VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I'm going straight to the PA but I have a huge monitor in front of me and I've had great results with 11r previously. I've only used Uber and F ball preset yesterday (meambobbo's LOG and Dream theater patches) which seem to be great for recording. Ive tweaked them a bit but they were lost in the cymbals and bass. I really need a live preset to begin with.

Wish i had more FRFR experience to help- i played one gig like that and managed to get decent tones. It's just going to take alot of trial and error in a band setting, at least it did for me. Probably about 6 months of tweaking and trying different outboard gear before i really got to where i thought my tone was true tube amp quality. Everytime after practice or gig i'd tweak what was not right, or sometimes make major changes (like turning off power amp models - that helped a ton with cymbals drowning me out). The tone is in there, you just have to find the right settings for your set up, which could be the opposite of what's working for my set up. Just keep in mind that what might sound tamer at bedroom volume may be perfect for band volume - even with the pod! Good luck!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dominoes282

Mixing Engineer
Reaction score
Wish i had more FRFR experience to help- i played one gig like that and managed to get decent tones. It's just going to take alot of trial and error in a band setting, at least it did for me. Probably about 6 months of tweaking and trying different outboard gear before i really got to where i thought my tone was true tube amp quality. Everytime after practice or gig i'd tweak what was not right, or sometimes make major changes (like turning off power amp models - that helped a ton with cymbals drowning me out). The tone is in there, you just have to find the right settings for your set up, which could be the opposite of what's working for my set up. Just keep in mind that what might sound tamer at bedroom volume may be perfect for band volume - even with the pod! Good luck!

Hey man you play gigs at Shakas? VB represent! Anyways, I get a good live tone with meambobbo's Recti patch modified a little bit, which was part of his 0622 setlist. I could upload it if anyone wants it since it's not available anymore.

Schaug

Reaction score
Hey man you play gigs at Shakas? VB represent! Anyways, I get a good live tone with meambobbo's Recti patch modified a little bit, which was part of his 0622 setlist. I could upload it if anyone wants it since it's not available anymore.

Upload it please. I'm considering to combine a dark crunchy amp (Phd,JCM800) with Uber or Recto and then tweak them in the mixer after I dial out the shrill with paraEQ, I just want the mids to cut, some presets are just too tight if that makes sense.

Centrix

Reaction score
I've been trying to achieve a decent DragonForce sound but I think I am not experienced enough with the POD in order to do so. Which amp/cab do you guys think is more appropriate for this?

bcolville

Reaction score
So I don't know if this is a well known trick but I'll share anyways just in case. You can make your guitar tones a lot thicker by quad tracking with two different mics. Just use your regular recording patch then try some different mic on it. My regular patch had a 421 dynamic and it was a little dark for my liking. So when I quad tracked I blended it with the 409 dynamic since it was brighter. Those mics go really well together. All of a sudden the guitars had so much more balls to them. I wish I could post clips but it's for a song on an upcoming album.

Reaction score
A month ago a radio programme took my band to a studio to record a rehearsal of 2 songs. They also filmed that session. That day I was planning to use my Fender Deluxe 112 amp, in which I plug the HD500 to the Power Amp In input. The engineer suggested me to use an Ibanez Screamer amp (Tube) they had in the studio, so we tested it and went for it. Since I didn't wanted to mess with the presets, I just changed the output of the POD to Amp and set the hi and low cuts to Flat. I also changed the 1/4" switch to Amp (It was set to Line for the Pwr Out mode).

Without further words, the videos:

As a bonus, one of the songs from our last show, of course, using the HD500:

campbell01

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm really considering getting a Line 6 POD HD500x but have some seriously noob questions. First, how does using it to record guitars create patches work? Can i assign them to certain footswitches to use live? How does the whole poweramp thing work? Just plug PODHD-power amp-cab? Does it light up for dark stages? Also on poweramps, what do you guys think about solid state ones? I have a 1x12 Orange cab, is there stuff out there that will work for me? Thanks in advance. I'm still learning about gear and a lot of searches dont give me straight answers.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
See comments in bold below:

Hey guys I'm really considering getting a Line 6 POD HD500x but have some seriously noob questions. First, how does using it to record guitars create patches work? Can i assign them to certain footswitches to use live? (both these things are described in the manual) How does the whole poweramp thing work? Just plug PODHD-power amp-cab?(yes) Does it light up for dark stages?(yes) Also on poweramps, what do you guys think about solid state ones?(I have a Matrix GT800FX, which is a super nice solid state rack power amp. There are plenty other options, amp heads with an fx loop for instance. Through the fx loop you plug right into the power amp of it) I have a 1x12 Orange cab, is there stuff out there that will work for me? (if you are going to perform, I recommend upgrading to at least a 2x12) Thanks in advance. I'm still learning about gear and a lot of searches dont give me straight answers.

noj

Reaction score
Hi :) I just got my HD Pro X today and so far its amazing! I just have a couple quick questions, that i'm sure have been answered before but i'm having too much fun with my new POD that i don't want to read through 368 pages to find it haha. Anyway, at the moment i'm using headphones, do i set it to studio/direct? And i'll be buying an ALTO TS115a this weekend though, so when i get it do i keep it on studio/direct? Thanks! I'm sure i'll be back with more questions soon enough :p

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score

No Shakas yet but i've heard good things about it. We do South Beach Grill, Cap't Rons (monthly), Grumpy's, Riff house, Lido Inn, Hoss' Deli once. We are doing South Beach Grill this saturday actually! :metal:

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Anyone got some good X3L or HD500 patches they wish to share? I like dual amps but a good tone is a good tone. Send em to my inbox if it's not too much trouble. More the merrier.

Dominoes282

Mixing Engineer
Reaction score
Upload it please. I'm considering to combine a dark crunchy amp (Phd,JCM800) with Uber or Recto and then tweak them in the mixer after I dial out the shrill with paraEQ, I just want the mids to cut, some presets are just too tight if that makes sense.

Sorry it took so long but here is the setlist.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8wpgtowgt3y08b8/bak.hrs

If your setlist's are already full just start Pod Edit in Offline mode (without pod connected) and pull patches on to your desktop from there.

No Shakas yet but i've heard good things about it. We do South Beach Grill, Cap't Rons (monthly), Grumpy's, Riff house, Lido Inn, Hoss' Deli once. We are doing South Beach Grill this saturday actually! :metal:

Cool I'ma have to check those places out. I go to Shakas and Club Relevant primarily though. Relevant is a good venue but the sound guy sucks :lol:

tripguitar

Settler of Catan
Reaction score
Hey guys, havent used my HD500 in a long time but have recently been digging into it again. Although I sort of hit a road block when it comes to setting up footswitches for my patches.

It's great that multiple FX blocks (or "pedals") can be activated with one footswitch. I like to turn on a mid-focus eq and a stereo delay while also turning off one of my noise gates for some screaming leads. All this happens with one push of FS8, but then limits my ability to use those fx individually.

What if I want to use just the delay or just the eq for a certain section of a song? Well I can't, since they've both already been assigned to FS8.

Why can't a single FX block be controlled by multiple footswitches?:scream:

Is there a way I can solve this issue with an external midi controller maybe? or another way? thanks fellas.

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score
I've been working on some jazzy rhythm tones with my HD500, and I think you'll dig them. If you're into jazz. They're the kind of clean tones that are really warm but crisp if you pick gently, but then start to break up a little if you pick hard, leaning towards a fuzzy saturation.
It's pretty great actually. I'm impressed.

Rizzo

Reaction score
Is it possible to use a condenser mic in the 500's XLR input (with the +18 boost option activated eventually) or is the preamp too weak?

Reaction score
Is it possible to use a condenser mic in the 500's XLR input (with the +18 boost option activated eventually) or is the preamp too weak?

Most condensers need +48 volts also called Phantom Power. The HD500 mic input doesn't have this feature. You have to buy a microphone preamp that has Phantom Power and send it to the line input of the Pod.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
I need some help. My band is considering using a DAW on stage for clicktracks and backing tracks I thought, when we do I just as well might use the DAW to send MIDI commands to my Pod, so I don't need to operate the unit during songs.

I dove into the user manual, but it's very confusing to say the least. It lists commands, but it seems to be written as if they consider that you already know how to set it all up. So, could anyone point me to some easy explanation about how to set it up? I mean from start to finish, how to set up a MIDI command track in DAW to how to make commands for switching patches/banks etc.

Thanks!