Kemper Profiling Amp Thread

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
So, if you listen to the tones in Josh's video, and you buy the pack, and plug in your own guitar, how similar is the final sound you get?

That was my problem with the Kemper and all modellers really. Every SinMix pack I tried along with the Keith, Ola and most of the Lasse Lammert pack just didn't work my guitars or sound anything like their demos. If I was to get a Kemper again I'd get my own profiles made in a studio so they'd be tailored made to my guitars. That way you could get them EQ'd for regular playing and studio.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
That was my problem with the Kemper and all modellers really. Every SinMix pack I tried along with the Keith, Ola and most of the Lasse Lammert pack just didn't work my guitars or sound anything like their demos. If I was to get a Kemper again I'd get my own profiles made in a studio so they'd be tailored made to my guitars. That way you could get them EQ'd for regular playing and studio.

Seems crazy really because none of them are using unusual setups. For the raw tone demos, it's just a guitar into the Kemper. Ola with Duncan pickups, Lasse usually with an ESP with EMG 81... all very generic, easily replicable stuff. I don't really understand how there can be so much variance.

Maybe it really is the case that a lot of the tone is in the player...

This is the main thing holding me back from a Kemper. I've played with them before and always felt a bit "meh", and I wondered if commercial packs were any better. But I can see it being just another never ending journey of constantly trying/buying new profile packs and never finding "the one".

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I think doing your own profiles is the way to go. I think they do alter tone wise with different setups. For example: I was setting up my FCB1010 for one of my own Uberschall profiles, and decided to plug my actual Uber in to hear if there’s noticeable a difference. I had done the profiles with my 7 string with BKP Aftermath’s; but use the profile with my Padalka 6 with hybrid Duncan/Fokin pickups. To get the profile sounding like my Uber; I had to alter the Definition and Treble settings to get close. (To whoever got a few profiles from me to try: Uberschall 3 I reduced the Definition to 8.3 and treble back to <0.0> and it sounds better to me with my 6er) but if I plug my 7 used for profiling back in, then the initial settings are better.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
This is the main thing holding me back from a Kemper. I've played with them before and always felt a bit "meh", and I wondered if commercial packs were any better. But I can see it being just another never ending journey of constantly trying/buying new profile packs and never finding "the one".

If you've used one before and you're seriously 'meh' on it then skip it.....for me, I really like all the packs I've bought (3 lol), but I was looking for specific tones...I've also gotten some really good freebies from the RE and have a total of 42 rigs in my Kemper...out of room for 1000.

I went down the rabbit hole when I had the AxeII on tones and presets and IRs; the never ending journey you mentioned is over forever. I might buy 1-2 more profile packs in the whole time I own this thing, and that's only if they're done by people I already have packs from or trust for good tones.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score

Just buy the guitar and pickups they use :lol:

takotakumi

Reaction score
So yesterday I plugged my kemper into my PC to try some profiles and got a notification on the Rig Manager that
there was a new OS update, and to my surprise it proceeded to download it and install it via the computer :eek:
Is this something new or has it been there for a while? I remember all the OS updates telling you that USB was the only way :0

protest

Reaction score
So yesterday I plugged my kemper into my PC to try some profiles and got a notification on the Rig Manager that
there was a new OS update, and to my surprise it proceeded to download it and install it via the computer :eek:
Is this something new or has it been there for a while? I remember all the OS updates telling you that USB was the only way :0

That's interesting. When I plugged my Kemper in the other day I got an update notice too, but the install instructions said to use an empty USB drive to move the file from my comp to the KPA.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Looks like a new update has spring reverb finally. Based on a 1963 Fender tank, but looks like it’s very adjustable. Long overdue; but if it sounds great then well worth the wait.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
any good recommendations for IRs? I'm thinking about grabbing the ownhammer IRs and already have Sinmix's set (which have some great ones and some shit ones).

Dead-Pan

Reaction score
any good recommendations for IRs? I'm thinking about grabbing the ownhammer IRs and already have Sinmix's set (which have some great ones and some shit ones).
Be warned of irs and the kemper. Kemper uses Short irs and compensates with eq to make up. It doesn't exactly convert the irs well. I have a metal ir pack on the site where I add low cut to the irs. These and the balanced work much better in the kemper.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Be warned of irs and the kemper. Kemper uses Short irs and compensates with eq to make up. It doesn't exactly convert the irs well. I have a metal ir pack on the site where I add low cut to the irs. These and the balanced work much better in the kemper.

THAT'S why all of my IRs sound so different in the Kemper vs in the DAW or Axe-Fx. Dangit
That's so lame. REALLY REALLY lame. :(

lewis

Reaction score
THAT'S why all of my IRs sound so different in the Kemper vs in the DAW or Axe-Fx. Dangit
That's so lame. REALLY REALLY lame. :(
Kemper need an update on that IR issue as thats shit tbh.

I still maintain that kemper and an axe fx is the best of both worlds. Quick sick tones for tracking/recording on the kemper in a studio (could then be reamped using the axe later) and then axe live for perfect direct to P.A tones and flexibility and portability if you are using ax8.
Plus could then profile your axe fx tones anyhow haha.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Kemper need an update on that IR issue as thats shit tbh.

I still maintain that kemper and an axe fx is the best of both worlds. Quick sick tones for tracking/recording on the kemper in a studio (could then be reamped using the axe later) and then axe live for perfect direct to P.A tones and flexibility and portability if you are using ax8.
Plus could then profile your axe fx tones anyhow haha.

I've profiled my Axe-Fx stuff before and it's not anywhere near the same tbh. Maybe I did it wrong