ShadowAMD

Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread but I've come across something quite important (for me as a podhd500 user anyway).
Since I've had my POD HD500 I've always had trouble with noise and the noisegates not working properly with high gain patches.
For some reason either of the 2 noisegates didn't work well.
There was always a fade out of noise even if the release was set to zero.
I haven't found a solution for patches without the TS9 model.
But yesterday I was frustrated getting a good noiseless and properly gated sound and I tried the Tubescreamer model before the noisegate.
I usually put the noisegate first in the chain but now for the first time since I've owned the POD I got a properly gated sound.
So try it out!
Now my goal is to figure out a way to get a good sound without a TS model.
I don't know why this works so wel as opposed to without a tube screamer model.
I use the TS for tone and volume only so no gain applied.

My POD is not faulty, I've owned 2 and a friend of mine also owns one.
There were always noise issues even with input 2 set to variax albeit less noise.
The noise gate on podfarm seems to work really well and I thought they would use the same algorhythm but it sounds like crap.... (untill now with the TS thing)

Use a noise gate in your DAW.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread but I've come across something quite important (for me as a podhd500 user anyway).
Since I've had my POD HD500 I've always had trouble with noise and the noisegates not working properly with high gain patches.
For some reason either of the 2 noisegates didn't work well.
There was always a fade out of noise even if the release was set to zero.
I haven't found a solution for patches without the TS9 model.
But yesterday I was frustrated getting a good noiseless and properly gated sound and I tried the Tubescreamer model before the noisegate.
I usually put the noisegate first in the chain but now for the first time since I've owned the POD I got a properly gated sound.
So try it out!
Now my goal is to figure out a way to get a good sound without a TS model.
I don't know why this works so wel as opposed to without a tube screamer model.
I use the TS for tone and volume only so no gain applied.

My POD is not faulty, I've owned 2 and a friend of mine also owns one.
There were always noise issues even with input 2 set to variax albeit less noise.
The noise gate on podfarm seems to work really well and I thought they would use the same algorhythm but it sounds like crap.... (untill now with the TS thing)

The hard gate is an actual gate. When it's open, everything comes through, noise included. The noise gate is more of a noise surpressor. Try combining a hard gate and noise gate together.

The general rule with the hd series has been to always place the gate after whatever element is adding the noise. Obviously your guitar will add some with high output pickups. Try hard gate>screamer>noise gate. Or even hard gate>screamer>hard gate>noise gate.

You could have 5 hard gates all going at once and they won't kill your tone as long as they're all opening properly. The regular noise gate kills tone like a boss ns-2.

If your not using a screamer, toggle on and off everything that you have added to see what is giving you the noise.

I haven't tried it yet, but even try placing a gate between the amp and mixer.

wolfhalen

Reaction score
Thanks. When you connect the HD500 to a computer via USB can the two amps be sent separately to different channels in a DAW for mixing or are they summed?

Do you know of any examples of the dual amp function? There's an absolute dearth of videos on YouTube showing it.

You would pan each amp full left and full right. Then in the DAW set up a mono track for each with one left input only and one right input only. Basically it behaves like any 2 channel interface with a left and right mono or stereo pair.

If you panned them center on the Pod mixer then they will blend on the same track.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
The hard gate is an actual gate. When it's open, everything comes through, noise included. The noise gate is more of a noise surpressor. Try combining a hard gate and noise gate together.

The general rule with the hd series has been to always place the gate after whatever element is adding the noise. Obviously your guitar will add some with high output pickups. Try hard gate>screamer>noise gate. Or even hard gate>screamer>hard gate>noise gate.

You could have 5 hard gates all going at once and they won't kill your tone as long as they're all opening properly. The regular noise gate kills tone like a boss ns-2.

If your not using a screamer, toggle on and off everything that you have added to see what is giving you the noise.

I haven't tried it yet, but even try placing a gate between the amp and mixer.

Actually the noise gate is also just a gate, except with a softer slower response so you don't hear it open and close as obviously. it has a fade-out time, and it doesn't gate as intensely as the Hard Gate. It's basically a reverse compressor. The Hard Gate is an on/off switch with parameters that decide when it goes on or off.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
You would pan each amp full left and full right. Then in the DAW set up a mono track for each with one left input only and one right input only. Basically it behaves like any 2 channel interface with a left and right mono or stereo pair.

If you panned them center on the Pod mixer then they will blend on the same track.

Perfect. Thanks, man! :yesway:

Reaction score
Seriously considering selling my RP1000 for the HD500. I've been considering it for a year now and now that I've seen what the HD500 can do, I don't know why I'm still settling with the RP1000. I might go to a GC and try the HD500 out first... but the RP1000 sounds like crap over studio monitors (Which is the setup I am forced with as I live in a small 2 BR right now) and I've only ever used the effects for playing out of my amp.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
Seriously considering selling my RP1000 for the HD500. I've been considering it for a year now and now that I've seen what the HD500 can do, I don't know why I'm still settling with the RP1000. I might go to a GC and try the HD500 out first... but the RP1000 sounds like crap over studio monitors (Which is the setup I am forced with as I live in a small 2 BR right now) and I've only ever used the effects for playing out of my amp.

Do it. One of my friends and I went to GC just yesterday and they set us up with the HD500 in the monitor room and we demo'd it in there for a bit. It's a great system.

ShadowAMD

Reaction score

SDSM

Reaction score
Yeah, don't use presets lol

Thanks, I will do some looking around for a nice bass patch. Another thing, when it come to parametric eqing, which frequency range would you normally find the punch for the guitar?

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
Sounds great man! What are you using for your tone patch? Wouldn't mind to play with that a little.

Cali 4X12 preset mixed with Engl..

Only got it last friday, so not really sure what I'm doing with it yet :)

Zei

Reaction score
What do you guys think of my new sound?

Breakdown Mix Test

First time mixing and I used the same tone I posted last time. Turns out mixing can do a lot :lol: Kick is too forward in the mix, though.