It exists: Rondo/Brice Defiant 7 string

• Thread starter LordCashew
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Brice Defiant 735 Nat Bubinga - RondoMusic.com

defiant735rnnatbubinga1.jpg

Looks alright for $600. :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HanSulu

Djentleman_007
Reaction score
Seen this late last night, I'm not a bassist but this sure makes me want to become one haha

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
Where is this listed in the site. I can only find it using your link... Man I wish it was multiscale!! Wonder how the 35" works with the C and F?

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Where is this listed in the site. I can only find it using your link...

I can't find it on the site either. I was thinking maybe it had sold out, but after I tried to add some to my cart the site said there is only one left. Maybe it's a prototype? I got the link via email since I'm on Rondo's mailing list - it's possible that Kurt figures one of us on the list (which includes many SSO members) will buy it. He's probably right.

Man I wish it was multiscale!! Wonder how the 35" works with the C and F?

Agree. Multiscale would be awesome, and he could do it. But this is a huge step IMO. The basses are catching up to the guitars in terms of scale options and now string count. He's already got multiscale 5 strings as well as standard scale 6 and 7 strings. Now it would be awesome if he could do a semi-custom Defiant run similar to the Intrepid/Interceptor runs, making different scale/string count/finish combinations available. If I was in the market for a new bass I would be seriously interested in something like that, provided the quality was comparable to Agile guitars.

In regards to the the 35" scale on the high strings, I find a high C to be perfectly acceptable on my 35" sixes with the right strings. With the wrong strings, it can be really pingy. The F might be a different story as it's apparently pretty hard to make a wound string that will hold that pitch even at 34". I think with a 35" scale we're stuck with plain strings. I've messed around with a BTB7 with a plain F and while though it definitely felt different I didn't notice a jarring difference in tone compared to the other strings.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
This really should be a fanned fret bass.

Straight frets on a 7 string bass really isn't that bad. I have one @ 35". It's tuned to E0 with no problems. Next step 8 strings, right? :lol:

I feel like I need a low E0 and a high F...

GuitarBizarre

Listen to physics.
Reaction score
Its hilarious that you guys are debating whether 35" is enough to tune that low, but all the ERG guys are scared of 30" scale for a 9 string tuned a half step above your low B.

Just proves what I've been saying all along - the ERG crowd want the impossible and are prepared to sacrifice all tuning stability to get it.

ixlramp

Reaction score
Being an ERG forum there is obsession with fanned frets, but it's not needed so much on an ERB. Fanned frets are primarily a guitar thing to keep a familiar gauge and tension on the top E while allowing a long scale low down. A 34-35" scale for ERB high strings is no problem, it only improves the clarity and harmonicity of the mid to high strings, if it's too bright just reduce the gauge and tension to mellow the tone. The problem is more the over-tensioning of high strings in bass sets.
Most ERBassists prefer straight frets, it's only really needed for 11+ strings.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its hilarious that you guys are debating whether 35" is enough to tune that low, but all the ERG guys are scared of 30" scale for a 9 string tuned a half step above your low B.

Just proves what I've been saying all along - the ERG crowd want the impossible and are prepared to sacrifice all tuning stability to get it.

The octave and note might be the same, but the desired tone is vastly different.

Difference between fundamental vs. transients and overtones.

Not to mention the differences between bass and guitar string construction, amplification, and desired tonality.

If you pick the open E1 on a 27" to 30" scale guitar and compare it to the open E1 on a 32" to 35" scale bass you'll notice, even if played through the same rig, the tone is incredibly different. The guitar is going for the overtones and the bass will be grounded in the fundamental.

For a more active example, look at Meshuggah. The guitar and bass are played in unison, the same octave, but you can hear the separation between the guitar and bass when you listen to the tracks separately. They can share the same frequency range because the both take up different parts of it.

Worth a quick read: http://howmusicreallyworks.com/Pages_Chapter_3/3_2.html