This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EricSVT18

Reaction score
quick tone test, what do you think? it's just Icarus lives. I stop playing for a couple seconds around 17sec so you can hear the original tone compared to mine. Also, I forgot to edit the length haha, I stop playing at 53seconds, so you can stop listening after that.
https://soundcloud.com/ericsvt18/tonetest001

EDIT- ok soundcloud removed the track. Kane, how did you keep soundclound from removing it? it must be because of the periphery track.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I posted my tone match clip on Ola's Facebook page and he said it sounds pretty close and that I did a good job! I can die happy now lol

I may use his DI tracks that I have to further tweak it, but it may make it sound less like his satan since his playing is so much different than mine. It anybody's for that matter lol

EricSVT18

Reaction score
we'll see how long soundcloud keeps this up...

it's a quick little taylor swift cover I did lol. It's not mixed or anything. I've only had HD500/reaper for 2 days so I'm still getting use to everything. The voice is quiet in the beginning but then evens out. It's sloppy, but I just threw this together today.

https://soundcloud.com/ericsvt18/cover001

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
we'll see how long soundcloud keeps this up...

it's a quick little taylor swift cover I did lol. It's not mixed or anything. I've only had HD500/reaper for 2 days so I'm still getting use to everything. The voice is quiet in the beginning but then evens out. It's sloppy, but I just threw this together today.

https://soundcloud.com/ericsvt18/cover001

I've never had soundcloud remove a track of mine. Maybe they just don't like you lol

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
lol who's, mine or rickys? Because I think mine sounds like junk. I need to figure out how to mix/master

Getting a decent mix isn't hard, but mastering is more of an art that takes a lot if ear training, know how and practice. Just watch a few mixing tutorials on YouTube.

My main piece of advice is to think of your overall mix as a bucket of water. Every time you add something, the bucket gets closer to spilling. So always try to cut before you try boosting with any eq's. take away what you DON'T need. Then you have more room for other things in the mix.

Also keep in mind that every instrument has its own frequency where it "lives" if you have two things fighting for space in the same spot, things will get messy. For example, I make a narrow cut on my bass tone where the kick drum is the most powerful so that they aren't muffled together.

That's all the free tips for this lesson. This has been Tech Talk with RickyCigs.

AaronGraves

Reaction score
Question for Ricky.

I'm on my break at work so I can't try this yet, but I'm curious. Can I reamp a patch to a new DI tone? Now that I figured out how to do this, reamping would be so much easier than re-recording all my stuff I have, but I never recorded DI's for any of my tracks. Would that work at all?

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Question for Ricky.

I'm on my break at work so I can't try this yet, but I'm curious. Can I reamp a patch to a new DI tone? Now that I figured out how to do this, reamping would be so much easier than re-recording all my stuff I have, but I never recorded DI's for any of my tracks. Would that work at all?

No, you can only reamp a clean guitar track. You could reamp and distorted tone through some eq's, but you can't remove the distortion. Your stuck re-recording if your not happy. Just think of it as good practice :)

Something you can do if constantly change your mind about tone, record a DI only for every single song you do and reamp every single time. You can use a vst amp sim for recording so that it sounds good while your tracking, but doesn't effect your DI at all.

Zei

Reaction score
Is it a good idea to use a guitar with an octaver on it (-12) to record a quick bass with? I don't have a bass and it's getting rather annoying not having any body to my tracks haha. I know it won't sound the same, but for a quick demo would it have any adverse aural effects?

PodHdBean

Reaction score
pitch glide -12 in front of a bass patch works well :hbang:
Is it a good idea to use a guitar with an octaver on it (-12) to record a quick bass with? I don't have a bass and it's getting rather annoying not having any body to my tracks haha. I know it won't sound the same, but for a quick demo would it have any adverse aural effects?

Shask

Reaction score

Either that, or sometimes you can can get better results by just recording the clean tone of your guitar and use a pitch plugin in you DAW after you recorded it to shift it down an octave.

Reaction score
I haven't tried it, but I'm sure everyone who hasn't a bass guitar could download a bass sample pack which can be loaded in kontakt and then reamping (Even with the POD). That would sound way better. In my case, I own a Washburn XB-100 4 string bass which up to now has served good.