Kind of interesting, most used overdrive pedals

bandana

Reaction score
I'm in the market for an OD pedal and came across this: most used overdrive pedals

Just goes to show, for most of these guys and gals money's no object and still the most used pedals are pretty mainstream and attainable, $130 or under.

I actually find the boutique ones more interesting. I just got on the waiting list for a King of Tone hah! I'd like to see a list like this for all types of pedals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Most normie musicians don’t know nor care about boutique pedals. To many, when it comes to overdrives there’s just tubescreamers and SD1’s (which isn’t entirely wrong).

Spinedriver

Reaction score
In that article, the players they mention are using it solely as an od pedal. If all a person is using it for is to tighten up a high gain amp, a King of Tone or equally expensive pedal is pretty much a waste of money because a cheaper, sub $200 od pedal will get pretty much the same results.

When going into a clean channel, it's a whole different story.

wakjob

Reaction score
In that article, the players they mention are using it solely as an od pedal. If all a person is using it for is to tighten up a high gain amp, a King of Tone or equally expensive pedal is pretty much a waste of money because a cheaper, sub $200 od pedal will get pretty much the same results.

When going into a clean channel, it's a whole different story.

This x1,000,000.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
If you look at some of their other lists, they have the EH Soul Food and Joyo Ultimate Overdrive (an OCD clone) on the list of "Top 5 Distortion pedals" and the #1 pick was a Pro Co Rat. :facepalm:

Spinedriver

Reaction score
rat is a great pedal, but it's pretty weak in terms of distortion lol

It was pretty heavy back in the day before the Metal Zone had come out. In the past few years though, with Amptweaker, Friedman, Bogner, etc... all making high quality high gain pedals, perhaps their "distortion" list was only for pedals that were under $100 (coincidentally, I'm pretty sure they actually all were) ?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I don't believe their Timmy stat. Frikkin' everyone uses a Timmy.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Someone give me the low down on the Timmy. Never heard of it til like 2 weeks ago. What’s it know for? Why is it special? Etc...

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Someone give me the low down on the Timmy. Never heard of it til like 2 weeks ago. What’s it know for? Why is it special? Etc...

Transparent overdrive with bass cut pre gain, treble cut post gain and a switch between 2 kinds of symmetrical and 1 asymmetrical clipping. Not like a TS or Boss OD but more of a 'boost more' of what you already have without colouring your tone all too much. I like it with leads and single coils/P90s.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Transparent overdrive with bass cut pre gain, treble cut post gain and a switch between 2 kinds of symmetrical and 1 asymmetrical clipping. Not like a TS or Boss OD but more of a 'boost more' of what you already have without colouring your tone all too much. I like it with leads and single coils/P90s.

^ exactly this. Ubiquitous always on pedal for a lot of people. Especially great for the cranked Tweed Deluxe lead tone at lesser volumes.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
Well that's the thing with a Tube Screamer isn't it, you can find one almost anywhere and you know exactly what it's going to do to your tone.

Also, +1 for Tom Warrior using a TS since the early 80s.

bandana

Reaction score

Great description. Also I can't not think of the Timmy character from South Park every time I see this pedal :)

If anyone's interested they did the same thing with the most used delay pedals. Can't say I'm surprised. Although for the boutique ones,
1) I've never heard of the Maestro Echoplex and
2) now I'm watching videos of the Red Panda Labs Particle - a little untraditional, but *drool* just the same

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I'm like kinda shocked that OD-1 isn't on the list but BD-2 is...

Shask

Reaction score
I'm like kinda shocked that OD-1 isn't on the list but BD-2 is...
The OD-1 hasn't been made in years. It is rarer, and collectors prices now.

The BD-2 is cheap and everywhere.