Kiesel quality control

• Thread starter Sam I am
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam I am

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's an international shipment. Here's my hypothesis, which is going to sound really weird, but I can't think of any other explanation:

1. Kiesel finished the guitar. They put it in the case. They slapped a shipping label on it, and had some broseph dude fill out the customs forms.
2. Whichever carrier picked it up, treated it no worse than usual, and took it to the border of whatever country in which OP resides.
3. Customs agents there saw a guitar with a brand name they had never heard of, and probably some questionable customs documents. Suspicious, they opened the box, saw an actual guitar. Maybe it smelled like drugs or someone was bored on that particular day, so they ended up discovering the trem cavity, and, not knowing WTF a trem cavity is, guessed it was a secret compartment for smuggling certain substances. So, they popped the cavity open, saw springs in it, and, again, having no idea what a trem cavity is, decided that the best way to search for contents inside of the springs was to pop them out of the guitar (as far as they knew, why would there be springs in a guitar?) - probably breaking the string in the process. Then they couldn't figure out how to get them back on, said "fuck it," and just haphazardly threw everything back into the case and sealed it back up, rubber stamped it, and forgot it ever happened.
4. OP gets the guitar, is immediately like "WTF?!", contacts Kiesel, who, being Kiesel, sends OP instructions on how to fix it, and pretends like none of this ever happened.

Here in the US, our customs agents are usually pretty careful and at least somewhat savvy. I know that's not universally the case in other countries. I don't recall if OP ever said what country this is, but maybe it's one with >0 ignorant customs agents checking packages. I know it sounds far fetched, but I challenge you to figure out a more plausible scenario.:lol:
The guitar travels 2000+ miles with 5 changes it appears of facility, no damage to box or guitar , 1 string broke , 3 springs in case,,,,I had all of the issues corrected yesterday by a Luthier and now I'm playing

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I know it sounds far fetched, but I challenge you to figure out a more plausible scenario.:lol:
Kiesel don't give two fucks.

Certainly could be as you suggested. I just think it's more plausible since it's Kiesel, that the guitar went out without a final check and some undisclosed damaged strings. Wouldn't be the first time that Kiesel sent out a guitar with that "Fuck it... close enough and we already got paid" attitude.

Sam I am

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Certainly could be as you suggested. I just think it's more plausible since it's Kiesel, that the guitar went out without a final check and some undisclosed damaged strings. Wouldn't be the first time that Kiesel sent out a guitar with that "Fuck it... close enough and we already got paid" attitude.
I personally think after multiple phone / email back and forth that they have a great manufacturer setup and zero post checklist where a tech checks off each item and signs like all their competitors

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had a few verryyyy minor scratches and a small dimple on the fretboard of my bass and the company offered 15% off ( B stock ) or wait and get a brand new one , like 5 days after I mentioned it to the shop I went to . ie ; good customer service isn't hard .

It's odd to think springs literally fell out of guitar , but stuff does happen . It should be on them to fix it , but I would try fixing it myself first and then ship it back if I can't . Weird situation overall . I feel like the burden goes to Kiesel here in that aspect , but it could have happened in transit , etc etc . It's up to OP to rectify how he wants to go about it but if I was selling someone a guitar / representing a brand , I'd try and talk them through it over the phone or email pictures detailing the steps required and then send them some strings and a t-shirt or something to say hey thanks for making this easy '

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score

Oh, I agree. It's just that it would take more effort to string it up without the springs attached or string it up and then detach the strings, and I don't think Kiesel would put in that sort of effort. If there was some sort of reason to take the springs off, then maybe. Trying to think of the reason why they would do that, though, and they all require someone to actually give a fuck about something and then stop giving a fuck mid-repair.

Like, "Oh no, there's a flaw in the finish inside of the trem cavity, we'll have to remove the trem springs and touch it up," or "This trem claw is damaged, we should replace it." Every one of those thoughts would instead be "Meh, no one will notice until the refund window is closed, so fuck it."

I suppose another option is that someone was being stupid and fucking with the guitar and somehow accidentally popped all of the springs out. Like "Heh heh, hey Jeff, check this out - BOIOIOIOING! Heh heh, cool!" And then Beavis pulls up on the bar so hard that the springs drop out of the guitar. As Beavis tries to put the springs back in, Jeff says "Huh huh, huh huh. Dumbass, this guitar is, like, already done. Just put it back in the case."

Sam I am

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had a few verryyyy minor scratches and a small dimple on the fretboard of my bass and the company offered 15% off ( B stock ) or wait and get a brand new one , like 5 days after I mentioned it to the shop I went to . ie ; good customer service isn't hard .

It's odd to think springs literally fell out of guitar , but stuff does happen . It should be on them to fix it , but I would try fixing it myself first and then ship it back if I can't . Weird situation overall . I feel like the burden goes to Kiesel here in that aspect , but it could have happened in transit , etc etc . It's up to OP to rectify how he wants to go about it but if I was selling someone a guitar / representing a brand , I'd try and talk them through it over the phone or email pictures detailing the steps required and then send them some strings and a t-shirt or something to say hey thanks for making this easy '
The weird thing is the 2 wood screws that held the
Oh, I agree. It's just that it would take more effort to string it up without the springs attached or string it up and then detach the strings, and I don't think Kiesel would put in that sort of effort. If there was some sort of reason to take the springs off, then maybe. Trying to think of the reason why they would do that, though, and they all require someone to actually give a fuck about something and then stop giving a fuck mid-repair.

Like, "Oh no, there's a flaw in the finish inside of the trem cavity, we'll have to remove the trem springs and touch it up," or "This trem claw is damaged, we should replace it." Every one of those thoughts would instead be "Meh, no one will notice until the refund window is closed, so fuck it."

I suppose another option is that someone was being stupid and fucking with the guitar and somehow accidentally popped all of the springs out. Like "Heh heh, hey Jeff, check this out - BOIOIOIOING! Heh heh, cool!" And then Beavis pulls up on the bar so hard that the springs drop out of the guitar. As Beavis tries to put the springs back in, Jeff says "Huh huh, huh huh. Dumbass, this guitar is, like, already done. Just put it back in the case."
It plays great now ! Lol

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
So we are complaining that strings are broken after traveling internationally. That's a new one

spudmunkey

Reaction score
So we are complaining that strings are broken after traveling internationally. That's a new one
Looking at the photo, even the trem itself wasn't seated on both posts. There's effectively zero chance someone strung up the guitar without even seating the trem on both posts, without springs, and then just tossed the springs in the case. Like...that's not lazy, you'd have to go out of your way and put in extra work to purposefully do this.

1651773056727.png

Sam I am

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I started this thread and that did not come from me,,, the guitar and recipient are of same nation ,,,
Pretty likely customs took it apart when inspecting the package. Can't see how it would be anything else at this point.
This all was state side u.s no customs

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
But without tension on the low side due to the busted strings combined with no tension from the springs not being attached, couldn't everything have looked okay but then upon getting bumped around in transit, the trem worked itself out from the post?

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Looking at the photo, even the trem itself wasn't seated on both posts. There's effectively zero chance someone strung up the guitar without even seating the trem on both posts, without springs, and then just tossed the springs in the case. Like...that's not lazy, you'd have to go out of your way and put in extra work to purposefully do this.

View attachment 107273
IMO, for what it's worth - that's probably not Kiesel's doing. I didn't read the whole thing but this looks tampered with

Sam I am

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
IMO, for what it's worth - that's probably not Kiesel's doing. I didn't read the whole thing but this looks tampered with
I got it to a skilled Luthier who mainly is a PRS tech and he got it to spec now I can play it and I'm thankful ,,, I learned a great lesson not buying from a local facility

estin

Reaction score
I started this thread and that did not come from me,,, the guitar and recipient are of same nation ,,,

This all was state side u.s no customs
ahh thanks, sorry for my false assumption.

Viginez

Reaction score
i know when shipped long distance many detune/loosen the strings to relief tension from the neck, so maybe they just didnt tune it for that reason and just put your springs in the case....

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Okay I gotta ask, whats up with the commas my man?
Waaaaaaaaait a minute. Why does the comma thing ring a bell? I could have sworn I've seen another user post like that before.

Has anyone asked the obvious question? The "why are you buying custom or semi customs when you admit you're still at the learner stage" question?

Status
Not open for further replies.