Jazz Metal

• Thread starter shuntz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
To be honest, once you take the improvisational element out of jazz, a piece of music can be kinda jazzy, or use jazzy chords, but it's never coming from the same place. And metal is one of the most heavily composed styles there is, not relying on experimentation much at all once the composition is written. The drum fills, solos etc are almost always written in a way where they're exactly the same every time they're performed, and you can't improvise a bass part and a guitar part together with so much distortion going on, no-one does it, and it would sound like mush. So metal is utterly the opposite of jazz in the way the music is approached.

Jazzy sounding stuff? I'm not sure, but the things people call jazz metal have a lot more in common with metal than jazz. I love Aghora's first album, but I hear very little that's jazzy in there.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AugmentedFourth

X:1 K:C [c^f]|
Reaction score
I hate when (like most in this thread) people think jazz is anything that is played by a metal band that is clean(er) on the guitars... I actually play/listen to jazz as my main genre and I have to say that the closest to jazz metal that exists is would be T.R.A.M. and Trioscapes, but even they lack the vast majority of jazz elements. Atheist and Cynic also have about 0% jazz in them. (Granted I love Cynic <3)

EDIT: Lye By Mistake is an amazing band and I would qualify them as "Jazz Metal" so to speak

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
mirthkon utilize jazz aesthetics pretty well.

this album has songs all over the place, some with great vocals as well!

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
Vuvr's a good one to check out if you like Atheist. They mix it up between metally tracks and just straight fusion stuff.

Reactions: fps

Evil Weasel

Reaction score
I should qualify all the music I post by saying I really have no idea of Jazz other than the fusion stuff my friend has given me!

Yakuza maybe? Probably just more avant garde than anything but they have a song at the end of their first album which may fit the bill. Ephel Duath would probably fit into the same cetegory.

How about the Jonas Hellborg album Art Metal? I am no expert but Hellborg is primarily a fusion player so I hope it can be considered Jazz.

Also a lot of mathcore bands have jazz style interludes. The number 12 looks like you, the first A Textbook Tragedy album, The Hysteria, Lye By Mistake etc.

Runner

Reaction score
Counter-World Experience have a few jazz influences, mixed with metal and fusion...

gulli05

Music/Guitar Addict
Reaction score
To-Mera is a good example of a metal band with a whole load of jazz ideas and influences texturing their music.

fps

Kit
Reaction score

hi guys, new here!

jazz metal hybrid that's awesome. if you haven't heard trioscapes, it's worth your time.

bass player from between the buried and me.

Real King Crimson vibe from this one

shuntz

Reaction score
Thanks OP. Definitely my new favorite thread :yesway:

My pleasure :D
Haunted Shores - Harrison Fjord - YouTube
Jesus, how do you embed videos?

I like the use of the jazz chords here however Huanted Shore's other stuff just isn't jazzy enough. Another good one by them is "Sentient Glow".

I was gone for a few days, now I'll listen to this plethora videos that were posted in my absence.

octatonic

I can count to 8.
Reaction score
Check out UK guitar virtuoso Shaun Baxter's album "Jazz Metal".
It is terrific.

"No means No" are Punk/Jazz with a side order of metal.