Kemper Profiling Amp Thread

Alexa run my life

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Question. Do profilers work for recording as well as they do for playing through a live cab? If a profile sounds great through your cab, is it going to sound as great when recording direct, or are there profiles specific for recording direct?

broangiel

Reaction score
Question. Do profilers work for recording as well as they do for playing through a live cab? If a profile sounds great through your cab, is it going to sound as great when recording direct, or are there profiles specific for recording direct?
You’d need a profile with an IR of a cab built into it (or load one in your DAW). The sound through the cab and direct sound will be fundamentally different because it’s an amp in the room vs an IR of a close-mic’d cab. Having said that, the tones can still be very good. You just need to find the right IR.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
It depends on the profile. I’ve made some profiles that sound so good through a real cab, but the cab sim ended up woofy and bloated. I’ve also had great results with profiles that work for recording/FOH but they don’t sound as good through a guitar cab. The more I profile the better I get at it. Finding the right amp/cab/mics/levels can be quite the chore. Once you find what works, then getting great results comes much easier.

There are Direct Profiles, Merged Profiles, and Studio Profiles. DP’s have no cab during profiling and are made for real cabs. MP’s are DP’s with a cab sim added afterwards, and SP’s are the standard process; capturing both amp and cab. I still find the SP process gives me the best results consistently. Even with the Studio Profiles: I do like save the cab capture so I can swap cabs around whenever I feel the need.

Alexa run my life

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You’d need a profile with an IR of a cab built into it (or load one in your DAW). The sound through the cab and direct sound will be fundamentally different because it’s an amp in the room vs an IR of a close-mic’d cab. Having said that, the tones can still be very good. You just need to find the right IR.

It depends on the profile. I’ve made some profiles that sound so good through a real cab, but the cab sim ended up woofy and bloated. I’ve also had great results with profiles that work for recording/FOH but they don’t sound as good through a guitar cab. The more I profile the better I get at it. Finding the right amp/cab/mics/levels can be quite the chore. Once you find what works, then getting great results comes much easier.

There are Direct Profiles, Merged Profiles, and Studio Profiles. DP’s have no cab during profiling and are made for real cabs. MP’s are DP’s with a cab sim added afterwards, and SP’s are the standard process; capturing both amp and cab. I still find the SP process gives me the best results consistently. Even with the Studio Profiles: I do like save the cab capture so I can swap cabs around whenever I feel the need.
Nice thanks!

AlvaroHetf

Reaction score
Well, as our mate said, It depends on the profile. There are lots of profiles that sounds great throughout a cab but if you put an IRS in the cabinet section, they are horrible. You need to try and try profiles and choose what for you sound best. Follow your feelings!

Alexa run my life

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can you delete any stock profiles? Like if you just wanted a total of 10 downloaded profiles on the Kemper can that be done?

ascl

Reaction score
Reducing the number of profiles cuts down on the startup time quite a bit. I haven't quite managed 10, but got down to < 200. I really should cull more, especially with how easy it is to preview and copy them via the rig manager, no need to have so many profiles.

lewis

Reaction score
Reducing the number of profiles cuts down on the startup time quite a bit. I haven't quite managed 10, but got down to < 200. I really should cull more, especially with how easy it is to preview and copy them via the rig manager, no need to have so many profiles.

I did this once. Accidentally deleted everything off the Kemper (all stock profiles gone) and only had some on the USB that was plugged in.
Startup was so quick.

I never did find out how to get all the stock profiles back haha

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I did this once. Accidentally deleted everything off the Kemper (all stock profiles gone) and only had some on the USB that was plugged in.
Startup was so quick.

I never did find out how to get all the stock profiles back haha

There is a file on the Kemper download page that contains all the factory content. You can load it into the share file on your USB stick and put them all back on if you wanted to.

Running with >50 profiles is much nicer to me though. Not only does the unit startup more quickly; but you don’t have to suffer from such option paralysis. I usually make my own profiles, but occasionally buy a pack, and pick my favorite 2-5 profiles for further adjustments. I’ll favorite my top 2 from that particular amp, and maybe keep up to 3 alts stored as non-favorites.

lewis

Reaction score
There is a file on the Kemper download page that contains all the factory content. You can load it into the share file on your USB stick and put them all back on if you wanted to.

Running with >50 profiles is much nicer to me though. Not only does the unit startup more quickly; but you don’t have to suffer from such option paralysis. I usually make my own profiles, but occasionally buy a pack, and pick my favorite 2-5 profiles for further adjustments. I’ll favorite my top 2 from that particular amp, and maybe keep up to 3 alts stored as non-favorites.
ah nice one thanks for the heads up.

Think Im going to follow mostly your advice too. My Kemper atm is near max capacity. Startup takes ages.

Need to neaten and order profiles better.

Alexa run my life

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How are the stock metal profiles, anyone regularly use them as their mains? Anyone record with them?

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I've spent a long time narrowing down to a few amps and cabs that work for me, I don't keep anything else on there. Occasionally I'll add something specific I might be looking for, but I always make an effort to keep the number of profiles right down to a minimum.

vibrantgermancities

Reaction score
What FRFR options are people preferring these days? It’s been along time since I’ve looked at anything but I’ve finally got a toaster on the way and I’m curious to know what’s recommended in 2020.

Appreciate it’s largely a personal thing as you can’t find a review of anything these days without someone else saying it’s trash (for example, according to the Kemper forums the various QSC options are either the best thing you could possibly buy, or utter garbage with no middle ground) but any suggestions that I might want to check out if and when it’s safe to do so would be appreciated! Largely home playing, but I’m open to things that would be capable of jamming with others.

Also, I’m not interested in a power amp plus a real cab. I get that it works really well, it’s just not how I’m planning on using it. Active FRFR* options only. Fight me.

*and to pre-empt the inevitable, yes I understand that none of the options likely to be discussed are really FR or FR and definitely aren’t both. I don’t need an acoustics lesson.

lewis

Reaction score
What FRFR options are people preferring these days? It’s been along time since I’ve looked at anything but I’ve finally got a toaster on the way and I’m curious to know what’s recommended in 2020.

Appreciate it’s largely a personal thing as you can’t find a review of anything these days without someone else saying it’s trash (for example, according to the Kemper forums the various QSC options are either the best thing you could possibly buy, or utter garbage with no middle ground) but any suggestions that I might want to check out if and when it’s safe to do so would be appreciated! Largely home playing, but I’m open to things that would be capable of jamming with others.

Also, I’m not interested in a power amp plus a real cab. I get that it works really well, it’s just not how I’m planning on using it. Active FRFR* options only. Fight me.

*and to pre-empt the inevitable, yes I understand that none of the options likely to be discussed are really FR or FR and definitely aren’t both. I don’t need an acoustics lesson.

Head rush FRFR
I own 3.

Two 112s and one amazingly compact 108

Both sizes are 2000watts and sound virtually identical (112 has more low end)
Love them. 2 inputs each with independent volume controls and can be daisy chained.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
Kinda thinking about offloading my KPA for a Kemper Stage and I was wondering if anyone knew if you can load a KPA backup file onto the Kemper Stage variant without any issues?