Kiesel Plugin (Not Amps)

• Thread starter Zado
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score

80% of users use Facebook by mobile, yet only 1.5% only use a desktop.
On top of that, Facebook is the third most popular website in the world with 14.6billion visits.

If 80% of those visits are by mobile, then phones are being used MUCH more by people than computers.

QED

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I'm sitting over here wondering what part of modulation software amplifies anything.

I thought the video sounded fine. Not my cup of beer, but fine. The track was pretty annoying on its own merits if I have to pick anything remarkable to say about it at all. More research needed.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
The first link is only 18-29 year Olds, and is only 10,000 respondent's. That is a lack of data to prove anything. The second link goes back to 2008, which is pre-phone takeover.
10,000 is way more than enough to draw conclusions about a population. This is high school level statistics. Second link covers up through 2019 so shut the fuck up.

And a household having a computer doesn't prove people use them. I bet they would have 4 phones to every laptop in that situation.
True, but not what you said. If you had said people don't use their computers for basic tasks anymore and instead prefer using phones we wouldn't even be having this stupid discussion.

80% of users use Facebook by mobile, yet only 1.5% only use a desktop.
How does this prove people don't own laptops? I only use Instagram on my phone and yet here I am, typing on a computer right this second.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Y'all know they make amp software for phones and tablets too right?

Shask

Reaction score
10,000 is way more than enough to draw conclusions about a population. This is high school level statistics. Second link covers up through 2019 so shut the fuck up.

True, but not what you said. If you had said people don't use their computers for basic tasks anymore and instead prefer using phones we wouldn't even be having this stupid discussion.

How does this prove people don't own laptops? I only use Instagram on my phone and yet here I am, typing on a computer right this second.
Semantics. It don't matter if they have some old computer in the closet. We are talking being used daily. Being used enough to not turn it off. The point is more people use phones, and that is true.

You can choose to not believe me, but that is okay, because everyone is wrong sometimes.

Shask

Reaction score
I'm sitting over here wondering what part of modulation software amplifies anything.

I thought the video sounded fine. Not my cup of beer, but fine. The track was pretty annoying on its own merits if I have to pick anything remarkable to say about it at all. More research needed.
They are just calculating math equations that mimic the behavior of analog gear. We know the equations of how that stuff works. The trick is having enough processor to calculate it all in real time, and what parts have to be given up for compromise. There is also the actual analog circuitry in the interface.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Semantics. It don't matter if they have some old computer in the closet. We are talking being used daily. Being used enough to not turn it off. The point is more people use phones, and that is true.

You can choose to not believe me, but that is okay, because everyone is wrong sometimes.
exactly. you are wrong.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
They are just calculating math equations that mimic the behavior of analog gear.
Analog or digital it's just modulation that we care about if we're comparing apples. There is no amplification to equally compare because plugins do not do this. Thus, plugins are not amps. Amps are amps, some of them can be used with plugins. Not like how all phones are computers, but not all computers are phones. Or whatever you guys are on about for no reason (I skimmed). It's just a little joke, I don't mean anything by it and it doesn't matter.

Just to get back on topic: Something, something, Jeff is cringe and women do not return his affection amirite?

Shask

Reaction score
I think this forum skews younger, so people who live with parents, in dorms, or in smaller apartments are prevalent.

I started coming here as a teenager. I'm in my 30s now and still have two 4x12s setup in the basement with my gear, but I also have kids sleeping upstairs so I can't crank it too often.

Luckily my Crown poweramp sounds great at not disturb the family volumes, but I probably play through my monitors 60-70% of the time. I recommend the modeler into cab setup all the time though, very few compromises as you say.
The majority of the time I play tube amps or my rack ran through a reactive load, reamped through a solid state power amp into 212s or 412s. Big tones, low volume, like 73db or so. Don't need digital for low volumes. I do run my Fractals through that also. I switch around a lot.

laxu

Reaction score
Apparently everyone these days live in a closet and has no space for gear, and that closet is outside a daycare, because anything over whisper volume is too loud.

I would MUCH prefer playing a Fractal into a cab and poweramp than a plugin. Best collection of compromises.
It takes on average longer for a Fractal Audio device to boot than it takes for you to fire up a computer and start a DAW or VST host (since many plugins come with a standalone version).

While I also prefer hardware modelers, I can understand the appeal of plugins. The reality for a lot of people is that they live in apartments where they can't make loud noise either due to neighbors or other people living with them. I've been lucky to be able to play real rigs at home at moderate volumes, but know this is not the case for many. So it's no wonder people gravitate towards solutions that let them plug in headphones and play, without buying an expensive hardware unit or amp.

If there's a problem with plugins, it's that a lot of companies are doing the same thing. This Kiesel suite doesn't seem much different from an average NeuralDSP plugin. The market is already oversaturated so anything that does the same thing is not going to stand out, even if it sounds good and is practical.

Kiesel apparently thinks their brand name is more valued than it really is. I love my Carvin and Kiesel guitars, but have never thought "man, I wish I had a Kiesel amp to play through!"

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Anecdotally, every. single. musician. I know has at least one computer. So it doesn’t really matter if “everyone” doesn’t. Musicians do.

Shask

Reaction score
Anecdotally, every. single. musician. I know has at least one computer. So it doesn’t really matter if “everyone” doesn’t. Musicians do.
Apparently none of you guys know anyone in the huge segment of the population of older guys that just jam out on old blues riffs in their garage every week drinking beer with their buddies. I have known a TON of people like this, and they could give a rat's ass about using a computer.

I would bet there are more people in this population than others, because they have the disposable income, and a high percentage of younger people would rather make EDM music on their computers than play guitar.

Shask

Reaction score
It takes on average longer for a Fractal Audio device to boot than it takes for you to fire up a computer and start a DAW or VST host (since many plugins come with a standalone version).

While I also prefer hardware modelers, I can understand the appeal of plugins. The reality for a lot of people is that they live in apartments where they can't make loud noise either due to neighbors or other people living with them. I've been lucky to be able to play real rigs at home at moderate volumes, but know this is not the case for many. So it's no wonder people gravitate towards solutions that let them plug in headphones and play, without buying an expensive hardware unit or amp.

If there's a problem with plugins, it's that a lot of companies are doing the same thing. This Kiesel suite doesn't seem much different from an average NeuralDSP plugin. The market is already oversaturated so anything that does the same thing is not going to stand out, even if it sounds good and is practical.

Kiesel apparently thinks their brand name is more valued than it really is. I love my Carvin and Kiesel guitars, but have never thought "man, I wish I had a Kiesel amp to play through!"
I have mentioned this in other threads, I used 100w tube amps when I lived in an apartment. It is not hard to do. I would say it is even easier these days because of the advances in technology of using reactive load boxes.

My FM3 boots up much faster than my music computer, lol. It is ready to go before I even chose a guitar and get it all plugged in.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In my view (not worth much), the real advantage of plugins is that "reamping" is easier. I usually record with a Fractal and just commit to those tones. Occasionally I wish I could make some small tweaks after recording. (Yes, I should record the DI but I'm such a badass maniac I say eff that.)

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I think probably what happened is that McRocklin, with his polychrome company and Kiesel endorsement, got to talking with Kiesel, and figured it could be a cool way to get his stuff to a larger audience. It’s a few bucks Kiesel can make on the side, as well. I doubt this was on the roadmap years ago. I’d do it if I were in either of their shoes, as it’s a pretty easy thing to fire up and sell, given what both companies already do. It would be foolish NOT to, because there’s not much cost or effort that needs to be done for this.

Latest posts