Line 6 announcement on January 23rd. New amp?

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I was really happy to see that they finally boosted the processor in the HD500 last year, but yeah… the cab impulses are definitely still a weak point from everything i've read. Line 6 has so much potential, yet they continually disappoint. I can't believe they would ship a new product with last-generation modelling software.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I get the feeling that all the talent at line 6 left some time after the podXT's last update, and they've been limping along with whatever is left ever since. Since then we had the X3 (which is basically the same thing as the podXT), and the podHD (which I'm told is good though, i haven't tried one), then a bunch of spider stuff and this.

Is there an amp list for this thing? Or is it just the models found in the HD Pro?

Models found in podXT

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
I was really happy to see that they finally boosted the processor in the HD500 last year, but yeah… the cab impulses are definitely still a weak point from everything i've read. Line 6 has so much potential, yet they continually disappoint. I can't believe they would ship a new product with last-generation modelling software.

The jokes on us for ever believing in them. :lol:

I never really will understand what goes through the minds of the people making the decisions at companies like this. It's kind of like Peavey deciding to make a mini version of their Vyper and not their 5150. I don't think these companies really care about people who are serious about playing guitar, because no product ever seems tailored to us.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
I was really happy to see that they finally boosted the processor in the HD500 last year

That wasn't even a Line 6 choice through. From what I gathered on other music forums, the provider of the specific chip they use discontinued it. The 500X is loaded with the next cheapest option their supplier provides.

Which to me shows that they didn't even make the product by listening to their customers, they did it out of force of hand from the suppliers.

Insinfier

Reaction score
I'd totally pay $1000 for a true HD Pro with more memory, an even faster processor, and custom IR loading. Its "Pro" name would be more appropriate with some more advanced features. Something to truly distance itself from the cheaper models, instead of some more I/O.

Not a fan of gimmicky smartphone integration... I don't play live and I haven't recorded an album. I'm just a bedroom player, but I still don't want toys. This is a very serious hobby for me. Line 6, step up your game. I really don't see why someone would be interested in this new product when you can already get an affordable PA speaker and an HD500/Desktop and be better off.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I guess I was wrong. It's WORSE than a new version of the Spider line. :noplease:

Oddly enough, I remember a few people saying that it might be something iOS related, possibly trying to one-up the Digitech iOS based floorboard.

What I'm wondering is how much Apple is making off all the companies making modeling software and/or devices that are exclusive to the iOS platform. :spock:

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
This isn't even new technology a database of tones linked to songs in iTunes. A Bluetooth interface and modelling technology from the last generation of pods. How can they claim to have reinvented anything? They recycled and repackaged the old stuff to seem new.

It's an amp designed by men in suits to pry money from the parents of young guitar players without the experience to know better.

What I love about the vetta is it was high end at the time but with no tubes to change. The dt stuff seems cool but it seems line 6 has given up trying to push the envelope and said "right they want tubes just give em a tube amp" I love a tube amp as much as the next guy but come on those things are 70 years old surely someone should be trying to provide an alternative???

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Fractal and Kemper took over the reins, and I guess line 6 thought it would be too hard to keep competing in that market segment.

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
This isn't even new technology a database of tones linked to songs in iTunes. A Bluetooth interface and modelling technology from the last generation of pods. How can they claim to have reinvented anything? They recycled and repackaged the old stuff to seem new.

It's an amp designed by men in suits to pry money from the parents of young guitar players without the experience to know better.

What I love about the vetta is it was high end at the time but with no tubes to change. The dt stuff seems cool but it seems line 6 has given up trying to push the envelope and said "right they want tubes just give em a tube amp" I love a tube amp as much as the next guy but come on those things are 70 years old surely someone should be trying to provide an alternative???

I agree! It seems there is an overall degradation in terms of quality on Line 6's end. I remember when I first got my Vetta II. I was soo impressed by the quality of everything. It's much better designed and built than my much new Spider Valve MkII.

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
Fractal and Kemper took over the reins, and I guess line 6 thought it would be too hard to keep competing in that market segment.

They could very easily compete with them. Just bump the price point up to more than $500 for an HD500. At $1,000 with their advantage of business size and production scale (at least I think they must be?) they shouldn't have any problem making a comparable product.

macgruber

cat enthusiast
Reaction score
line 6 took one step forward and three steps back.

7+ year old amp models on a brand new "game changing" product?

so disappointing.

if somebody continued from where the HD series left off and added IR loading and a few more amps there would be a lot of happy people.

Lach Rae Dawn

Reaction score
Well this was not what I was expecting, although I am not looking for an amp.

I think my old pod x3, and the spider II amp I have are the last Line 6 equipment I will get, unless they offer something really stellar in the future that is geared towards my needs.

I hardly play through an amp now anyway, I will be going modeller/interface to studio monitors, as I am more of a home studio recording, not travelling playing live kind of artist.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
They could very easily compete with them. Just bump the price point up to more than $500 for an HD500. At $1,000 with their advantage of business size and production scale (at least I think they must be?) they shouldn't have any problem making a comparable product.

Honestly, if they hired some of the guys who make these free amp sim VST's that blow line 6 out of the water and allowed impulses, they would already be 90% of the way there. So much wasted potential.

Yamaha sure picked the wrong company to buy out.

Heres hoping they fix them.

SandyRavage

Reaction score
Anyone else notice how elitist this forum has become....line up with your fixed gear bikes, ironic mustaches, and American apparel t shirts, and troll away....I feel like many on here have become the worse possible combination of hipster

This isn't my favorite product but at the price point this opens up an entire new generation of kids to accessible features, and from what it looks like and from what I've heard sounds like blows their other stuff out of the water. This may not appeal strictly to you but I'd put money on the fact that they are going to sell boatloads based on the features and value for the money.

I do agree with the limited interface but putting too many features competes with their other products so I see why they wouldn't include a USB port on these. What I can say is that most on here are judging completely on looks, and a predetermined elitist attitude that if its not an EnglFx5150 with the latest firmware it's gonna suck.

End rant....now I remember why I barely frequent this forum in the first place. Uneducated fools throwing wild assumptions about product they know nothing about.

Flame on.

Lain

Reaction score
Seriously? An amp that sounds good with backing tracks is what i wanted for ages. If there will be windows pc software for it at one point i'm going to buy it in an instant. Be it PODxt models or not, the price seems fine.

I don't think it's intended for the people that need an amp for gigs.

macgruber

cat enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else notice how elitist this forum has become....line up with your fixed gear bikes, ironic mustaches, and American apparel t shirts, and troll away....I feel like many on here have become the worse possible combination of hipster

This isn't my favorite product but at the price point this opens up an entire new generation of kids to accessible features, and from what it looks like and from what I've heard sounds like blows their other stuff out of the water. This may not appeal strictly to you but I'd put money on the fact that they are going to sell boatloads based on the features and value for the money.

I do agree with the limited interface but putting too many features competes with their other products so I see why they wouldn't include a USB port on these. What I can say is that most on here are judging completely on looks, and a predetermined elitist attitude that if its not an EnglFx5150 with the latest firmware it's gonna suck.

End rant....now I remember why I barely frequent this forum in the first place. Uneducated fools throwing wild assumptions about product they know nothing about.

Flame on.

i know that the pod HD series was absolutely amazing, so much so that i sold my main tube rig and ran an hd500 instead for ages. they came with an awesome product and let it become stale over the last 3 years with barely any updates or improvement to their flagship product while their competitors surpassed them with updates and improvements.

it seems that they have abandoned a large portion of their target market and just put out a tweaked version of a spider jam out to "reinvent the guitar amp".

im sure its not a bad product, but with all the potential line 6 has this seems disappointing to me. obviously i'm not the only one here who feels the same.

Chris O

Not The Dude...
Reaction score
The Gear Page 1.2a.

Pretty whiny, lame, assumptive commentary from a bunch of "people" that have never touched or even seen the product in the flesh.

"Potential of L6"? From all I've read here, it would seem everyone expects them to fail, thereby inferring they have NO potential.

Back to your cork-sniffery now.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Back to your cork-sniffery now.

:agreed: AS IT SHOULD BE!

I think what most people are disappointed with is Line6 seemingly abandoning the "Pro" end of the market they practically created.

Maybe their product focus from here on out will be entry-level, "consumer electronics" type devices that have shorter life cycles and higher profit margins. Who knows? But i think a lot of the complaints are from people who legitimately like the company and have used their products, yet see the company slipping further into irrelevance to the pro musician market.