Reaction score
I need some help. My band is considering using a DAW on stage for clicktracks and backing tracks I thought, when we do I just as well might use the DAW to send MIDI commands to my Pod, so I don't need to operate the unit during songs.

I dove into the user manual, but it's very confusing to say the least. It lists commands, but it seems to be written as if they consider that you already know how to set it all up. So, could anyone point me to some easy explanation about how to set it up? I mean from start to finish, how to set up a MIDI command track in DAW to how to make commands for switching patches/banks etc.

Thanks!

Are you going to have plenty of time and aid to connect and disconnect on stage? When I have a gig, I have to be time efficient when it comes to this, not to say at a festival! it's in and out. The things you say are definitely doable, but requires more time, cables, which also means more potential problems.

With my band we've used samples/recordings, but usually at the beginning of a song, as an intro, so hooking my cellphone into the mixer is less hassle than taking my laptop for instance. We've never used samples during a song because the drummer moves a lot and to be honest, not only you have to be quite good with tempo but also have an EXCELLENT way of monitoring the track/click/samples so it doesn't mess up on stage. I think that if you have a drummer that follows tempos like a swiss clock, people that know their job and help you pluggin and unpluggin stuff on stage and you're willing to have lotsa cable below your feel that you'll have to be careful of, then you can do it, though I don't know how, :evil:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
Are you going to have plenty of time and aid to connect and disconnect on stage? When I have a gig, I have to be time efficient when it comes to this, not to say at a festival! it's in and out. The things you say are definitely doable, but requires more time, cables, which also means more potential problems.

With my band we've used samples/recordings, but usually at the beginning of a song, as an intro, so hooking my cellphone into the mixer is less hassle than taking my laptop for instance. We've never used samples during a song because the drummer moves a lot and to be honest, not only you have to be quite good with tempo but also have an EXCELLENT way of monitoring the track/click/samples so it doesn't mess up on stage. I think that if you have a drummer that follows tempos like a swiss clock, people that know their job and help you pluggin and unpluggin stuff on stage and you're willing to have lotsa cable below your feel that you'll have to be careful of, then you can do it, though I don't know how, :evil:

It's not going to be a hassle; laptop can be booted before we need to build up. It's just an extra MIDI cable and our audio interface can easily be connected to the mixer. If there really isnt time, then we just dont use backing tracks, easy.

We won't mess up on stage, we've trained with clicktracks often, tempo changes and all (so no room for error).

But bottom line: I want to try it, so I need to figure out how first.

Reaction score
Our own RickyCigs of this board has been starting up his own line of effects pedals. Any of you guys remember Rick? He was an active contributor to this particular thread and did all those awesome tone matches on the POD HD500 for members on here?

Right now, he has an overdrive called the ProtoDrive that actually has been well received! A clean boost is currently in-the-making, and a bass overdrive is also coming soon!

Here is Rick's quick runthrough of info for the prototype of the ProtoDrive pedal:

One thing that I must mention is that the final version has a different layout/config than that of the prototype!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, here are some demos that I threw together for the pedal.
To save space in this thread, I'm just going to ask that you read the description of the videos, as opposed to me typing it all out or copy-and-pasting everything. The description of the videos contains all technical info and specs.

If you prefer Soundcloud as your medium, I'm also embedding Soundcloud audio clips below each YouTube video.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/lucas_procopio/airis-effects-protodrive-overdrive-pedal-demo[/SC]

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/lucas_procopio/airis-effects-protodrive-overdrive-pedal-demo-mid-gain-ambient-lead[/SC]

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/lucas_procopio/airis-effects-protodrive-overdrive-pedal-demo-modern-lead[/SC]

This might not give you pedal GAS, but if you're in the market for a super versatile overdrive that really can put your classic Ibanez Tubescreamer or Maxon OD808 to shame and actually has some serious tone to it behind its flexibility, then stay tuned to Rick for more! And stay tuned to me for more as well!

To make this relevant to the thread, I used my POD HD500 for all effects (clean, delay, reverb, etc.) Pretty much for everything except the overdrive and distortion on the rhythm and lead guitars in all the samples I attached.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Our own RickyCigs of this board has been starting up his own line of effects pedals. Any of you guys remember Rick? He was an active contributor to this particular thread and did all those awesome tone matches on the POD HD500 for members on here?

Where are the tone matches? I wouldn't mind checking those out.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Long ways back, man.
Just start searching the thread.

Alright then. Might take me awhile and you guys may not recognize me. I might end up looking like this by the time I'm done...

Gandalf600ppx.jpg

:lol:

EDIT: 500 posts in this thread by Ricky alone with 269 coming up with the term "patch"... lol, pass.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Alright then. Might take me awhile and you guys may not recognize me. I might end up looking like this by the time I'm done...

Gandalf600ppx.jpg

:lol:

EDIT: 500 posts in this thread by Ricky alone with 269 coming up with the term "patch"... lol, pass.

Did someone say my name? ;)

I'm not sure if line6 ever got their shit sorted out, but my patches were all posted on the customtone site. My username there is misterrick

And I never realized how much I actually posted in this thread.... As some of you may know though, I sold my pod and went back to analog. I can however assure you all that my ProtoDrive is FAR superior to any dirt pedal on the pod and pairs very nicely with digital gear. Feel free to check out Airis Effects on Facebook. Lots of fun new stuff in development!

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Did someone say my name? ;)

I'm not sure if line6 ever got their shit sorted out, but my patches were all posted on the customtone site. My username there is misterrick

And I never realized how much I actually posted in this thread.... As some of you may know though, I sold my pod and went back to analog. I can however assure you all that my ProtoDrive is FAR superior to any dirt pedal on the pod and pairs very nicely with digital gear. Feel free to check out Airis Effects on Facebook. Lots of fun new stuff in development!

Yeah, I did some Google Fu and found that; there was like 18 patches, of which I downloaded like 5 or 6.

SnoozyWyrm

Reaction score
Hey guys! Anyone used the Pod HD in conjunction with a DT series amp? Is it a notable improvement over playing the POD straight into a Wedge/Monitor?

I can snatch a mint dt50 combo for 500€ and since I use a Pod HD500x, I am currently thinking about it. Is the combo speaker usable or needs to be changed?

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I guess they work again. That must be why I stopped getting messages from people asking if I deleted my patches...

Yeah lol. I kinda wish there were more though, because the ones I downloaded were really good. The levels are a little off between them, so I turned a few up a little bit and they sounded better when I did so.

Know of any other users that have good tones? I'm filling up the 3rd User setlist with customtone patches, where as the 1st two setlists are my own personal patches.

Btw, it's interesting to me that a lot of the user presets on customtone use like 7 EQs and stuff, whereas I either don't use them at all, or might use 1-2 occasionally when it needs them.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah lol. I kinda wish there were more though, because the ones I downloaded were really good. The levels are a little off between them, so I turned a few up a little bit and they sounded better when I did so.

Know of any other users that have good tones? I'm filling up the 3rd User setlist with customtone patches, where as the 1st two setlists are my own personal patches.

Btw, it's interesting to me that a lot of the user presets on customtone use like 7 EQs and stuff, whereas I either don't use them at all, or might use 1-2 occasionally when it needs them.

Find meambobbo's website. He only posted his really old patches on customtone. He has a bunch of good ones on his site though. If you buy a pedal from me I'll find the link for you ;)

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Find meambobbo's website. He only posted his really old patches on customtone. He has a bunch of good ones on his site though. If you buy a pedal from me I'll find the link for you ;)

I found bobbo's guide a few days ago. I don't think everything he suggests is what I want, but the stuff I have taken advice from is very useful. I also have quite a few of his patches in a folder that I need to go through and load up in my HD500.

I wish he or someone else had a similar guide for the X3 Live, though I don't entirely need it as much because it's a lot easier to dial stuff in, but it would help a bit for dual tones, like what cab/mic combos go together well.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I wish he or someone else had a similar guide for the X3 Live, though I don't entirely need it as much because it's a lot easier to dial stuff in, but it would help a bit for dual tones, like what cab/mic combos go together well.

I could write a book about the pod xt/x3/podfarm, as I still use it for practice and have done for the past 3ish years. If theres anything you want to know, let me know.

I could just type up a quick starter thing if thats what you're looking for. (probably tomorrow though since I'm going to bed now)