This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

meambobbo

Reaction score
Man, I cannot understate the importance of the Mid-Focus EQ!

I am always comparing my Axe-FX Standard and HD500. Many times the HD500 just makes me want to throw it. Most of the time I play into cabs without cab models in stack poweramp mode.

I have read over and over about the Mid-Focus EQ for making the guitar sit in the mix, but I never thought to mess with it for poweramp/cab use. I was messing with it today and it helped massively! I think the thing that bugs me most about the HD500 is the kazoo sound in the highs. I like darker sounds, and the Axe-FX is pretty dark. Using the Mid-Focus EQ really helped take that annoying sound away. I compensated by cranking up the treble and presence on the amp. Sounded WAY better than anything else I have done with it lately!

Try it at the end of the chain, even if it is not for recording. Dial out the kazoo, and dial out a little bit of boom in the lows.

Indeed, even if you leave the low pass cutoff frequency at 100% and start tweaking Q downward, you can get a more natural-sounding, gradual roll-off on the highs.

meambobbo

Reaction score
Ricky - loving the new track. Wayne is really show-casing his unique vocal style, which fits well with your no-holds-barred riffage and double bass battery. Maybe it's the crappy earbuds, but I felt like the tone was much brighter than usual. Did you turn down the bass track? Usually your tracks rumble my walls.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Ricky - loving the new track. Wayne is really show-casing his unique vocal style, which fits well with your no-holds-barred riffage and double bass battery. Maybe it's the crappy earbuds, but I felt like the tone was much brighter than usual. Did you turn down the bass track? Usually your tracks rumble my walls.

i think the difference was that i didnt do any mastering besides the limiter. i usually use multiband compression as well as some aural exciting. i tried to keep things all within reason since it still isnt a finished track. there WILL be real drums on this project. the only issue is that when your working with two other guys over the internet, you cant just lay it all down in one night lol

meambobbo

Reaction score
i have a treat for you too...actually all of you...

all new patches:
Index of /podhd/patches/hd500
http://foobazaar.com/podhd/patches/hd500/maB_05-29-13.h5s

the entire setlist has been updated. major changes have come from turning down most of the Cab DEP's to get a crisper and more natural sound, and better EQ'ing, so they have a more flat tone - basically I shelved the highs a bit more and really dialed in the mids, but without any nasty peaks.

let's just put it this way - my wife HATES my updated patches. LARD HAVE MERCY.

Zei

Reaction score
Made a new heavy rhythm patch whilst fiddling with a Holdsworth lead haha

Sadly, I lost the patch before I could save it, but I managed to finish this short recording. The patch I'm referring to is the rhythm tone, not any of the leads.

https://soundcloud.com/enhalo/heavy-tone-and-solo

I'm gonna be trying to recreate it soon, as I loved it haha. Reminded me a lot of BTBAM's tone from Parallax II.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
i have a treat for you too...actually all of you...

all new patches:
Index of /podhd/patches/hd500
http://foobazaar.com/podhd/patches/hd500/maB_05-29-13.h5s

the entire setlist has been updated. major changes have come from turning down most of the Cab DEP's to get a crisper and more natural sound, and better EQ'ing, so they have a more flat tone - basically I shelved the highs a bit more and really dialed in the mids, but without any nasty peaks.

let's just put it this way - my wife HATES my updated patches. LARD HAVE MERCY.

ERMAHGERD! PERCHAS!

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
That sounds really great! Very close to the Satan! Can't wait 'till 10 likes :yesway:

Thanks! It's at 5 already. I think that's the most likes I've got on anything yet.

5 more likes and Lucifer will be let out of his cage! And you don't even have to kill Ruby to do it! (Supernatural reference. Love that show lol)

I will let you in on a tiny secret in the meantime... I was forced to use a very small amount of post processing as I ran out of fx blocks on the patch. So there is a small, narrow cut at 5000hz that isn't in the patch, but it still sounds great without it. It just helped it complete the mixed tone :)

fraxtal

Reaction score
Hey Ricky , what amp model model did you use on your icarus lives demo on soundcloud ? pretty badass, think i like that tone equally as much as the diezel patch

EricSVT18

Reaction score
Can HD Pro patches be downloaded on the HD500? Because when I try and download one it doesn't work.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Ricky , what amp model model did you use on your icarus lives demo on soundcloud ? pretty badass, think i like that tone equally as much as the diezel patch

I used my PeripheRick patch for the main left and right and blended the diezel patch in as well. One per side, the diezel track is just turned down a bit. Both of them are on my customtone page :) you can get away without the diezel mixed in, but it hits way harder with them in the mix.

If anyone wants to know how to do the opening part of the tone, just use a high pass filter set to 500hz.

fraxtal

Reaction score
Oh nice! i've been toying around with the diezel patch through my power amp merging it with some tones i've made. Fattens everything up :)