Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
@LCW Glad you posted this - I was contemplating putting an illuminator in the bridge because the super distortion seems a bit “dry” at times, but it really does tighten up my playing and sound incredible. Especially with lead work.
Besides, I already have another guitar with an illuminator in the bridge.
These really are great guitars. I won’t be changing anything in the near future.

Reactions: LCW

LCW

Reaction score
These Korean Wildcard guitars look even better than the new Japanese series. I love that paint up close! Those flakes!

Yeah they’re sleepers for sure. The binding and fretwork is excellent as well.

LCW

Reaction score
@LCW Glad you posted this - I was contemplating putting an illuminator in the bridge because the super distortion seems a bit “dry” at times, but it really does tighten up my playing and sound incredible. Especially with lead work.
Besides, I already have another guitar with an illuminator in the bridge.
These really are great guitars. I won’t be changing anything in the near future.

I had an X2N and a Chopper I’m the neck. The X2N was fun just a bit too much for anything but Death. The Chopper matched it well bit the Air Norton S is a better match for the SD. Very smooth and warm, yet clear.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t know that blue sparkle just looks extremely cheap to me. I think it’s the chrome hardware and the sparkle finish looks fake.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Yea it is probably a difficult guitar to photograph too. I'd be curious to see it in direct sunlight.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Soloist Pro SL2Q MAH with a nice maple top. Unlike certain Ibanez guitars in particular, the maple top is actually a substantial slice, not a veneer. They blandly call it Transparent Green, but I call it Emerald. :agreed:

The top is perfect to my eyes, and I picked it based on that, although fortunately I was able to play it in the store to judge the overall potential first. Extremely difficult to photograph, but looks fantastic in person. This guitar and its brother (natural finish poplar top) are the first I've had with the Distortion neck, which I've quickly grown to love for solos. Has more mids than my usual '59N and is great for my fluid style. Did my standard issue Callaham springs (4 for this guitar) and Curt Mangan 10-46 set + setup, and I don't think it needs anything else. But who knows. Its brother also has the Distortion set, so maybe I'll eventually try something off the beaten path with this one. This is my late '80s/early '90s Prog-Metal revival guitar. Brand new and little stiff, so I've got to put some miles on it! It doesn't come from the factory feeling broken in, but I can change that.

Emerald.jpg

Marked Man

Reaction score
Speaking of its brother, here it is. Soloist SL2P Desert Sand with poplar top. I could never beat the seller's photos, so I'll reuse them. This one was only slightly used but felt much more broken in immediately and has the edge in tone. Still a fair amount of variation among the MIIs I suppose. I'm definitely satisfied with both without a doubt, especially for what I paid. Neither can hang with my '92 Pro, but they have their place.

Poplar 1.jpg

Poplar 2.jpg

Marked Man

Reaction score
The green one looks amazing! I really dig the sharkfin inlays as well!

At first I wished these had the traditional big Soloist sharkfins, but I've grown to dig this look. Really lets you see more of the beautiful ebony boards. Ebony is King for me. :cheers:

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
I posted this in the GAS thread and figured it may have use here.

RE: Jackson QC

I picked up a black SL7 about 6 months ago, right about when they were discontinued for the new colors. I just wanted 25.5" 7 string Soloist with a oil finished neck and a floyd. The big reverse headstock was a bonus and I would have loved big sharks but whatever.

Sample size of one but shit, it's really good and for sub 1k it's pretty damn great. The cheap floyd has zero issues except some rough threads which I expected, solid SD pups, even the binding work while not custom shop perfect has no obvious flaws. The guitar feels solid, and just does what it should.

The one flaw would be how they rout the trem cavity as it isn't wide enough and with 5 springs the bass side outside spring rubs slighty on the body. I use 4 springs with 7s so just removed one and set up with my strings and all is well.

So if a pro series Jackson checks enough boxes for you and you can set up a guitar and accept the minor issues that many ~1K import guitars have then I say give it a shot. A good return policy will protect you from a lemon and sometimes you just need a Jackson to do Jackson shit.

Still waiting on the Loomis Pro Soloist. :coffee:

mbardu

Reaction score
Soloist Pro SL2Q MAH with a nice maple top. Unlike certain Ibanez guitars in particular, the maple top is actually a substantial slice, not a veneer. They blandly call it Transparent Green, but I call it Emerald. :agreed:

The top is perfect to my eyes, and I picked it based on that, although fortunately I was able to play it in the store to judge the overall potential first. Extremely difficult to photograph, but looks fantastic in person. This guitar and its brother (natural finish poplar top) are the first I've had with the Distortion neck, which I've quickly grown to love for solos. Has more mids than my usual '59N and is great for my fluid style. Did my standard issue Callaham springs (4 for this guitar) and Curt Mangan 10-46 set + setup, and I don't think it needs anything else. But who knows. Its brother also has the Distortion set, so maybe I'll eventually try something off the beaten path with this one. This is my late '80s/early '90s Prog-Metal revival guitar. Brand new and little stiff, so I've got to put some miles on it! It doesn't come from the factory feeling broken in, but I can change that.

View attachment 96460

Looks fantastic indeed and the green is perfect.
Those feels surprisingly similar to the real USA deal, and only thing I'd change would be stainless steel frets.

Why do you feel it's a top rather than a veneer? Looks very similar to my SL2 (like it could almost be from the same billet), also same year, same factory - and I'm pretty sure mine is a veneer. Not complaining though, it's among the best veneers I've ever owned - and there's nothing wrong with veneers; I've had USA soloists built that way.

SMSMDSC02195.JPG