Is Mick Thomson (Slipknot) with Jackson now?

• Thread starter p88
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
It's probably attributed to his back injuries from prolonged headbanging (he REALLY banged his head back in the day) which now causes him to have regular and severe back pain. That's also the reason he never moves around on stage anymore, and more or less is either kind of just standing there, or just walks around.

I couldn't imagine him staying in much shape with that many years of strain on his spine.

Yeah he has piled the pounds on. The dude is in his 40s now, that alone makes it that much harder to stay in shape, it's not surprising he is massive now when you consider his neck and back injury. It's sad for me, because the sight of Mick headbanging like hell with his Bc Rich is one of the iconic metal guitar images for me, it's a shame he can't do that any more, but I can only wish him the best for his health in the future.

Nice guitars though, but that Double Rhoads would look ridiculous on anyone smaller than Mick. I remember playing the ESP Dave Mustaine signature V and it was comically large, it was like a joke guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metalman X

The Resplendent Sub-Human
Reaction score
Ohh, these got my interest. Not even into Slipknot, just that larger guitars, especially V's interest me! (also, those AHB-3 pickups are amazing for low-tuned stuff)

Same reason apparently as Mick.... I'm a big dude (6'2", and well over 400lbs.... ), and most guitars, even basses, look comically small on me. I mean, you see a pic of say, Dan Spitz with a PRS les Paul shape, and it looks normal, even big on him.... I hold the same guitar and you'd think I was about to bust out "Tip Toe Through the Tulips" or some .....

V shapes are great for anyone with a big belly too.... you tuck the strap over the rear horn and it slightly angles the guitar back up, instead of your belly pushing it down to face the floor and putting all that strain on your wrist. Warlocks and Ironbirds work great for this as well. Otherwise, your only other option is to strap the guitar up close to your chest, which is fine for some, just not my thing. Don't even get me started on the hell that is finding straps long enough to accommodate someone of my behemoth like proportions..... (hint: you can buy extenders for certain leather straps on Ebay. nice!)

cip 123

Reaction score
It's probably attributed to his back injuries from prolonged headbanging (he REALLY banged his head back in the day) which now causes him to have regular and severe back pain. That's also the reason he never moves around on stage anymore, and more or less is either kind of just standing there, or just walks around.

I couldn't imagine him staying in much shape with that many years of strain on his spine.

While it's obviously a horrible problem to have. Speaking from a strictly stage presence point of view, the standing still and not doing much works equally well for him. Big Menacing guy, especially with his mask. Just figured I'd throw that in there :)

Really surprised the Trems have a rear route, I figured they'd be top mounted since he likes his locking bridges fixed. Or seems to anyway.

RUSH_Of_Excitement

Reaction score
While it's obviously a horrible problem to have. Speaking from a strictly stage presence point of view, the standing still and not doing much works equally well for him. Big Menacing guy, especially with his mask. Just figured I'd throw that in there :)

Really surprised the Trems have a rear route, I figured they'd be top mounted since he likes his locking bridges fixed. Or seems to anyway.

Yeah, I noticed that too, although it might be because Jackson currently doesn't have a bridge too similar to what the Ibanez one was (correct me if I'm wrong though). But it looks like the slot for the trem bar is locked up so it probs doesn't have trem use anyway

p88

Reaction score
i think your right ^^^. jackson dont yet have a comparable bridge.
a few of his LACS had blocked edge tremolos, so i imagine it's the same deal here.

xzacx

Reaction score
I couldn't care less about slipknot, but I'm so in if that Double Rhoads becomes a USA production model.

theicon2125

Reaction score
I hope that Jackson can come up with something similar to to the Edge fixed bridge. I anyways loved the idea of it.

RLG167

Reaction score
from the man him self (instagram @7mick7)

2a0c66b.jpg

"Now that I can talk about it - custom Jacksons! Double Rhoads V and Soloist. Proud to be a Jackson guy."

SWEEEET!!!!!!

Aso

Single Hum Zealot
Reaction score
I couldn't care less about slipknot, but I'm so in if that Double Rhoads becomes a USA production model.

I'd be surprised if they did a double rhoads since the only current way to get one is by going Masterbuilt. I hope they do but when I ordered my masterbuilt king v I thought of going with a double rhoads instead. Reason I didn't is I thought it would look/be too big and I am 6'2 205. I feel you have to be a monster to make a double rhoads like right.

cip 123

Reaction score
I'd love to see a red soloist similar to his red ibanez sig.

RLG167

Reaction score
I thought he would go with a Warrior, but maybe with another 2" bigger around the edge. The one thing I don't like is the blade switch. I find they get in the way. I much prefer toggle style, but to each his own

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
Me no likey the reverse headstock. Any form of reverse banana/hockey stick looks wrong to my eyes, though I'm quite sure I'm in the minority there.

I'm in the same boat. I really like certain designs as reverse headstocks, but bananas ain't them. It's more noticeable on explorers when it goes from a sort of "S" shape to a "U" shape, but I digress.

That V really is quite the looker, and I would love to have one. My father has a black King V lying around somewhere in storage. Might just have to go dig it up and play around with it.

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
I'm kinda surprised he's gone to Jackson, he's been an Ibanez dude for FOREVER. But hey, tastes change, or perhaps something behind the scenes affected it.

Either way, those two Jacksons look sweet. The Rhodes Double V looks way better than a King V, IMO.