Intonation Questions

• Thread starter Nile
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
So I have the intonation fine on one string but when I play it on any of the frets it is varying levels of sharp.

I don't know what the problem is, but could it be messed up frets that need to be leveled/re-crowned that causes it? I'm not very knowledgeable with intonation.

Another question I have is that trying to intonate the 7th string, a 59 in A on a tune-0-matic style bridge with the neck very close to straight. I have the saddle maxed out and it is still way sharp, and the only way to get it even close is lowering the bridge to the point that it creates a large amount of buzzing on fretted notes. I don't really know how to proceed with evening it out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pastanator

electronic musician
Reaction score
a friend of mine had an issue with an ltd horizon similar to this a few years back and we determined the frets were messed up and maybe in the wrong place even. his thing was like, the open power chord was in tune, and the further he moved up the neck it got more and more and more out of tune.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I recently had some intonation problems that stemmed from an improperly cut nut, maybe you've got a similar issue.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Perfect intonation on traditionally fretted guitars is impossible. Can't defeat physics.

Disclaimer 2: The accuracy of your tuner in both tuning and tracking can significantly affect accuracy of intonation and ease of setting.

With that out of the way, let's get to the bottom of this:

1) Which string?
2) Where are you setting the intonation, anywhere other than the 12th fret?
3) How far off and on what frets?
4) Have you tried a different set of strings?

As for the saddle, set it forward and try again. If it's still far off, flip the saddle around, usually gives you a bit more room.

Lain

Reaction score
Is having a tech in your area check it an option?
Did you try a second tuner?
How much off are the certain frets? As MaxOfMetal said, you sadly won't get 100% perfect intonation with a standard guitar.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
1) Which string? It is pretty much my low B and E strings.
2) Where are you setting the intonation, anywhere other than the 12th fret? I've just been using the 12th fret.
3) How far off and on what frets? The B I can't even get within range of being correct, and the E is right as far as the 12th fret intonation method goes but when fretted it is anywhere from one to three cents (? I believe) sharp on different frets. The first fret on either string is 1/4 step sharp.
4) Have you tried a different set of strings? I have not, it seems fine on every string but the B and E.

As for the saddle, set it forward and try again. If it's still far off, flip the saddle around, usually gives you a bit more room. Completely forgot you could do this.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Is having a tech in your area check it an option?
Did you try a second tuner?
How much off are the certain frets? As MaxOfMetal said, you sadly won't get 100% perfect intonation with a standard guitar.

I have tried a second tuner.

I am pretty sure there one tech I can go to here. I know for a fact the other tech isn't that good and is only one because his mom owns the store.

I am mostly trying to learn this stuff for myself and I don't think I would have the opportunity/time to watch the tech if I do bring it to them.

I know I can't get it 100%, I just have never had things be this off before. I can't even have the B and E in tune and make a power chord that even sounds anywhere close to one.