Karnivool Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter YYZ2112
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Koop

Reaction score
Oh dear. There are about 3 moments where "We Are" is about to burst into something meaningful, but it just.. doesn't. The song song is like a dog chasing it's own tail. Moving but not going anywhere. As a massive Vool fan, I'm starting to get worried about the upcoming record after Karnivool showcasing the awkwardly terrible The Refusal and this.

I have to agree. There's some parts where in my head where I kind of extended the melody of the song into what "should have been." :lol: Nonetheless, it's still a good song after a few more listens.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metalma5ness

doesn'towna7string
Reaction score
youtube has now decided that I cant watch the new video due to restrictions with me being in the UK - was watching it yesterday. dammit!

JakePeriphery

who callin my phone?
Reaction score
Oh dear. There are about 3 moments where "We Are" is about to burst into something meaningful, but it just.. doesn't. The song song is like a dog chasing it's own tail. Moving but not going anywhere. As a massive Vool fan, I'm starting to get worried about the upcoming record after Karnivool showcasing the awkwardly terrible The Refusal and this.

I have to agree. There's some parts where in my head where I kind of extended the melody of the song into what "should have been." :lol: Nonetheless, it's still a good song after a few more listens.

Upon finishing, I will say that it's a great song but like The Refusal I feel like it builds to nothing at certain points which is sort of frustrating. At a few parts I was like, oh shit, here it comes and then nothing happened. :/

Haha really?? At 2:00 and again at 3:20 are really epic choruses, but We Are sounds like quintessential Karnivool, completely capturing that vibe Sound Awake established and making something new and interesting. So stoked for this album, hope the rest of it is this good. I also loved The Refusal for being raw and heavy, a rare moment and something different for a band like Karnivool.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Haha really?? At 2:00 and again at 3:20 are really epic choruses, but We Are sounds like quintessential Karnivool, completely capturing that vibe Sound Awake established and making something new and interesting. So stoked for this album, hope the rest of it is this good. I also loved The Refusal for being raw and heavy, a rare moment and something different for a band like Karnivool.

It's funny because I was just talking to a friend about their production on the 2 new songs. We both agreed that they sound more organic and like a live band than ever before. The fact that they're not working with Forrester Savell has made a difference. Drew played all the instruments in Themata, then Sound Awake was a full band effort, and the progress between the two is like night and day. This time around they're a lot more comfortable as a band and it really shows and I'd be expecting them to take another new approach. :hbang:

Seeing them August 1 in Melbourne too. :woot:

ArrowHead

Reaction score
The fact that they're not working with Forrester Savell has made a difference.

Not sure if this is why, but these songs people are posting sound incredibly muddy to me. The low end seems a bit overpowering and undefined, and the low end is my favorite part of the other two releases.

It's hard to get excited when it hurts my ears.

bhakan

Reaction score
Some new stuff anyone? :metal:

Nachash

Eidolon

I think they played AM War on the radio show where these aired too, I'll try and find it.
Not sure if this is why, but these songs people are posting sound incredibly muddy to me. The low end seems a bit overpowering and undefined, and the low end is my favorite part of the other two releases.

It's hard to get excited when it hurts my ears.
At least the two posted above are ripped from the radio, so probably no the highest quality.

kastenfrog

Reaction score
not much to choose from. there are only 2 full length albums. friday it will be 3. both albums Themata and Sound Awake are pretty different. i recommend you take the time and go through everything, espacially Sound Awake in one listen. you won't deny it. Karnivool is one of these bands where almost everyone who got into them, loves them to death. it can take some time though. first song i heard was lifelike, i really liked it, then klicked on All I know and was like "is this the same band? this is kinda lame compared to the other one." but something made me listen to it over and over again and now i love very single of their songs and i never loved a band so much. Fanboy #1 :D at least in germany i think.

UncurableZero

Reaction score
Listening to the stream (Sky Machine playing at the moment) and I have to say this didn't click with me so far. I loved every Karnivool release from the first listen up until now, but this, i don't really know what to think... :squint:

Radau

Bongoloid
Reaction score
Maybe it's a grower but I wasn't exactly blown away like with Sound Awake, don't get me wrong though! There's some amazing songs!

Cnev

Reaction score
Well, so far I'm liking this one better than anything they've previously done with the exception of Deadman -> Change on Sound Awake. It's surprisingly noisy and airy, but I think the way the work the ambient guitars and subtle melodic sections into it all is pretty wonderful. My favorite artists seem to always be the ones that shatter my expectations and force me to really listen to and process what they've done so I naturally welcome change. I'm always either disappointed or incredibly bored when my expectations are met. True artists right here, I believe.

Also, once again Steve Judd proves to be one of the most underrated drummers on this planet. Such a clever and tasteful fella.

TasmanSam

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am a massive Karnivool fan.

After first listen through the album: AMAZING. SERIOUSLY SO ....ING GOOD.

Slows down towards the end but the pacing is just right, the songwriting is glorious. My album of the year so far hands down.

bhakan

Reaction score
To preface this, I have built this release up a lot in my head, and only listened to it one time through, but I love it so far. I feel it is on the same level as Sound Awake, but going for a different thing, which is good I think. Sound Awake is one of my favorite albums ever, and I think it does what it does perfectly, so trying to one up Sound Awake or make a Sound Awake 2 wouldn't work. This rawer and darker, and very different, but still feels like Karnivool