straymond

Reaction score
a quick Q, guys :)
I've been using podfarm with my UX2 for a while.
now, I've tweaked in a cool tone on my HD500.
can i somehow use this through my UX2 then into my daw, without letting the tone get colored by the UX2?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
a quick Q, guys :)
I've been using podfarm with my UX2 for a while.
now, I've tweaked in a cool tone on my HD500.
can i somehow use this through my UX2 then into my daw, without letting the tone get colored by the UX2?

Unless I'm missing something, why not just unplug the ux2 and plug in the HD500?

straymond

Reaction score
Unless I'm missing something, why not just unplug the ux2 and plug in the HD500?

the thing is, that the UX2 functions as my soundcard, plus it has the two outputs that go directly to my monitors.
I was hoping there was a way that I could bypass the podfarm-portion of the signalchain and use the HD500 as my main sound-source :)

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
the thing is, that the UX2 functions as my soundcard, plus it has the two outputs that go directly to my monitors.
I was hoping there was a way that I could bypass the podfarm-portion of the signalchain and use the HD500 as my main sound-source :)

I suppose you use the UX2 as a soundcard so that you can listen even non-music projects through your monitors. I believe that by using the 3-4 outs in the podfarm (as if you'd set them up for feeding DI tracks in your DAW, just with matched outputs to avoid clipping since you'll introduce a hotter signal from the HD500 to the UX2) you can have a relatively uncoloured signal. I'm not too sure about how you must match bitrates, sampling frequencies and buffers though.

Personally I'd grab a pair of longer cables if you need to and attach them to your HD500 when you wish to use it. It has both balanced and unbalanced outputs.

If you think that's a hassle, then at least grab a focusrite or something of that league that's a bit more recent and is verified to work with modelers. Still don't know if further matching is required though.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score

I'm not familiar with the outputs on the HD500, but can't it operate the exact same way?

Nevertheless, if you prefer to just use the UX2, run an output from the HD500 into an input on the UX2, then in the PodFarm program, go to the 'Mixer' and set the 'Recording Send' to 'Dry Input.' In theory you shouldn't get any coloration from the UX2 that way. Thats how I've recorded DI's in the past and it sounds fine.

There may be a slight sound degradation from converting digital to analog back to digital, but I guess you'll have to try it to see if it makes any audible difference.

edit-beat by Deadnightshade, I left the window open too long before replying, haha

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
My band's busy working on an E.P, here's a short section of one of our tracks, it's a bit of a mixtest for the interim so any feedback on it would be appreciated.

POD HD500 being used for guitar and bass here. :)

(Sorry for the double posting)

Vigaren

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm going to have my first gig with only the POD HD. There are a lot of outputs on the rear, balanced/unbalanced and line. Which one works the best? I'm going direct to FOH

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm going to have my first gig with only the POD HD. There are a lot of outputs on the rear, balanced/unbalanced and line. Which one works the best? I'm going direct to FOH

First, try to tweak your tone with something similar to the sounds you'll have at the venue. Don't think that because it sounds great through your amp or studio monitors it'll sound good at the venue.

If the main mixer is going to be far from the stage, use the XLR balanced outputs. There's no difference in quality, except balanced cables work better in long distances and avoid noises and interference. That's about it. If you end up using the 1/4" outputs, check that 1/4" output switch is set to "Amp". When it's set to "Line", it'll come out preamped, and probably peak as hell when it comes into the mixer's preamp. Finally, beware of levels from the stage monitor. As you won't be using an amp, you'll entirely rely on the front stage monitor, so if you're using high gain patches, let the sound man know you don't want high volume monitoring or you'll enter in Feedback Heaven.

chopshop777

Reaction score
such a great unit, I am probably gonna get into trouble for this, but to me the PODHD500X sounds even better than the Axe Fx, I used to have the Ultra and to be honest I was not impressed, you can probably sit there and tweak for hours and get a good sound but the the 500x you can pretty much get a great sound right off the bat, I now have the Kemper (and that is completely different story all together :) and use the podhd500x for the midi foot controller with it, couldn't be happier.

PodHdBean

Reaction score
in the right hands the pod hd sounds pretty damn epic! time consuming but worth it!
such a great unit, I am probably gonna get into trouble for this, but to me the PODHD500X sounds even better than the Axe Fx, I used to have the Ultra and to be honest I was not impressed, you can probably sit there and tweak for hours and get a good sound but the the 500x you can pretty much get a great sound right off the bat, I now have the Kemper (and that is completely different story all together :) and use the podhd500x for the midi foot controller with it, couldn't be happier.

PodHdBean

Reaction score
Dude you need to make that bass more raunchy sounding sounds a bit to dry .Sounds good but doesn't mix into the guitars too much.IMO
My band's busy working on an E.P, here's a short section of one of our tracks, it's a bit of a mixtest for the interim so any feedback on it would be appreciated.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
Dude you need to make that bass more raunchy sounding sounds a bit to dry .Sounds good but doesn't mix into the guitars too much.IMO

Thanks man, the bass is actually just the eternal headache of this whole thing, been trying to get it to sound more aggressive but we just don't seem to be winning.

We're currently doing the 3 tracks off a single DI with the clean DI + Mid Gain + Top Gain thing, and I think it's the top gain that's the weak point, but actually getting a high gainy sound that isn't just fizz is proving difficult.

I also think to a large degree we need to create more headroom, perhaps ease off the mastering compressors slightly and perhaps get a little more liberal with the use of reverb.

Thanks for giving it a listen though :)

PodHdBean

Reaction score
EZMIX 2 has some good bass presets and amplitube also.Even pedal sounds pretty good.I know the feeling bass tone took me a while to get
Thanks man, the bass is actually just the eternal headache of this whole thing, been trying to get it to sound more aggressive but we just don't seem to be winning.

We're currently doing the 3 tracks off a single DI with the clean DI + Mid Gain + Top Gain thing, and I think it's the top gain that's the weak point, but actually getting a high gainy sound that isn't just fizz is proving difficult.

I also think to a large degree we need to create more headroom, perhaps ease off the mastering compressors slightly and perhaps get a little more liberal with the use of reverb.

Thanks for giving it a listen though :)

fps

Kit
Reaction score

I'd go the other way to other posters and say the bass tone is cool but the guitars are a bit gainy. Either way, it feels like one of them, the bass, is quite intimate and close, and the guitars a little further away, your call how to deal with that, I like the bass and drums' crispness! Cool stuff :)

schwiz

Lefty
Reaction score
It looks like this question was asked at some point, but not answered so I'll give it a try.

Signal chain: Guitar -> POD HD PRO -> Studio Monitors. The POD is hooked up via USB. I'm using Cubase 5.

When I load Cubase, I want to use the POD as a VST in a sense. I want the tracks that are recorded to have 0 tone or amps applied to it. Just the raw sound. I then want to be able to pick and choose which tones to apply to the clean tracks. How do I make this possible?

Currently, if my POD is on, it's playing the tone that is selected, and I'm forced to record with this tone. I then cannot go back and change the amp after the track is recorded.

I came from using Guitar Rig which has a VST that I can load into Cubase, and gives me the ability to load different tones or presets to any recorded track.

Any thoughts on this? Just trying to allow my tracks to be dynamic so I can mess with the tone after the recording. Any help or insight would be much appreciated. Thanks much.

SeditiousDissent

i drove bus
Reaction score
I don't think there's a way to get around that. You should try installing POD farm. I think there's an option to run it as a VST, but I could be confusing it with something else. If so, just load up a blank patch on the POD HD and just use it as an interface, more or less. You're not going to be able to get your exact HD PRO tones, but you can come pretty close. Besides, when it's mixed, it won't matter.