Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

Marked Man

Reaction score
Don’t think anyone’s mentioned these: MIJ Rick Graham and Guthrie sigs:

jm25uJ8U4U5Sv3tZGLPXAa-1280-80.jpg

The one on the bottom has an odd looking trem with Floyd style tuning screws. I haven't kept up with it lately, but have the issues with Charvel's non-Floyd style trem guitars been resolved? I know I read some didn't think they were very stable.

Personally I like the big chunk o' metal look of a traditional Floyd. It might be a Buick at the bridge, but it's my Buick. That's my generation. :cheers:

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The one on the bottom has an odd looking trem with Floyd style tuning screws. I haven't kept up with it lately, but have the issues with Charvel's non-Floyd style trem guitars been resolved? I know I read some didn't think they were very stable.

Personally I like the big chunk o' metal look of a tradition Floyd. It might be a Buick at the bridge, but it's my Buick. That's my generation. :cheers:

It's non-fine tuner model, something of a reissue of the original bridges Floyd himself made in his garage, before he realized he needed fine tuners.

They've been out for years now, being used similar to the Gotoh 510, on guitars that don't have locking nuts.

Stability is no better or worse than any other non-locking nut setup.

ClownShoes

Reaction score

I remember hearing about that too when they changed from Floyd Rose branded trems to their own in-house version.

Anyway, they all come with these now:

Govan-USA.png
Govan.png

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I remember hearing about that too when they changed from Floyd Rose branded trems to their own in-house version.

Anyway, they all come with these now:

Govan-USA.png
Govan.png

Floyd's patents expired, so they can make pretty much any "Floyd Rose" product and brand it how they see fit. They can also build them in-house and OEM cheaper than going through Floyd Rose (the company) who gets them OEM from Schaller anyway.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Blame the people in the Jackson USA Facebook group for this, and similar. Those are the sorts that can't even play and order a custom shop guitar every year.

Being a member there, I can confirm. There are some Jackson artists and builders lurking around the group, though (which is cool).

It's much scarier in other groups (like the Chondro Snakepit), where 10k guitars are sold within hours of being posted.

To me the worst part of Jackson USA FB group is the FFAF (Free For All Friday), where you're allowed to post anything you like. This sounds like a cool oportunity to see cool stuff, but the only thing you see are dozens of rifles/machinegun posts all over, to trigger (pun intended) anti-gun people (or pussies, as they call them) and start e-drama. It happens EVERY GODDAMN TIME.

Every month after FFAF you see plenty of posts of people leaving the group due to that, so they basically do it for fun of making people leave. So fucking childish for +40yo guys that should be playing their guitars instead of starting FB fires.

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Being a member there, I can confirm. There are some Jackson artists and builders lurking around the group, though (which is cool).

It's much scarier in other groups (like the Chondro Snakepit), where 10k guitars are sold within hours of being posted.

To me the worst part of Jackson USA FB group is the FFAF (Free For All Friday), where you're allowed to post anything you like. This sounds like a cool oportunity to see cool stuff, but the only thing you see are dozens of rifles/machinegun posts all over, to trigger (pun intended) anti-gun people (or pussies, as they call them) and start e-drama. It happens EVERY GODDAMN TIME.

Every month after FFAF you see plenty of posts of people leaving the group due to that, so they basically do it for fun of making people leave. So fucking childish for +40yo guys that should be playing their guitars instead of starting FB fires.

Most of the "legacy" brands have a niche following like that, but for whatever reason, Jackson always seemed to have it worse.

Every NAMM there would be a contingent of Boomers (now more Gen X'er) who would buy a pass off of whatever small dealer they were keeping alive by ordering high end Jacksons once a month and creep the booth acting like they owned the company while getting in the way and calling anyone who didn't have a beer gut, bald spot, or non-ironic barbed-wire tattoo a "kid". Just be obnoxious and almost take pride in keeping folks from enjoying the displays.

Thankfully, FMIC started cracking down on that some years ago.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I literally skip reading the group on Fridays because of this. It's pathetic that the mods won't actually put a stop to it, since it's not something a mod group would allow at ANY forum I moderate, but...

The JCF group is much better, IMO, although the range of posters is smaller.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score

Which group exactly is this? FB USA Jacksons or FB Usa Custom Jacksons? I remember quitting both lol. Has it gotten worse? I like hanging around the more relaxed Jackson/Charvel group and the other Jackson group whose mod is the owner of CMC guitars.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Which group exactly is this? FB USA Jacksons or FB Usa Custom Jacksons? I remember quitting both lol. Has it gotten worse? I like hanging around the more relaxed Jackson/Charvel group and the other Jackson group whose mod is the owner of CMC guitars.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170342183314742/

They banned the FFAF thing to avoid montly drama but I think they brought it back recently. I just look at the pictures these days.

jco5055

Reaction score
I'm a member there too...I don't know why (and a place like rigtalk might be the worst) all these guys who grew up with 80s metal, which was about rebelling against the status quo/against reaganomics etc, is pretty much a circle if you draw a venn diagram with these members and trump supporters/vaccine deniers etc.

It's like they just want to "rebel" against what is considered I guess "correct" by society at large at this point, without actually examining what the issues are, as I believe in the 80s overall they were rebelling against ideas/policies that are considered bad now in 2021 by everyone except Fox News watchers etc..they are basically the parents they were rebelling against at this point.

soliloquy

Reaction score
Most of the "legacy" brands have a niche following like that, but for whatever reason, Jackson always seemed to have it worse.

Every NAMM there would be a contingent of Boomers (now more Gen X'er) who would buy a pass off of whatever small dealer they were keeping alive by ordering high end Jacksons once a month and creep the booth acting like they owned the company while getting in the way and calling anyone who didn't have a beer gut, bald spot, or non-ironic barbed-wire tattoo a "kid". Just be obnoxious and almost take pride in keeping folks from enjoying the displays.

Thankfully, FMIC started cracking down on that some years ago.

Though I've never truly experienced that from the Jackson side, many years ago, Jackson's unofficial (or was it official?) slogan was 'Jackson is the best, fuck the rest'. That never sit right with me, and I kind of started distancing myself from the brand since. Though reading up on what the other posted wrote up above, and Jackson kind of enabling them really doesn't sit right with me.

that is one of the reasons why I quit Dean forum. Though people were generally nice, this attitude of 'holier than thou' always irritated me. Glad I never went to any NAMM if that is what I'd be running into.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a member there too...I don't know why (and a place like rigtalk might be the worst) all these guys who grew up with 80s metal, which was about rebelling against the status quo/against reaganomics etc, is pretty much a circle if you draw a venn diagram with these members and trump supporters/vaccine deniers etc.

It's like they just want to "rebel" against what is considered I guess "correct" by society at large at this point, without actually examining what the issues are, as I believe in the 80s overall they were rebelling against ideas/policies that are considered bad now in 2021 by everyone except Fox News watchers etc..they are basically the parents they were rebelling against at this point.

OJFC you’re grasping. If you’re going that route at least properly lump dean people in. Their fb group was all confederate flags on the walls behind people posting video who could barely spell.

the Jackson fb group are just a bunch of cranky old men with beer bellies and awful hair.

ClownShoes

Reaction score

Don't want this thread to go OT, but I only recently got back into guitars two years ago. I used to browse a ton of forums in the early 2000s as a kid and it's crazy to see how certain forums (RT) turned into boomer central.

Facebook culture ruined a lot of good things, people used to be way more civil online. I'm glad SSO is still here and still interesting!

Dooky

Reaction score
Interesting reading these comments about the various Jackson groups.
I quit a lot of the Jackson groups years ago just because there seemed to be so many cringey douchebags clogging up the newfeeds with selfies of themselves, or videos of themselves, playing their guitars attempting to look 'brootal metalz bruh!'. I've liked Jackson for many years - but a lot of the dudes on these groups made me embarrassed to be in some way associated with Jackson. A lot of the other guitar brand groups didn't seem to have anywhere near the same level of douchebaggery as the Jackson groups. I guess there must just be something about Jackson that attracts douchebags... … maybe I'm a douchebag and I never knew it!...

jco5055

Reaction score
OJFC you’re grasping. If you’re going that route at least properly lump dean people in. Their fb group was all confederate flags on the walls behind people posting video who could barely spell.

the Jackson fb group are just a bunch of cranky old men with beer bellies and awful hair.

I was never a member of Dean, so if Dean is worse I don't have that experience to temper my thoughts on Jackson...but it's true it's not like rigtalk for example where it's constant, but when they had FFAF and it was the 2020 election season...it was bad. But yes in a general sense it's not a daily occurrence where you see someone get political on there. Doesn't change the fact that a lot of the more prominent members have those viewpoints though.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of the other guitar brand groups didn't seem to have anywhere near the same level of douchebaggery as the Jackson groups. I guess there must just be something about Jackson that attracts douchebags... … maybe I'm a douchebag and I never knew it!...

FB groups in general are terrible. I mean the Mesa Triaxis FB Group is filled with people with massive fridges of rack gear that don't even know how to change a tube.

Also, 90% of the posts are answered in the manual.

Last edited:

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
That's pretty much every amp forum/group. :lol:

Old tech in general, even. One of the best things I did as a teenager was read a couple of Ritchie Fliegler's books on tube amp repair. I still don't typically work on my own amps but I can at least understand the amp manual and diagnose problems. You see some guys who won't even replace preamp tubes on their own. I'm not saying that to gatekeep, I just think you need to learn where to spend your money. It's a bit like paying a guitar tech $50+/hr to polish your frets and give your guitar a wipe down. Save the expert help for the painstaking stuff.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Old tech in general, even. One of the best things I did as a teenager was read a couple of Ritchie Fliegler's books on tube amp repair. I still don't typically work on my own amps but I can at least understand the amp manual and diagnose problems. You see some guys who won't even replace preamp tubes on their own. I'm not saying that to gatekeep, I just think you need to learn where to spend your money. It's a bit like paying a guitar tech $50+/hr to polish your frets and give your guitar a wipe down. Save the expert help for the painstaking stuff.

I'm lucky as I'm someone who works with their hands, who is mechanically inclined, and can work with tools.

Not everyone has that. I don't think knowledge or intelligence is as much of a factor as just not having that base, somewhat innate, ability to work on stuff.