Liam Neeson wants to kill a black man

• Thread starter Yul Brynner
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
Anybody else following the story? Apparently a woman Liam Neeson is close to was raped by a black man so he went to where the most black men were hoping to kill any random black guy.

On the other hand, "a rich white guy is racist" isn't exactly news...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
So you guys are trying to tell me that you didn't just read the part where he said he wanted to kill any random black guy and completely ignore the rest of the story in order to shout from the rooftops how much of a racist bastard Liam Neeson admitted he is??

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
I am not pushing any side. I wanted to see what the general idea is here versus the rest of the web.

I personally think it was a sincere idea he had but I would have changed it to Asian, Indian, Latino, Arab, or Native American. For some reason when he used the word black, the rest of his story completely disappeared and it all centered around him being a racist now (not 40 years ago when the story takes place). The guy was trying to say he can relate to the character he plays. The character's son was murdered. Liam Neeson's friend was raped. He had a deep animal-like instinctive need for revenge. Didn't care how he got it he just needed it. He explains that after a few days of this he realized what he was doing and was horrified and ashamed. He was sharing this story to show it as a dark time of his life that he is ashamed of. He wanted to show that people can have dark moments and get through it and go on to do great things. People want to say he was racist then and label him a racist for life apparently. It seems like another witch has been found in a witch hunt. All of this yelling at Liam Neeson that he is racist seems more racist to me than Liam Neeson admitting he did something racist 40 years ago that he is ashamed of and deeply regrets.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
I get that but it's also weird and bad that it was ever a thought for an adult, especially when taken in the context of his ouvere. I mean honestly why would you ever ever admit this let alone think it

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
I get that but it's also weird and bad that it was ever a thought for an adult, especially when taken in the context of his ouvere. I mean honestly why would you ever ever admit this let alone think it
I wonder.

Maybe if you want racist people to stop being racist, you should show them that it is possible to stop being racist and move on with your life. You know, similar to how people go to rehab for addictions or therapy for mental problems?

The problem is exactly that people do not admit it. Everyone has had thoughts or actions at some point in their lives that were racist. Nobody is willing to admit it exactly because of this kind of reaction. Some governor just resigned over a picture of him in blackface when he was a kid 50 years ago. I have no idea how racist the guy is or isn't now but nobody seems to give a shit one way or the other. Society today seems like the Gestapo or KGB. They keep digging and digging into someone's past until they find that stupid thing they did when they were 22 back in the 60s and use it to destroy them now. Who the hell didn't do stupid shit when they were kids that they regret and aren't proud of? People only want second chances and the benefit of the doubt for themselves. Everyone else can be burned at the stake.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
Basically, my beef with the whole deal is people are saying he is racist when actually he was racist at a point in time many years ago.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
I think if you look into any person's past you'll find some kind of -ism which you can point to while you sit in your moral ivory tower and say aha this person is guilty of racism, sexism, nepotism, ageism, despotism, etc. While I agree that this is actually a healthy exercise as a start to being more of a reflective person, I just can't stand how it's handled in this tabloid approach that underlines the seemingly scandalous nature of everything and nothing else.

It completely dismisses any hope or chance that this person either doesn't think that way anymore or whether or not they stand against whichever ism they were guilty of. As if to say, how dare you not hold a perfect world view in your 20's, ffs who the hell does or has...? Especially in light of a traumatic event like that?

If someone raped a person I love then you can guarantee I'm gonna see red and nothing else and think irrationally as a gut reaction.

I say look for progress not perfection. If progress is there, we should celebrate it rather tear the person down for daring to be an imperfect human. It's not logical, sensible or hell even godly to say hey one strike and you're done for life.

There is a very distinct difference in someone being reflective about something they did vs. someone with no sense of remorse.

If Liam came out and said hey I had these racist thoughts and bollocks to you all if you disagree with my sentiment, then yes have at him.

But in this case Liam Neeson flat out said this is a problem and talking about it is necessary. That's progress, not perfection. That distinction is not being reflected in the media at all and since media molds people's opinions, Liam's put himself in the shit for awhile.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
This makes me think of a reaction I had to a video I saw yesterday - on GMM, they kept just saying "Hulk Hogan is a bad man" over and over without saying why. I tried to google it, and all I found was that he used the 'n' word once? And that makes him the definition of evil? Someone the other day explained to me the idea of "cancelling" someone and my eyes rolled back in my head so far I could see into other dimensions. We've turned every social issue and political stance into a witch hunt. If you have, or have ever had, "the wrong" idea, you are literally evil incarnate. And it's so exhausting.

I know I like to say that, in the short term, in the context of an argument, you usually aren't going to change someone's mind - and I stand by that - but people's worldviews DO change. I can think of topics on which I've dramatically changed my stance since my teens or early 20s. I can recall having some thoughts as a young kid that would, in todays world, be construed as super racist, but I honestly didn't know any better at the time. It wasn't malicious, I was working off of a very incomplete picture of the world - and arguably we all still are.

I think that's a huge part that gets thrown out the window: Intent. I would much rather judge a person on their intent than just the face value of their statements. Someone might say something racist/etc because they don't know the difference - and I'm not saying that's ok - but those worldviews can be changed or updated. It's a far cry from someone who knows better and whose -isms come from a malicious place.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
This makes me think of a reaction I had to a video I saw yesterday - on GMM, they kept just saying "Hulk Hogan is a bad man" over and over without saying why. I tried to google it, and all I found was that he used the 'n' word once? And that makes him the definition of evil? Someone the other day explained to me the idea of "cancelling" someone and my eyes rolled back in my head so far I could see into other dimensions. We've turned every social issue and political stance into a witch hunt. If you have, or have ever had, "the wrong" idea, you are literally evil incarnate. And it's so exhausting.

I know I like to say that, in the short term, in the context of an argument, you usually aren't going to change someone's mind - and I stand by that - but people's worldviews DO change. I can think of topics on which I've dramatically changed my stance since my teens or early 20s. I can recall having some thoughts as a young kid that would, in todays world, be construed as super racist, but I honestly didn't know any better at the time. It wasn't malicious, I was working off of a very incomplete picture of the world - and arguably we all still are.

I think that's a huge part that gets thrown out the window: Intent. I would much rather judge a person on their intent than just the face value of their statements. Someone might say something racist/etc because they don't know the difference - and I'm not saying that's ok - but those worldviews can be changed or updated. It's a far cry from someone who knows better and whose -isms come from a malicious place.
I think Hogan was also in trouble about some alleged sexual stuff with his daughter or something as well.

Exchanger

Reaction score
I think if you look into any person's past you'll find some kind of -ism which you can point to while you sit in your moral ivory tower and say aha this person is guilty of racism, sexism, nepotism, ageism, despotism, etc. While I agree that this is actually a healthy exercise as a start to being more of a reflective person, I just can't stand how it's handled in this tabloid approach that underlines the seemingly scandalous nature of everything and nothing else.

It completely dismisses any hope or chance that this person either doesn't think that way anymore or whether or not they stand against whichever ism they were guilty of. As if to say, how dare you not hold a perfect world view in your 20's, ffs who the hell does or has...? Especially in light of a traumatic event like that?

If someone raped a person I love then you can guarantee I'm gonna see red and nothing else and think irrationally as a gut reaction.

I say look for progress not perfection. If progress is there, we should celebrate it rather tear the person down for daring to be an imperfect human. It's not logical, sensible or hell even godly to say hey one strike and you're done for life.

There is a very distinct difference in someone being reflective about something they did vs. someone with no sense of remorse.

If Liam came out and said hey I had these racist thoughts and bollocks to you all if you disagree with my sentiment, then yes have at him.

But in this case Liam Neeson flat out said this is a problem and talking about it is necessary. That's progress, not perfection. That distinction is not being reflected in the media at all and since media molds people's opinions, Liam's put himself in the shit for awhile.

This 100x
And to stress it out : when you're blinded by rage, you don't think striaght, you think/do stupid shit. And in his situation I think most people would have gone nuts.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's Liam Neeson, so he obviously said it in a really charming way, which makes a difference.

Also, all he said was that he went walking around "carrying a baton" and he was looking to "beat that black bastard". For all we know, he just meant he was going to challenge him to a cheer off.

wankerness

Reaction score
It's Liam Neeson, so he obviously said it in a really charming way, which makes a difference.

Also, all he said was that he went walking around "carrying a baton" and he was looking to "beat that black bastard". For all we know, he just meant he was going to challenge him to a cheer off.

Wrong.

“I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I’d be approached by somebody. I’m ashamed to say that, and I did it for maybe a week, hoping some black bastard would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could kill him.”

Anyway, this whole thing is idiotic and the people who are screeching about it are those same puritans who think that if you've EVER done anything bad or EVER had a racist thought you are horrible forever and there is no chance of redemption. This isn't like most cases, where someone is caught and then has to address it and would have covered it up otherwise. This is someone illustrating how they've grown as a person by BRINGING UP something horrible that they did, flat out saying it was a horrible thing, and showing how it was a teaching moment for them.

I HATE the outrage-o-sphere so much.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
So that I could kill him.
I mean, I hate exaggerated outrage as much as the next guy, but that's clear intent to murder someone. I don't care how mad you are, intent to murder is still telling of a person's character on some level. Adding a racial edge to it really doesn't help.

It's one thing to say you're so mad you could kill, as a figure of speech - it's another to take actual steps towards that end.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
Idk I took a pistol with me to meet the guy that was fucking my ex-wife while I was deployed with every intention of killing him. The thing that stopped me was her coming out with that expression on her face of how much she was getting off on the drama so instead I shook his hand and gave him my blessing and left.