RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
ok, so i havent been very active here in quite a while, but i see you guys are still taling about 3rd party ir's.

SO,

i did a new test with my pod. i recently picked up some of the Ownhammer High Gain Essentials and let me just say, WOW. absolutely blown away. i own the entire redwirez set and these beat them hands down.

the patch in this test is literally just a gate, screamer and slo overdrive.
https://soundcloud.com/rickycigs/new-pod-demo-hd500-ownhammer

i had been using these with my laney and started to wonder what they could do for the pod. let me know what you guys think!

Edit: the dirty bass is a little high, but it just adds to the dirtiness i suppose. thats what i get for rushing a mix

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
ok, so i havent been very active here in quite a while, but i see you guys are still taling about 3rd party ir's.

SO,

i did a new test with my pod. i recently picked up some of the Ownhammer High Gain Essentials and let me just say, WOW. absolutely blown away. i own the entire redwirez set and these beat them hands down.

the patch in this test is literally just a gate, screamer and slo overdrive.
https://soundcloud.com/rickycigs/new-pod-demo-hd500-ownhammer

i had been using these with my laney and started to wonder what they could do for the pod. let me know what you guys think!

Edit: the dirty bass is a little high, but it just adds to the dirtiness i suppose. thats what i get for rushing a mix

thats sounds great.I've been using redwirez and like em. I may have to chuck $9 at the ownhammer mesa 4 x 12 v30 set to comapre

lewis

Reaction score
ANYONE have any patches or tips on a Monuments type patch form their latest album. Guitars are sounding sick as to me. I know John has used Pods ALOT in the past so someone must be able to get close on the HD series?! :)

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
ANYONE have any patches or tips on a Monuments type patch form their latest album. Guitars are sounding sick as to me. I know John has used Pods ALOT in the past so someone must be able to get close on the HD series?! :)

I haven't had a crack at the new tone yet, but I have one going that's very similar to Gnosis's tone, and the two don't seem to differ too much. I'll record something and post a patch soon.

lewis

Reaction score
I haven't had a crack at the new tone yet, but I have one going that's very similar to Gnosis's tone, and the two don't seem to differ too much. I'll record something and post a patch soon.
Hell yeah man!! :) love the Gnosis tone. That would be sick ;) cant wait to hear it :hbang:

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there any reason to get the rack mount HD500 over the pedal? I'm looking to downsize my rig and have essentially settled on a HD500 and some sort of monitors/PA for some FR/FR action :lol:

Reaction score
Is there any reason to get the rack mount HD500 over the pedal? I'm looking to downsize my rig and have essentially settled on a HD500 and some sort of monitors/PA for some FR/FR action :lol:

Other than having an S/PDIF in, there isn't any other difference. That feature would only be useful if you wanted to reamp or process a clean signal coming from an interface, for example. Still, I think the HD500 wins because you get a footpedal and footswitches, which with the Pro version you'd have to buy it separately, which adds more cables and gear to a live gig, so further time setting up things on stage and possibilities of stumbling with a cable.

lewis

Reaction score
Does anyone use their Pod HD with the Torpedo CAB pedal? Im thinking about doing this with my Pod HD pro for live (FOH) and recording.

Does it partner the Pod HD well? and is it worth the money (which doesnt really put me off)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
people actually defend the POD IR's? :rofl:

gonna post tomorrow, Im way too sleepy right now...

I'm actually surprised at how many people were defending them. :ugh:

I see people saying they either notice small or no differences at all. When I hear comparisons, they're pretty goddamn drastic.

lewis

Reaction score

I see people saying they either notice small or no differences at all. When I hear comparisons, they're pretty goddamn drastic.

The Pod Cabs and Mics are shit. But at least the Amps sound great.

Reaction score

I think there are a couple cabs and mics that sound decent, others, I just don't care. But I don't think people defend them. What I'm worried about is that you're asking something that the hardware may not be up to the challenge. It's like you wanted to play Fifa 2014 on a Pentium III machine with 256 RAM...

At some point, we should realise of the limitations of hardware, and there's a reason why Axe Fx and alikes cost way more. I'd really prefer they concentrated in making new amps/cabs/mics and/or improve the ones they already are in the POD, rather than working on a feature that will consume 50% of the POD's processing power...

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
the thing is, that my chain now needs like 4 EQ's, one to get rid of the nassal low-mids, one for the digital fizz around 4000-5000 Hz, one to get a controllable low-end, and another for some random cut here and there

but when I use IR's, my chain is:

TubeScreamer -> Noisegate -> Amp, so I doubt I'll need all that much DSP if Im using my favourite cabs :lol:

Reaction score
the thing is, that my chain now needs like 4 EQ's, one to get rid of the nassal low-mids, one for the digital fizz around 4000-5000 Hz, one to get a controllable low-end, and another for some random cut here and there

but when I use IR's, my chain is:

TubeScreamer -> Noisegate -> Amp, so I doubt I'll need all that much DSP if Im using my favourite cabs :lol:

You're right about we'd use less EQ to compensate the bad sound of cabs/mics of the pod, but honestly, I don't really know in which areas processing power is used. Assume that global settings, graphics and things we hardly know already consume 25%, and the rest is used for modeling. 50% sounds like a lot...

I feel like I'm in both sides here. On one hand, I think Line 6 came with a great product, one of a kind, during the 90's. Then saw (or maybe not) in the rear view mirror technologies coming, they saw them next to the POD, and see them now in the front, and didn't nor do nothing to at least catch up. They have forums where people ask for features and in most cases they do nothing about it.

But I also feel they may haven't done a thing about impulses because hardware is not up to it. When I saw processing power is 300 Mhz....damn...that's like year 94 technology. Either case, they should just give an ending answer "Yes, we've been lazy to implement it, we'll do it" or just say "The bottom line is that hardware can't do it.".

daedae

Reaction score
But I also feel they may haven't done a thing about impulses because hardware is not up to it. When I saw processing power is 300 Mhz....damn...that's like year 94 technology. Either case, they should just give an ending answer "Yes, we've been lazy to implement it, we'll do it" or just say "The bottom line is that hardware can't do it.".

Well, 300MHz for a dedicated DSP isn't actually that slow... it looks like the Tiger Sharc range that the AxeFX II uses maxes out at 600MHz. (Insert long-winded discussion about how much computer architectures can vary and how much or little processor speed matters here.)

That being said, the answer from the L6 rep sounded like it was closer to the end of the "HW won't do it" end of the spectrum. The HD series does use convolution reverbs, but they said they tweaked, filtered, and otherwise optimized the IRs for what they thought was the best performance, and that these optimizations were unique per IR rather than some definite process. I suggested, but didn't get a response, that they could appease some people by allowing user IRs to be dropped in anyway and that the conversion would simply resample or truncate the IR to fit. At that point though, I'd guess the issue is that they're concerned the quality might not be as good as users would get by using a third-party IR loader, and that releasing what would sound like a half-assed solution is worse than no solution at all.

Nihilum

Reaction score
Are peope still into the POD HD500 or has it basically been made obsolete with the 500X?

Nihilum

Reaction score
it's the same thing soundwise dude...

You don't find the extra power makes a big difference in the patches you can make? I've never played around with a 500X myself, I only have the regular ol' 500, but I've seen some reviews mentioning that they find the 500X to be a lot more useful than the old model (such as this video for example HD500 vs HD500X - YouTube).

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
You don't find the extra power makes a big difference in the patches you can make? I've never played around with a 500X myself, I only have the regular ol' 500, but I've seen some reviews mentioning that they find the 500X to be a lot more useful than the old model (such as this video for example HD500 vs HD500X - YouTube).

The extra power is helpful if you want to insert many effects in an atmospheric patch. The first 2 patches of that dude though could be replicated with single amp ones I believe.

In cases of distorted heavy patches it can be useful for that extra EQ that you might find your dual amp patch was lacking. I have the desktop version so I feel that lack of DSP for the extra equalisation quite often.

Honestly though, I've been all in for dual amps but I think I'll end up using single amp patches. Usually dual amps for heavy rhythm follow the logic of having one cab that's a bit more dark but excels in bass and mids, and a brighter one that has better high mids and high end. It's a pain to match them, and even when you find that combination of cabs that's good in something, corrective EQ is necessary to cover their weak spots.