuno Bettencourt and George Lynch would be nice

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
edit: i'm gonna post videos instead.

wish i could jazz (and sing at the same time!) like those guys:

bridging the gap between jazz and metal:

yes, Javier, not Tosin.

and of course some actual broutez (3:15 for the playing):

Jaxcharvel

Reaction score
Guthrie. That man is a mutant who can play any style like he was born to it. Best overall guitarist I've ever heard by a pretty wide margin.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
I would say it'd be myself, but I'm not there yet :)

If I really had to write a wishlist, I'd say as expressive as David Gimour, as creative as Steve Vai, as tight as Jed Simon, as confident as Guthrie Govan, and many more parallels...

Nice to see this. Jed is a bud and a super nice guy, in spite of being a monster guitar player. :lol:

For me it'd be Dime, Jerry Cantrell and David Gilmour. I could be some combination of those 3 guys and get every single piece of music out of my head with ease, instead of struggling like I do with it now. Man that would rock so hard.

mongey

Reaction score
Chet Atkins. Be fun as hell to just sit there and accompany yourself

Or tommy Emmanuel. Amazing solo fingerstyle acoustic styles