Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
I got some days ago an eleven rack. I might keep the desktop HD as a backup unit, but I don't see myself turning it on soon.

Pod HD pros:
-Good price (for the desktop and HD500 mostly).
-Amp and cab DEPs are great for fine-tuning your midrange, perhaps achieving even more realistic mids up to the "hot djent" area. After that, chaos.
-Fancier effects for dreamy patches. Their quality might not be top of the line compared to fx-dedicated units or Axe-fx etc, but they are extremely good.
-Ability to deal a parallel clean/distorted bass patch.

Pod HD cons:
-You look at it and it digitally clips. Before you plug it to the outlet.
-Stupid lack of a DI/reamping solution on most hardware models, percentages instead of Hz, etc you know the stuff.
-Incosistent low frequency response.
-Bad digital upper-end harshness that's hard to get rid of without killing the good high end. Most of the times you just get used to it.
-Cabs ranging from okaish to bad. Even when you pick the cab that responds closer to the way you like or has an exceptional frequency response in a specific area, you end up spending more DSP eq'ing or working around its weak or bad spots, instead of EQing the whole patch, if that makes any sense.
-Dual amp configurations are often needed to cover the aforementioned weak spots for heavy rhythm stuff, but still compromises have to be made in terms of DSP and EQing.

That's it from the top of my head from my short experience with the eleven rack and my longer (and generally unsuccesful) with the HD desktop.

To clarify, the HD is a king in its price range in terms of versatility, but an eleven rack is a more user-friendly solution for just a little more dough if you find it used. Personally I got mine used for 400 euros, and though it's steep compared to what it runs for now in the US used market, I still believe I got a bang for my buck.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I just got my Mackie SMR450V2 to pair up with the HD500 and i noticed that the xlr to xlr connection has a weaker signal than the jack (pod) to xlr (mackie) connection, assumed equal master knob values on the Pod.
Like, if i'm with the xlr-xlr connection and i put the master volume halfway on the mackie (+0 db, i assume), the volume is barely audible for practising but in the same situation it's considerably louder with the jack-xlr connection.
Is that a regular thing?

By the jack you mean the 1/4 output? Mind that you can switch the 1/4 output mode to 'Amp' in which case the 1/4 output goes without preamplification, or 'Line' which come preamped. 'Line' setting is for sending it to the power amp section of an amp or a power amp head.

armdias

Reaction score
I got some days ago an eleven rack. I might keep the desktop HD as a backup unit, but I don't see myself turning it on soon.

Pod HD pros:
-Good price (for the desktop and HD500 mostly).
-Amp and cab DEPs are great for fine-tuning your midrange, perhaps achieving even more realistic mids up to the "hot djent" area. After that, chaos.
-Fancier effects for dreamy patches. Their quality might not be top of the line compared to fx-dedicated units or Axe-fx etc, but they are extremely good.
-Ability to deal a parallel clean/distorted bass patch.

Pod HD cons:
-You look at it and it digitally clips. Before you plug it to the outlet.
-Stupid lack of a DI/reamping solution on most hardware models, percentages instead of Hz, etc you know the stuff.
-Incosistent low frequency response.
-Bad digital upper-end harshness that's hard to get rid of without killing the good high end. Most of the times you just get used to it.
-Cabs ranging from okaish to bad. Even when you pick the cab that responds closer to the way you like or has an exceptional frequency response in a specific area, you end up spending more DSP eq'ing or working around its weak or bad spots, instead of EQing the whole patch, if that makes any sense.
-Dual amp configurations are often needed to cover the aforementioned weak spots for heavy rhythm stuff, but still compromises have to be made in terms of DSP and EQing.

That's it from the top of my head from my short experience with the eleven rack and my longer (and generally unsuccesful) with the HD desktop.

To clarify, the HD is a king in its price range in terms of versatility, but an eleven rack is a more user-friendly solution for just a little more dough if you find it used. Personally I got mine used for 400 euros, and though it's steep compared to what it runs for now in the US used market, I still believe I got a bang for my buck.

How would you compare the POD vs 11R for the high gain metal sound, and overall amp simulations? Is the 11R miles ahead of the POD?

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
How would you compare the POD vs 11R for the high gain metal sound, and overall amp simulations? Is the 11R miles ahead of the POD?

They both do high gain well. There are some great comparison videos on youtube that you can find as well that will help sway your opinion in favor of either or. It really comes down to a personal preference. I had the POD HD PRO for some time, and I loved the unit, but I needed more, so I got a kemper.

Wachu

Reaction score
...with the Expression pedal sweeping from one to the other so that I can adjust in real-time the simulation of a crossfade from clean/crunch or vise versa

How exactly you done that? I mean how to set EXP pedal to play one amp on one position, and second on the other?

mr_fruitbowl

Reaction score
Is there any way to copy whole presets?

I really like how I have one preset configured(amp/pedals), but want to change 1-2 pedals in the chain.

Is this possible?

thebunfather

Custom Monkey
Reaction score
Is there any way to copy whole presets?

I really like how I have one preset configured(amp/pedals), but want to change 1-2 pedals in the chain.

Is this possible?

If you're using HD Edit, you can click on the preset once to highlight it, then ctrl/drag and drop into the location that you want it saved.

If you're editing on the unit itself, just hit save and select where you want the preset saved to with the small knobs under the LCD.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/gurtschwurtz/mend/s-essQU[/SC]

A new song my band recorded for our EP coming out in a couple months. All guitar tones are with the Pod HD500 with an external cab that I downloaded, and bass was done with a combination of external pedals in the effects loop of my HD500.

Critiques are welcome!

daedae

Reaction score
How exactly you done that? I mean how to set EXP pedal to play one amp on one position, and second on the other?

You just need your two amps/signal chains in the same preset. Pan them both center in the mixer block. You then assign the EXP pedal to both volumes, I assume to the amp volume but maybe you can assign it to channel volume (I've read how to do this but I've never done it myself). Basically you set the pedal to control volume on one, going from 0 at the lowest to your target at the highest, and the same pedal to control volume on the other one going from 0 at the highest to your target at the lowest. The pedal all the way in the down position will have one amp turned up, and all the way in the up position will have the other amp turned up, and anywhere in between will be a mix of the two.

Rizzo

Reaction score
By the jack you mean the 1/4 output? Mind that you can switch the 1/4 output mode to 'Amp' in which case the 1/4 output goes without preamplification, or 'Line' which come preamped. 'Line' setting is for sending it to the power amp section of an amp or a power amp head.
Yeah thanks, the switch is on "line" already. In fact, putting it on "amp" brings an even quieter signal.

Wachu

Reaction score
Hi all
I need some advice from you guys. I'm building my little empire, for now i have HD500, FRFR, guitar, headphones(32Ohm) und laptop. Now i just need to connect all this things for my needs. If it possible I want to record on PC, have direct monitoring through headphones and FRFR, plus I want to play background track on PC to record with. Important thing is to get as low latency as possible. And I know that HD500 headphones monitoring can suck, so i rather want to plug headphones in some external device. First I though about mixer, xenyx Q802USB, but i heard that is impossible to record guitar and hear background track at the same time on this unit (maybe some others mixers can do it?). Mixer would be nice to record vocals+3 band eq extra. But if not mixer, than some interface(scarlett 2i2?) will be nice.. if it handle what i need. So at the attached below professional sketch you see 2 ways which are in my mind, but i need some advice from you- FIRST: is what im thinking wise? SECOND: if so, which of this route is better? THIRD: any ideas about:better mixer, interface, better chain?
Thank you a LOT!

schemat_hd500_1.jpg

schemat_hd500_2.jpg

Stijnson

Reaction score
Seems to me like you're overcomplicating things. I won't be drawing an equally beautiful diagram, but I would recommend just monitoring through the POD, using that as an interface, so plugging your headphones and monitors into that. Connect the POD's usb to your PC and set it up to be used as an interface. This way you can do all the things you want, with little to no latency. I think most people, including myself, run it this way and it means you dont need to buy an interface.

Wachu

Reaction score
Seems to me like you're overcomplicating things. I won't be drawing an equally beautiful diagram, but I would recommend just monitoring through the POD, using that as an interface, so plugging your headphones and monitors into that. Connect the POD's usb to your PC and set it up to be used as an interface. This way you can do all the things you want, with little to no latency. I think most people, including myself, run it this way and it means you dont need to buy an interface.

Yes, but what with background track, is it possible to record guitar and listen to b.track only with single usb connection?

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Thinking about getting either a POD HD500x or AMPLIFi FX100 for practice. Which would be better for that application using some Logitech computer speakers w/ sub or ear buds for monitors? From the demos on YouTube, I think both sound good but would appreciate the ease of use of the FX100, though I'm sure HD500x edit on the computer could accomplish similar. And I'm sure someone's going to say "Why would you compare a lesser gen product to a newer gen product; are you trolling" but I'm curious before I spend the money. I think the tone match option of the FX100 would cut down on time spent dialing in tones so I can play more. What do you guys think?

Hopefully this doesn't make anyone mad; I would've started a thread but I figured you guys would be able to give me some good advice. Thanks.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
Did a cover of Deep Purple's Highway Star using my POD HD500 for the bass again, it's for the audition I mentioned in the other post so it's not really a multi angled production value thing, but if anyone's interested in something they could use as a backing track here we go:

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score
That's a pretty solid bass tone.
I'm still using my X3 for bass. Guitars in this clip are all HD500, however.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/jacob-jung-1/midst-of-time-instrumental[/SC]