Vigaren

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to hook up a POD HD through the power section of an amp? With the signal chain: guitar - POD HD - amp power section - cab?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to hook up a POD HD through the power section of an amp? With the signal chain: guitar - POD HD - amp power section - cab?

Run the output of the pod into the FX return (or poweramp-in, if your amp has one) of the amp.

Controls such as Resonance, Presence and Master should all still work on your amp.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
Just received my hd 500x, but am having a hell of a time getting it to sound right into a real amp.

I am running it to the loop return of a Peavey JSX. (check)

In the settings menu, I set it to "stack return" or whatnot (check)

I have turned off all the FX blocks except the amp. In the amp block I select "no cab", but IT STILL ALWAYS HAS OPTION FOR MIC SIMULATION ON. Even though the documentation SAYS that if you have stack selected in settings that it will remove the cab and mic sims, it does not. does not. There is not a "no mic" option and no matter what its set to, it muddies the tone.

How the &)(*^( do I turn off the mic sim??? I just want to run straight up into my amp and 4x12.

I have also tried both versions of amp and preamp...... Nothing. The mic sim is always on.

I have to give the interface a 3/10, but at least it sounds promising.

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
Just received my hd 500x, but am having a hell of a time getting it to sound right into a real amp.

I have turned off all the FX blocks except the amp. In the amp block I select "no cab", but IT STILL ALWAYS HAS OPTION FOR MIC SIMULATION ON. Even though the documentation SAYS that if you have stack selected in settings that it will remove the cab and mic sims, it does not. does not. There is not a "no mic" option and no matter what its set to, it muddies the tone.

How the &)(*^( do I turn off the mic sim??? I just want to run straight up into my amp and 4x12.

I have also tried both versions of amp and preamp...... Nothing. The mic sim is always on.

That's really weird... On my HD Desktop I don't think I have that issue... :scratch:

Maybe I'm just remembering wrong. I'm pretty sure that when I was messing around with cab sims, I had just the preamp set up, nothing else.

robski92

Reaction score

I have mine set up through a power amp and the mic sim is on, but I've never noticed that it made anything sound different. I've changed through all the different mics and it all sounded the same to me. Do you have it set to stack power amp or stack front?

Edit: I have also set it up the same way through my Peavey Ultra Plus (basically your amp) with the same results as with my power amp.

HOGANMW

Innovation Threat
Reaction score
I use my POD with Logidy Epsi. Cab is off but mic is always on. That's the way it is. There is a difference in tone when you change mic anyway. I hear it. Try to record couple of riffs with 57 ON XS and with 409 DYN.

Vigaren

Reaction score
Run the output of the pod into the FX return (or poweramp-in, if your amp has one) of the amp.

Controls such as Resonance, Presence and Master should all still work on your amp.

How do I set the amp settings? Both on on and standby right? and then I can only tweak on the amp using resonance, presence and master, not on the individual channels?

Reaction score

I don't know if they've changed the way they refer to outputs in HD500X, but whenever you set Combo Front/Pwr Amp and Stack Front/Pwr Amp, mic emulation IS disabled. If you change it you won't hear any difference in tone, although the small sound gap makes you think so.

As to being hard in getting a realistic amp tone, we've all been there. It's a complex tool and it requires time and patience. Try to go through Meambobbo's tone guide; there's a lot there that'll help you.

In my personal experience working with Combo and Stack amps, at first I used simple patches consisting in pedals and no amp/cab/mic emulation, because I was using an amp already. It sucked...and I only made use of the 2 heavy metal distortion pedals which aren't that good either. Then I started to use the Dual-rec amp emulation with cab emulation included, also as a simple patch with effect pedals and amp/cab emulation. Found it usable for some time, still limited.

After spending serious time reading Meambobbo's guide and learning what the hell they use here to make this board sound great, I found that the best way is to select an amp emulation, but disable Cab. At first it comes out with A LOT of fizz...but that's when other things come into the chain. As far as to high gain amps, which are way fizzy, and other amps as well, I found that the best way to get rid of fizz is to add the Mid-Focus EQ after the amp emulation. Set output to 7% (Or it'll blast your speakers), set HP Freq to 0%, and play with LP Freq and Q arounr 62 - 65%. By the way, if your using a high gain amp like the Dual Rec or Fireball, I suggest you don't get all the gain from the amp only, but set a Screamer before the amp and use it as a pre-gain pedal. Try to set the emulated amp to no more to 50% of gain.

I know it sounds hard, but it sounds great. By the way, I use the settings I mentioned before going through the Power Amp stage of my amps, so I leave out any coloration that the pre-amp of the amps can give, and make the HD500 be the one that defines most of the sound.

If you're asking when is Mic emulation on, the only moment where it's on is when Direct/Studio output is set.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
I don't know if they've changed the way they refer to outputs in HD500X, but whenever you set Combo Front/Pwr Amp and Stack Front/Pwr Amp, mic emulation IS disabled. If you change it you won't hear any difference in tone, although the small sound gap makes you think so.

As to being hard in getting a realistic amp tone, we've all been there. It's a complex tool and it requires time and patience. Try to go through Meambobbo's tone guide; there's a lot there that'll help you.

In my personal experience working with Combo and Stack amps, at first I used simple patches consisting in pedals and no amp/cab/mic emulation, because I was using an amp already. It sucked...and I only made use of the 2 heavy metal distortion pedals which aren't that good either. Then I started to use the Dual-rec amp emulation with cab emulation included, also as a simple patch with effect pedals and amp/cab emulation. Found it usable for some time, still limited.

After spending serious time reading Meambobbo's guide and learning what the hell they use here to make this board sound great, I found that the best way is to select an amp emulation, but disable Cab. At first it comes out with A LOT of fizz...but that's when other things come into the chain. As far as to high gain amps, which are way fizzy, and other amps as well, I found that the best way to get rid of fizz is to add the Mid-Focus EQ after the amp emulation. Set output to 7% (Or it'll blast your speakers), set HP Freq to 0%, and play with LP Freq and Q arounr 62 - 65%. By the way, if your using a high gain amp like the Dual Rec or Fireball, I suggest you don't get all the gain from the amp only, but set a Screamer before the amp and use it as a pre-gain pedal. Try to set the emulated amp to no more to 50% of gain.

I know it sounds hard, but it sounds great. By the way, I use the settings I mentioned before going through the Power Amp stage of my amps, so I leave out any coloration that the pre-amp of the amps can give, and make the HD500 be the one that defines most of the sound.

If you're asking when is Mic emulation on, the only moment where it's on is when Direct/Studio output is set.

I really appreciate this information. I have a JSX, an IRT60, and my most recent multi-effect has been a Fender Mustang Floor. I have tried various modellers over the past 15 years and the FMF is the first one I have really liked.

My impression of the HD500x is that it reminds me of the Johnson J-Station from many years ago. In its day it was considered the best modeller, but the problem was it had this one sound that no matter which "model" you were using, it was THAT sound. It had built-in pseudo compression, was mellowed around the edges and each different "model" was just different EQ.

I have gone through all the preamps played into my JSX return and they are all about the same with minor variations in EQ and range of gain. The tonal variation mostly comes from the cabs and the rest of the signal chain. The EQ controls have a "passive" feel in that they do not make significant changes.

What is unfortunate is that the HD500x applies a degree of compression and EQ to every preamp to give it a "cranked" sound (no fizz, no grainyness, no edge), so they don't sound like real preamps. This is just the preamp model, no sag, no bias, no hum applied. I originally thought this was because the mic model could not be disabled, but alas it is just a gap in sound when switching mics. Its not the mic model its just that every preamp has this built in compression.

With the FMF, the preamp models are like real preamps. At lower volume they can be grainy (if you don't have cab and mic sims on them), and you can dial out all the simulated compression. When played through a tube amp, they are very authentic in A/B comparison to real preamps. When you crank the tube amp, everything starts to sing like a real amp. I am guessing that the POD will sound muddy in comparison because there is no way to bypass the built in "sludge".

Dont get me wrong, it sounds good at practice volume, but honestly all the preamp models sound about the same when played into the loop of a tube amp.

My primary interest is in using the board as a noise gate and switcher for my amp heads, with ability to use other models for variation. The FMF doesn't have a noise gate block and has limited routing, but IMO sounds more authentic and has a MUCH MUCH better interface.

Unless this really shines doing the 4-cable method, I will probably return it for a GT100 or GSP1101 and keep the FMF for its models.

Thanks again. Not trying to be negative, and I'm sure the HD500x is perfect for many people, but its not what I'm looking for.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
How do I set the amp settings? Both on on and standby right? and then I can only tweak on the amp using resonance, presence and master, not on the individual channels?

The power and standby settings are poweramp controls, so just use the settings you will usually use to turn it on.

The eq and gain controls (all preamp 'channel' controls) won't work since you're bypassing the preamp. Since presence, resonance and master volume are all poweramp controls (or at least, they should be... some amps may label things 'presence' and 'resonance' when they're actually something else) they will still work.

The easiest way to think about it is to split the amplifier into three parts.

Preamp -> Poweramp -> Speaker cabinet.

The FX Loop is between the preamp and poweramp, so by inserting an alternative preamp into the FX Loop (in this case, the pod as the alternative preamp) you're bypassing everything before the poweramp.

Reaction score
I really appreciate this information. I have a JSX, an IRT60, and my most recent multi-effect has been a Fender Mustang Floor. I have tried various modellers over the past 15 years and the FMF is the first one I have really liked.

My impression of the HD500x is that it reminds me of the Johnson J-Station from many years ago. In its day it was considered the best modeller, but the problem was it had this one sound that no matter which "model" you were using, it was THAT sound. It had built-in pseudo compression, was mellowed around the edges and each different "model" was just different EQ.

I have gone through all the preamps played into my JSX return and they are all about the same with minor variations in EQ and range of gain. The tonal variation mostly comes from the cabs and the rest of the signal chain. The EQ controls have a "passive" feel in that they do not make significant changes.

What is unfortunate is that the HD500x applies a degree of compression and EQ to every preamp to give it a "cranked" sound (no fizz, no grainyness, no edge), so they don't sound like real preamps. This is just the preamp model, no sag, no bias, no hum applied. I originally thought this was because the mic model could not be disabled, but alas it is just a gap in sound when switching mics. Its not the mic model its just that every preamp has this built in compression.

With the FMF, the preamp models are like real preamps. At lower volume they can be grainy (if you don't have cab and mic sims on them), and you can dial out all the simulated compression. When played through a tube amp, they are very authentic in A/B comparison to real preamps. When you crank the tube amp, everything starts to sing like a real amp. I am guessing that the POD will sound muddy in comparison because there is no way to bypass the built in "sludge".

Dont get me wrong, it sounds good at practice volume, but honestly all the preamp models sound about the same when played into the loop of a tube amp.

My primary interest is in using the board as a noise gate and switcher for my amp heads, with ability to use other models for variation. The FMF doesn't have a noise gate block and has limited routing, but IMO sounds more authentic and has a MUCH MUCH better interface.

Unless this really shines doing the 4-cable method, I will probably return it for a GT100 or GSP1101 and keep the FMF for its models.

Thanks again. Not trying to be negative, and I'm sure the HD500x is perfect for many people, but its not what I'm looking for.

Just an idea, have you tried full amp models into the power amp of your amp? I have transistor amps and I know it's different, but I've found full models work well. If you're using the power amp stage of your amp, don't forget to set the 1/4" output switch to "Line" (Sends a preamped signal).

GoldDragon

Reaction score
Just an idea, have you tried full amp models into the power amp of your amp? I have transistor amps and I know it's different, but I've found full models work well. If you're using the power amp stage of your amp, don't forget to set the 1/4" output switch to "Line" (Sends a preamped signal).

I tried it every way. It all sounds good, but I was looking for more raw preamp tone, something with more edge. I think the pod is foremost a direct recording device and the GT100 which I am waiting for is more of a live FX box with amp switching. Already sent back the POD.

I'll just keep the FMF for recording direct. I liked the POD but there was too much overlap with the Fender Mustang- has similar strengths and weaknesses.

eastguitar

Reaction score
That sounds awesome! I saw some of your demos a couple years ago, they helped convince me to get my HD Pro. :hbang:

Thank you very much for your comment !! I am convinced that Line6 HD Pro is a great preamp and MultiFX. I want to start testing in a time more IR's, I've heard some incredible results.

Greetings!

jamesfarrell

Use to Djent
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a Pod HD Pro X coming.
As well I have a Rocktron Velocity 300 coming and I have a Recto 2x12 with V30's in it.

Is there any sort of cheat sheet to how to get a good sound out of this equipment. I had a pod years back, but I'm sort of starting from scratch again with this modeling game.

I also have 6 of the line6 speakers. I have 2 L3T's and 1 L3M and 2 L2T's

I'm wondering which route is going to sound better. I'm kind of wondering if I should have passed on the Power amp > Cab route.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
I think if you are using full range speakers, you might get better result with a clean PA amplifier like Crown, Carvin, etc...

I think the velocity is designed to sag and sound like a tube amp. Also, more watts equals more headroom. If your speakers are 500watts total, I would look at 1000Watts of solid state power.

jamesfarrell

Use to Djent
Reaction score
This is what I'll be using.

Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Speaker Cabinet Features:

120 Watt
V30 Speakers
Closed Back
8 Ohm

I don't know much about this stuff, been out of the loop for a while, but I use a lot of baritone guitars. I'm wondering if Swamp thangs would sound better than V30's as I have 2 lying around.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
The velocity 300 should work well with the 2x12 w/ v30s.

I think v30s will be just fine.