Ericjutsu

Reaction score
so you have to really boost the volume on the tracks when you record? How low in volume are your guitar tracks after recording with the Pod Hd and Logidy? I guess it's not that big of a deal. I can just turn up the gain on my Saffire Pro 40. But It'll of course add some noise. How do you get your cab IRs on your computer on to the Logidy? Do you need an SD card reader for your computer to do this? I don't see any other way...Not that they are expensive to buy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

daedae

Reaction score
I'm betting Line 6 knows how much people want it, but just don't care.

Honestly, when's the last time the HD got a major update? It's like they don't really care about the HD anymore.

Since Yamaha acquired Line 6, there has been one rep on the forum commenting on/posting feature threads. Naturally, they are cagey about whether the feedback is being considered for updates to the current HD line or is just market research for the next hardware, although there was a comment that there's still plenty of life in the current generation of hardware.

With respect to impulses, they posted and asked how big a deal it was (and somebody here directed people to go talk it up on that thread), but then seemed underwhelmed by the number of responses. Otherwise, the claim was that the HD's cabs are IR-based, but that they do a lot of tweaking to compress the IRs and make them sound as good as possible, while implying that if they gave us a WAV->POD IR converter that just truncated the IRs to a size the HD can handle, we would all hate it.

(Look around on the L6 forum for posts by digital_igloo if you want to see specific comments.)

Edit: link: http://line6.com/support/topic/7130-any-plans-for-custom-ir-functionality/page-2

HOGANMW

Innovation Threat
Reaction score
so you have to really boost the volume on the tracks when you record?
Always I normalize guitar tracks. Before I bought Epsi I was doing it as well. Every DAW has that possibility

How low in volume are your guitar tracks after recording with the Pod Hd and Logidy?
Low enough to hear the difference. You will see level of waveform

I can just turn up the gain on my Saffire Pro 40. But It'll of course add some noise.
Do not turn up the gain on your recording interface. Higher harware's gain could add a lot more noise than normalization in your DAW.
But do not worry because noise is a lot lower than any of tube amps.
I do not use noise gates but if you use one then you will not hear anything.
For example Bogner Uberschall amp model doesn't have almost any noise.
Mesa amp model has just a little bit more so that depends on which amp you choose as well. But that is not a problem I think.

I tweaked my ECC82 booster a little bit and got a lot better tone but did not record any new samples yet.

Old shit here:
I hear wide dynamic range and very little noise when I stop playing :

https://soundcloud.com/gehinnom-1/pod-hd500-ecc82-boolter-logidy-epli-ltudio

https://soundcloud.com/gehinnom-1/pod-hd500-ecc82-boolter-logidy-epli

How do you get your cab IRs on your computer on to the Logidy?
Card reader... ...cost me 4 pounds :)

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
Ok, just a 'sneak peek' of my new patch I'm working on. 2 guitars only, completely raw unedited example.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/dinko-infeqtor-lipova-a/modern-patchhd500[/SC]

HD500
DiMarzio X2N pickup

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
Man, you have to be a real man to use an X2N with the HD500 and avoid clipping, hahah
:shred:

Yeah, I have to switch to PAD and Variax (input 2) very often to avoid it. This is such a nasty sounding pickup :noplease: Been using Variax for 90% of my patches in fact and still struggling to gain some control as it acts like an active pickup :realmad:

Reaction score
Yeah, I have to switch to PAD and Variax (input 2) very often to avoid it. This is such a nasty sounding pickup :noplease: Been using Variax for 90% of my patches in fact and still struggling to gain some control as it acts like an active pickup :realmad:

Yeah, it was my first pickup swap and I thought that having the highest gain possible was the best thing. That pickup is an improvement compared to stock pickups, but using distortion with that one is like riding a rodeo horse...I sold in a couple of months and bought D-Activators and D-Sonics for my 6 and 7 string. Can't be happier.

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
Yeah, it was my first pickup swap and I thought that having the highest gain possible was the best thing. That pickup is an improvement compared to stock pickups, but using distortion with that one is like riding a rodeo horse...I sold in a couple of months and bought D-Activators and D-Sonics for my 6 and 7 string. Can't be happier.

That was exactly what I thought! Haven't try D-Activators but I'll surely give it a try.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
See comments in bold below:
Hey guys I'm really considering getting a Line 6 POD HD500x but have some seriously noob questions. First, how does using it to record guitars create patches work? Can i assign them to certain footswitches to use live? (both these things are described in the manual) How does the whole poweramp thing work? Just plug PODHD-power amp-cab?(yes) Does it light up for dark stages?(yes) Also on poweramps, what do you guys think about solid state ones?(I have a Matrix GT800FX, which is a super nice solid state rack power amp. There are plenty other options, amp heads with an fx loop for instance. Through the fx loop you plug right into the power amp of it) I have a 1x12 Orange cab, is there stuff out there that will work for me? (if you are going to perform, I recommend upgrading to at least a 2x12) Thanks in advance. I'm still learning about gear and a lot of searches dont give me straight answers.

I searched, but my search-fu is weak today....
In reference to the above/live, i've seen videos doing both..... output mode when going through PA (my case Art SLA-2) and leaving pre-amp on vs. leaving cab modelling on + output setting (cab/direct/whatever)?? How best to do that or follow "tradition" and do whatever sounds best?

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
yeah the X2n pickup is so ridiculous. I have it in my baritone schecter scorpion elite guitar and it's sooo hot. I have to have the pad activated on my saffire pro 40 to avoid clipping. I too have problems with clipping the pod. I have to put the second source on variax. Sometimes I just activate the pad switch on the pod.

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
Right, variax as input 2 ensures much clearer tone. You have to be very careful with this pup, but man I like how it slays :)

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
I searched, but my search-fu is weak today....
In reference to the above/live, i've seen videos doing both..... output mode when going through PA (my case Art SLA-2) and leaving pre-amp on vs. leaving cab modelling on + output setting (cab/direct/whatever)?? How best to do that or follow "tradition" and do whatever sounds best?

My general experience is that running a cab sim over real cabs just sounds off, it messes with your EQ. If you then also run it on studio/match output mode, more odd EQ effects will be heard. So when using a power amp, just keep it to pre-amp only (not to be confused with the pre-amp models, which sound thin, I mean no cabs running) and the appropriate output mode to keep it sounding 'real'. Think about it; why similate a cab when you are already running through a cab? It's a whole different game when running through a power amp to FRFR cabs though.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
I ended up setting it to stack. That disables the cab/mic modeling, right?

I als had to crank the pod master almost all the way up to register a signal on the poweramp...is that normal?

Reaction score
I ended up setting it to stack. That disables the cab/mic modeling, right?

I als had to crank the pod master almost all the way up to register a signal on the poweramp...is that normal?

When you set up stack or combo outputs you only disable mic modeling. To disable cab as well (Which I recommend, because signal is already coming out from a cab) you have to choose "No Cab" from the amp options. Mic modeling enables when you select Direct/Studio output.

If you're plugging the pod to the power amp in of your amp, you have to switch your 1/4" output to "Line" and the pod will send the signal pre-amped. If you're still hearing a low signal, either the mixer's volume or the amp model's volume is low.

TaP

Genin
Reaction score
Ay I have a PodHD500x, what do I do to have good live sound? I don't have any pedals so that device IS my pedals.

Just do the same as my stu and grab monitors but way bigger ones? Or do you guys have head and cab suggestions? And how do they work with the multi-FX processor? I'm nub sry.

Centrix

Reaction score
Hey guys! Now with college unfortunately I have less time to practice but I love using my POD when I come home.

Anyone got some Power Metal patches laying around? Been trying to find that specific tone but it's been hard. Something in the lines of DragonForce, Epica, Within Temptation...

Thanks and keep on rocking!

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
When you set up stack or combo outputs you only disable mic modeling. To disable cab as well (Which I recommend, because signal is already coming out from a cab) you have to choose "No Cab" from the amp options. Mic modeling enables when you select Direct/Studio output.

If you're plugging the pod to the power amp in of your amp, you have to switch your 1/4" output to "Line" and the pod will send the signal pre-amped. If you're still hearing a low signal, either the mixer's volume or the amp model's volume is low.

Gotcha. Dunno why I thought cabs were disabled when doing this too.

Anyone ever have the issue going through PAs that you really don't get a signal until cranking the master on the PodHD up? I had to crank my master to register signal on the SLA-2 when I was using it last week.

Reaction score
Hello All!

So an age old issue that has probably been discussed a few times has just arrived at my door step. I've searched the forum and haven't really found my concerns addressed so I thought I'd give the mad geniuses here a shot.

I'm attempting to ReAmp with my HD PRO.
I have:
4 D/I recordings (four guitar tracks - two guitars)

My goal is to have all of them sit in the mix nicely, fat, chunky and get that aggressively palm muted sound with low gain and high mids < HA! you got it. :agreed:

Here's my setup when attempting to ReAmp

Guitar Cable>Right Out (R/Mono) looped Right (R/Mono)in Guitar Cable.
Essentially this is "the ForTiorI way", which ideally the sound coming from monitor R/Mono shoud go back through the HD PRO feeding the dry signal back through the effects unit and record a distorted sound.
(When I hard pan it doesn't record it correctly, so I skipped ForTiorI's step here <maybe*?).

My DAW is set to the ASIO HD PRO driver setting.
I have Hardware Monitoring off, so there is no dirty sound, no dirty signal, no feedback>
I have Mono Recording set

So what's the problem? I have this weird, choppy as if extremely gated, and/or compressed guitar tone coming through once I'm done recording. It's wildly different than the actual tone I'm hearing coming through. It sounds like either the DI signal is bad(which I've heard it and it sounds both beautifully and painfully clear), or the connection/reamping process is totally wrong. I cannot afford a DI Box atm, which from what I understand I don't need one anyway. Am I doing the D/I process wrong? Am I connecting thigns wrong? :wallbash:

So can A) someone advise me on how to properly set up HD PRO reamping from the D/I track stage, or
B) tell me what I'm doing wrong. :noplease: As far as everything is concerned, mixing, drumming and bass wise - mixes are coming along tight, it's this guitar tone that's just unfair across the board. Please help! Thanks everyone.

Cited:
POD HD PRO - reamping - YouTube
I believe I did this method correctly, please tell me if I did not, based on my description. Or dumb it down for me, I ate wall chips as a kid.