This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mr_fruitbowl

Reaction score
I only have a guitar (no bass) and I'm looking to finish up a song.

Is there any way to use the guitar and octave pedals to make the guitar sound very much like a bass?
I've tried and had very unsuccessful results.

Anyone have any decent settings? Should I use a bass amp even though it's a guitar I'm playing?

Or am I dreaming? Is the only way to get a bass?

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I only have a guitar (no bass) and I'm looking to finish up a song.

Is there any way to use the guitar and octave pedals to make the guitar sound very much like a bass?
I've tried and had very unsuccessful results.

Anyone have any decent settings? Should I use a bass amp even though it's a guitar I'm playing?

Or am I dreaming? Is the only way to get a bass?

You can use use the pitch shifter down an octave but it sounds like shit.

Try this: record a guitar track direct without any effects or amp models, then export that track. Open up Audacity, and use its pitch shift function. Export the track from audacity, then import it into the bass track in your daw.

Then use the hd500 reamp process that I posted a few pages back to get your tone.

If you can't figure it out, there's a video on YouTube called "low budget metal recording" I think. This method is a lot better than the pods pitch shifting, but still not as good as a bass. Which is why I sucked it up and bought one.

Hope this helps since I just typed it out on my phone....

meambobbo

Reaction score
my advice is to record a clean guitar track but don't use a pick - use your thumb. and use a neck or neck + bridge pickup selection. If you use pitch shifting, maybe keep the mix kinda low so it's there but doesn't dominate the dry track. no matter how you do this it's not gonna sound like a bass. you might be better off finding some bass samples and just programming it.

flv75

Reaction score
hi guys , any rumor about a new firmware update ?

kastenfrog

Reaction score
hey there.

forgive me if a similar question got asked before but i didn't really know how to search for this.
i got a pod hd500 a while ago. i downloaded some high rated modern metal tones from custom tone but to me they all sound dull and pretty quiet. :scratch: i made rythm tone myself which in my opinion sounds better than anything i found on ct. is it the fact that i'm still using a gio ibanez with ass-pickups and my own tone will probably sound overkill on a guitar with decent pickups or does the "real tone only comes with mixing? sorry if it's a stupid question but i have yet to find my way into tech/recording stuff

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
I've found that a lot of tones that I download have to be tweaked a little (or a whole lot) before they fit with my gear. The person that shaped the tone could've had a multitude of different things from you such as string gauge/brand, pickups, cable/cable length, pots, blah blah blah.

Get tweakin, son.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
I think I've posted this in here before, apologies if this is a double post.

Here's my main SLO patch I use live, D.I signal with a Line 6 L3M monitor on stage as my reference (plus in ear system)

Ross McDougall Patch.h5e

Set the FS menu option to FS 5-8 for this one.

FS1 controls my 'lead' effects (turns off gate, turns on another gate with a smaller threshold, turns on delay/reverb after amp)

FS2 is a 'layer' effect (turns on delay)

I've assigned multiple parameters to the footswitch, when FS1 is all the way down it reduces gain on the amp, increases gain on the overdrive and increases the mix of a delay that's permanently 'on'. This means I can go from a high gain overdrive to a low gain/dirty/crunch with a hint of delay. I use this during a low gain arpeggio bit in one of our new songs.

I've been tweaking the deep editing to make this sound as 'big' as possible with our setup.

Our other gutiarist uses the SLO on his axe fx so I've copied his amp setup and we've spent our time at practise trying to get our tones as similar as possible. His is a bit more 'spongey' but that's down to personal preference.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
hey there.

forgive me if a similar question got asked before but i didn't really know how to search for this.
i got a pod hd500 a while ago. i downloaded some high rated modern metal tones from custom tone but to me they all sound dull and pretty quiet. :scratch: i made rythm tone myself which in my opinion sounds better than anything i found on ct. is it the fact that i'm still using a gio ibanez with ass-pickups and my own tone will probably sound overkill on a guitar with decent pickups or does the "real tone only comes with mixing? sorry if it's a stupid question but i have yet to find my way into tech/recording stuff

If your using crap pickups, you'll need to tweak according to those pickups. As was said, every tone is tweaked to the users setup.

You have to keep in mind though that any of the tones used for recording are always double tracked or more as well as mixed with another tone.

DeathMentaL

Unborn MentaL
Reaction score
Hey.

I love the POD HD. Been using it for a few months now and got a new song out with it. (check sig).

LivingTimmy

Timmy!!
Reaction score
Yo! Some two handed tapping on my RG8 using my HD500 :D
Made a tone to celebrate 250 subscribers! You can download the tone that you hear in the video, the link is in the description on the YouTube video!

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
I just learned that sometimes removing a compressor from your signal chain in a distortion patch, sometimes it sounds better! Oh silly me. :lol:

Reaction score
Hey guys, I promised you a few pages back that I would give you a brief sample of my tones I use for quadtracking my rhythm guitars. So here it is.

Link: https://soundcloud.com/#wingsofobsidian/test-mix-pod-hd500-tones

Description:
This breakdown is a series of clips demonstrating each of the four tones on my POD HD500 that I use while tracking rhythm guitars for my album. (Quadtracked guitars with two panned to each side.) I left the tracks completely RAW and uneditted. Only thing I did was to add in some fades and pan everything.

The first clip is a brief demonstration of the sound in which you can hear what everything sounds like overall pieced together and panned around.

The second clip demonstrates the isolated TONE 1: a rather scooped djenty tone.

The third clip demonstrates the isolated TONE 2: a grindy, industrial tone with alot of bass to compensate when it is mixed with the first tone.

The fourth clip demonstrates what TONE 1 and TONE 2 sound like when mixed together.

The fifth clip demonstrates the isolated TONE 3: a more Meshuggah-inspired tone, but with a little less "djent" and "scratchiness".

The sixth clip demonstrates the isolated TONE 4: a more compressed sound using the new Line 6 Electrik amp with a post-EQ to add a little extra mid-range to the amp. (Extremely simple.)

The final clip shows you the final product of what all four sound like when mixed together and panned to their respective locations in the spatial coverage of the riff I'm playing.

thedonal

Reaction score
I'm thinking about saving for a POD HD for late night practice and portability (it's not as heavy as an amp...!).

Currently considering the HD400. Asides from a few FX slots, loop and patch memory and less buttons, am I really missing that much if I don't go the extra for the HD500? It also seems that the 500 has a few less amp models (I can't see myself really managing to use ALL the models on the 300/400 anyways).

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I'm thinking about saving for a POD HD for late night practice and portability (it's not as heavy as an amp...!).

Currently considering the HD400. Asides from a few FX slots, loop and patch memory and less buttons, am I really missing that much if I don't go the extra for the HD500? It also seems that the 500 has a few less amp models (I can't see myself really managing to use ALL the models on the 300/400 anyways).

It's not just the amount of fx blocks, it's the fact that you can only place certain things in certain blocks. Don't waste your time with the hd400 and just get the 500 or the hd desktop.

Reaction score

I agree. When you realize you've made a big mistake, you won't be able to sell it easily cause nobody wants those. Get the HD500.

thedonal

Reaction score
Even so, I don't really go mad for effects- some mod (either chorus, flange, delay or rotary), delay and reverb. Not a big pitch shift user etc.

I can't see myself really wanting for that much more for the price step up (280GBP against 450GBP). While it'd be nice for the flagship unit, budget is tight and the 400 seems a reasonable compromise..