Kemper Profiling Amp Thread

ascl

Reaction score
RigManager v3.0.100 is out! I am not on the beta track so I guess this is the full release, although it doesn't appear on the website yet... maybe I jumped the gun in my eagerness to see the editor?

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
I am unfashionably late. Like wow this thing has been out for years and I am just now getting one. Should be shipping today hopefully so I am doing my research.

Any quick tips for a complete noob? I have a few profiles in mind that I will be checking out.

Dead-Pan

Reaction score
I am unfashionably late. Like wow this thing has been out for years and I am just now getting one. Should be shipping today hopefully so I am doing my research.

Any quick tips for a complete noob? I have a few profiles in mind that I will be checking out.

Especially if it's a used unit, do an initiate globals in the system menu.

Make sure Purecab is off in the output menu. Initiate globals will turn this back on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
How do you guys go about getting an accurate representation? From choosing a tone in your home to taking it to FOH.

Also to get the profiles on youtube to sound the same (or similar) after you download the profile for your own personal use.

Akhenat0n

Reaction score
How do you guys go about getting an accurate representation? From choosing a tone in your home to taking it to FOH.

Also to get the profiles on youtube to sound the same (or similar) after you download the profile for your own personal use.

Regarding the second question, I personally tend to tweak it just a little bit using the main four knobs (bass, mid, treble, pres). Every guitar sounds different and has its own character, that said I do not expect the same result, nor I have time nowadays to mess around that much.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
There is a huge difference in perception of sound from bedroom levels to gig levels. I don’t generally love my Kemper tone in headphones/IEM or at low volume, but damn is it massive at stage volume. The tone itself is arguably the same at any volume, but we perceive it differently.

I also generally love my profiles thru my 412 cab, and could tweak one to sound perfect through it; but it doesn’t translate to the Kemper’s Cab section going to FOH, so I generally try to tweak my profiles at gig levels through my PA system and accept the tone I get from my 412. Hopefully CK will answer my feature request and add a parametric EQ in the Cab section so we can tweak the IRs for phase correction and fizz when necessary. He could remove all the Low and High shift stuff and replace it with an EQ, and IMO it’d be a huge improvement for Cab swaps.

ascl

Reaction score
Kemper Kabinet has been released and is available for purchase from the kemper store! Very curious to try it out...

lewis

Reaction score
... seems I'm the only one excited about this? Anyway, mine should arrive mid next week!
Think the coronavirus has ruined not only gear purchases - but also peoples wallets to afford it even if they wanted to.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
Kemper Kabinet has been released and is available for purchase from the kemper store! Very curious to try it out...

Too bad my Kemper doesn't have a power amp :-(

I could buy an external solid state power amp ... but my goal is to simplify.

ascl

Reaction score
I picked up a camplifier from ritter amps. Slots in the back of the kemper toaster, and will, hopefully, be loud enough for home practice with the kabinet. I will find out later in the week.

Fair comment about the coronavirus, it has certainly put a dampener on many things.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
For those that like vintage/rock tones...

ToneJunkie is giving away two free profile packs - here is some info since they're not popular amps. The Tyler HM18 is killer especially with (real) OD pedals in front.

Resin Eclipse Stereo 6L6 (cranked small Fender style):

The Eclipse is revolutionizing the amp world with its true stereo design. This all original design packages 2 identical single-ended 6L6 amplifiers into 1 chassis. The Eclipse shines through it's 2 outputs with simple Volume and Tone knobs shaping each input channel. Custom Mercury Magnetics transformers combined with true point to point wiring create a full bodied sound with unmatched clarity and warmth.

jhizmsohiibexwkymnaa.jpg

Specifications:
  • Handmade in USA
  • Preamp Tubes: (2) 12ax7 (1 Per Channel)
  • Power tubes: (2) 6L6 – (1 Per Channel, Cathode Biased)
  • Rectifier: Solid State
  • Made with Mercury Magnetics
  • Head: 16.5″w x 9.5″h x 8.5″d (shell only)
  • Head 25lbs.
  • Output: 8W x 2

Tyler HM18:

Tyler’s latest creation is a compact powerhouse with a simple layout. At first glance, the HM-18 resembles a take on the classic 5E3 design, with two inputs and Master, Tone, and Volume knobs. But this is an EL84 output-tube design with a GZ34 rectifier. It’s best compared to the power section of a Vox or Matchless paired with the preamp from an 18-watt Marshall.

The HM-18 has an impressive feel. Its stain-lacquered tweed breathes timeless class and durability, and the cab is locally built of high-grade birch ply. Electronics are mounted in a thick steel chassis to eliminate vibration, and the transformers are built by Classic Tone in Chicago to Brinton’s specifications, with one of the power-transformer’s special features being an extra set of ground wires to make the amp virtually noise-free. It is also tapped for two 1/4″ speaker outputs, 4 and 8 ohms.

The HM-18 comes with a 150-watt Eminence speaker comparable to a Texas Heat but with slightly different specs. It translates all the nuances and intentions beautifully.

First impression when plugging in is balance – it feels like everything is represented fairly and the bottom is solid and doesn’t fall out when the amp is cranked to its limits. Input 1 lets you drive the preamp section a little harder, and it naturally has a bit more output than the cleaner Input 2. It also responds well to dynamics and cleans up nicely when the guitar volume is being rolled back.

The HM-18 handles pedals well, and playing with the balance between the Volume and Master knobs moves the breakup point to different levels.

Although inspired by classic circuits, the HM-18 does not have Fender chime or Vox compression, but it tastefully delivers both a clean and classy spectrum of driven settings. It’s a versatile-sounding amp that feels modern and delivers familiar sounds.

TYLER_01_HM-18_02_Control.jpg

ascl

Reaction score
@lewis comment has made me feel a little hesitant to post this... I am very thankful to be working in an industry where I can WFH, and haven't been greatly impacted by conora virus. And in a way the timing is good that this arrived, because I am home a lot more these days...

My Kemper Kabinet is here! It is a classy looking cabinet, and sounds fantastic. When in "FRFR" mode it sounds pretty similar to my studio monitors, and when it is in "kone" mode, it sounds very much like an "amp in the room" sound. This is the best of both worlds, with changing between them a push of a button away. The Rig Manager seems to be not updated for it yet, so controlling via the kemper itself, and I am hoping they release more speaker imprints, ie it feels a little like it is early days... but Kemper have been good at supporting their products, so I am sure things will evolve over time.

nightlight

Reaction score
The Kabinet seems like a really cool addition to the Kemper ecosystem. I have seen both good and bad reviews on the Kemper Forums. I do want to try one for myself to see what it's like though. Here's a couple of good videos imo

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
If anyone is looking for some KILLER profile packs on the cheap... check out Cililab:

https://cililabkpaprofiles.bigcartel.com/

So far I've bought:
Butterslax - 9/10
Plexi - 9.5/10
EVH 5153S - 9/10
Soldano Hot Rod 50 - 6/10
Herbert Mk1 - 7/10
VH4 - 8/10

Use their code 564SVR and they're like $3-5 per pack.

lewis

Reaction score
I feel Im probably so behind with Firmware updates. I cant remember the last time I updated my Kemper. Probably years ago haha

do any of the updates confess to improve how the unit sounds? or are they mostly bug fixes and feature adds?

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
I feel Im probably so behind with Firmware updates. I cant remember the last time I updated my Kemper. Probably years ago haha

do any of the updates confess to improve how the unit sounds? or are they mostly bug fixes and feature adds?

Kemper Rig Manager 3 alone is a huge step forward and worth it.