MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Hello whats the best SS power amp for the pod hd minus the matrix

I'd say any SS power amp will do the trick, since the idea is to just get the sound from Pod to cab uncoloured. I think you can let yourself go for bang-for-buck options with that, rather than looking for the most "guitarist oriented" stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitarfreak1387

squirrel chaser
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planing on getting either an alto ts112 or 115 and can't decide which to go with. Iv seen people use both with the pod hd and both sounded great.

What would be the pros and cons with each model?

Nemonic

Reaction score
Can you share dat patch?
Has anypne of you got another great Epic presets?
Is the Epic based on a real amp?

The Epic model is my new favorite. I made a new tone that I'm in love with! I've only tried it with my d-activator 8's, but I'm quite sure it will sound great with my crunch labs as well.

And since no one has posted any samples of the Epic, here you go!! A riff I just came up with for a song I'm working on. Southern Comfort Breakdown by RickyCigs on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
So I got a new Nylon string guitar today and decided to give it a test record with the POD HD500 :) Etude In E Minor (Francisco Tarrega) by GrimShark on SoundCloud - Hear the world

I haven't played classical in ages and I completely butchered this piece, but that wasn't the point :) I quite like this tone, the only thing that irks me is the slight chorus effect that seems to be on there, there is no chorus on the patch so I'm assuming it's just because this guitar is a cheapy and doesn't have the best preamp.

I'll do a proper post on the nylon string and an NGD in future after I'm done modifying it, but a little back story as to why I even bothered - I got it for R500 (+/- $50) from a return to our dispatch claiming that the unit was defective, which it wasn't but in the interests of keeping the client happy we replaced it with a new one only to find out somebody had done a really horrible fret job on it, a refret wouldn't have been cost effective so they were essentially going to strip it for spares when I offered to pay cost price :) Why buy a nylon string with a screwed fret job you may ask? Well because in future I will be defretting it :D

facepalm66

The Master of Joints
Reaction score
Would anyone answer me the question: Pod HD 500 / 300 or the VETTA II head?
Everyone have plenty of complaints on both units, but the vetta II head sounds SO UBER in many bands I like, that they have used it. Please, help me out.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
Everyone have plenty of complaints on both units, but the vetta II head sounds SO UBER in many bands I like, that they have used it. Please, help me out.

From the looks of this post (and your sig), you're pretty sold on the Vetta...so go with what you want. :)

Nemonic

Reaction score
If you search within legacy products section within the Line 6 website, you can see that Vetta is basically POD X3 with 150/150 poweramp. I am not totally sure about this, but I do not think that Line 6 engineers would change all those models.
If I am right, you can do the same with X3/any solid solid state power amp, or even better with HD 500/Pro/Bean and the same power amp. It might be even cheaper.

facepalm66

The Master of Joints
Reaction score
Yes, I really wanted it, but also found the hd 500 a great deal, and in a comfortable place, so I'm asking a smart advice, rather than being driven by GAS.
I found some splendid sounds I liked with both units, and I can get both for around 500$, which is great.
Tweaking and stuff - at least will spend more time towards learning how to do stuff rather than playing DOTA2..
So still looking for a smart advice. Thanks :)

Paolosev91

Reaction score
Does anyone own BOTH a pod hd 500 and a DT25/50 at home?
I would like compare the dynamics and sound you get with the guitar plugged in the DT25 (without the pod) and with the guitar plugged into the Guitar In of the pod connected before the DT25 (with the same amp model and settings obviously!)

just to know which input impedance selection, input setting and signal routing (in pod settings menu) gives the same result of the standalone DT25! (I recently discovered that even in a amp-only patch, Auto and 1Mohm impedance give slightly different sound and dynamics!) On 1M I get slightly less attack and bass! Which is not always a bad thing... and we also have the signal routing and input (1,2, guitar, same, aux etc. problem to solve)

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Does anyone own BOTH a pod hd 500 and a DT25/50 at home?
I would like compare the dynamics and sound you get with the guitar plugged in the DT25 (without the pod) and with the guitar plugged into the Guitar In of the pod connected before the DT25 (with the same amp model and settings obviously!)

just to know which input impedance selection, input setting and signal routing (in pod settings menu) gives the same result of the standalone DT25! (I recently discovered that even in a amp-only patch, Auto and 1Mohm impedance give slightly different sound and dynamics!) On 1M I get slightly less attack and bass! Which is not always a bad thing... and we also have the signal routing and input (1,2, guitar, same, aux etc. problem to solve)

I can give this a shot at some point tomorrow where I can turn up my DT25 to levels where I can really notice the dynamic difference. If I had to guess off-hand, I'd say either the 220 or 1M options will match the DT25's native input. Personally, I use different impedence selections on a patch by patch basis and always run through the POD via the L6 link.

Chuck

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planing on getting either an alto ts112 or 115 and can't decide which to go with. Iv seen people use both with the pod hd and both sounded great.

What would be the pros and cons with each model?

I would get the 12, it costs less money, is lighter/smaller, will be plenty loud enough, and will have enough low end for sure.

wespaul

Octaves of Manhattan
Reaction score
I have a couple extremely noobish questions:

I'm looking into getting a POD HD Pro. That much is for certain. I'm also looking for a power amp, and am thinking of something along the lines of a Mesa Boogie 2:90. The problem is, I've never messed around with a rack setup. I was thinking that's all I would need to have a "head" of sorts, that I could run into a cabinet, as well as plug into my computer via USB to do direct recording.

But then I read that some people have power conditioners. Would I need to invest in something like that? I'm not even sure what one does, or why I would need it (I'm very green when it comes to electronics). I'd like to get the HD Pro, 2:90, and put it in a gator rack case and be done with it. Is it as simple as that?

Also, does anybody have any experience with the 2:90?

(Sorry for all the green questions, and thanks for any answer or guidance)

Paolosev91

Reaction score
I have also recently found a nice workaround for people who isn't satisfied with both preamp only models and full amp models. (especially the hi-gain models)
Selecting master around 10% decreases volume a lot but you can dial it back with the volume amp knob, mixer, and eq boosts.
I find that I have to work less to find a good sound with models like treadplate and the uber! The treadplate attack and treble are less pronounced, playing is smoother and the uber has become usable without playing with sag, bias etc...
I can also play more with the amp knobs and different cabs and mics react better (so you have more choice)
It's so stupid that line6 defaults master poweramp at 50% (even at 100%!)
I know that the rectifier is usually used in the 20 range of master volume and I set it at that value for months... maybe they didn't make it linear, or maybe they doubled the effect of the master on the pod (10 means 20, 50 means 100, 100 means... 200?)
just my thoughts! try and experiment :)

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I have also recently found a nice workaround for people who isn't satisfied with both preamp only models and full amp models. (especially the hi-gain models)
Selecting master around 10% decreases volume a lot but you can dial it back with the volume amp knob, mixer, and eq boosts.
I find that I have to work less to find a good sound with models like treadplate and the uber! The treadplate attack and treble are less pronounced, playing is smoother and the uber has become usable without playing with sag, bias etc...
I can also play more with the amp knobs and different cabs and mics react better (so you have more choice)
It's so stupid that line6 defaults master poweramp at 50% (even at 100%!)
I know that the rectifier is usually used in the 20 range of master volume and I set it at that value for months... maybe they didn't make it linear, or maybe they doubled the effect of the master on the pod (10 means 20, 50 means 100, 100 means... 200?)
just my thoughts! try and experiment :)

It's all a matter if taste. With the epic model, you NEED to have the power amp turned up high. I use it with preamp drive at 10% and master at 90%

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I have a couple extremely noobish questions:

I'm looking into getting a POD HD Pro. That much is for certain. I'm also looking for a power amp, and am thinking of something along the lines of a Mesa Boogie 2:90. The problem is, I've never messed around with a rack setup. I was thinking that's all I would need to have a "head" of sorts, that I could run into a cabinet, as well as plug into my computer via USB to do direct recording.

But then I read that some people have power conditioners. Would I need to invest in something like that? I'm not even sure what one does, or why I would need it (I'm very green when it comes to electronics). I'd like to get the HD Pro, 2:90, and put it in a gator rack case and be done with it. Is it as simple as that?

Also, does anybody have any experience with the 2:90?

(Sorry for all the green questions, and thanks for any answer or guidance)

A power conditioner is just a power bar in a rack unit. It makes it easier to set up on stage with only one cord and everything else plugged in inside the rack case.

Oxygen42

Bedroom Shredder
Reaction score
All of the tones for my band's demo tracks are via a POD HD300. It works like a charm through the power amp of a head live too. I just rent the head from Long & McQuade.