PodHdBean

Reaction score
DO IT i had to choose between the hd400 and the hd bean you end up spending more for the bean+foot switch but honestly i love this thing besides some little problems like no midi or no 1/4 inch 2nd input its just a mic input so you gotta convert the 1/4 to xlr to use..all in all though its great and i dont want my pod hd on the floor u know?so the hd500 was out of the question but if you can find a cheap one used for the price of the bean get it!:hbang:
Doesn't have input impedance control either :lol: And the screamer alone doesn't benefit me more than the parametric EQ the way I pick.I'm just waiting for a local sale to get rid of my HD300 and get hold of the desktop HD :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
DO IT i had to choose between the hd400 and the hd bean you end up spending more for the bean+foot switch but honestly i love this thing besides some little problems like no midi or no 1/4 inch 2nd input its just a mic input so you gotta convert the 1/4 to xlr to use..all in all though its great and i dont want my pod hd on the floor u know?so the hd500 was out of the question but if you can find a cheap one used for the price of the bean get it!:hbang:

my hd500 has never left the table ;) just because its a floorboard doesnt mean it has to stay there lol. now when the time comes that i need to use a wah when recording, then i'll have to suck it up and set it down....

Zei

Reaction score
Just got an HD500 the other day! Stoked to all hell. I've got my basic playing tones set up, but they all sound real tinny and thin (still good, but they have no balls to 'em, if you know what I mean?). How can I go about adding some boom to my playing to make it less tinny?

This is how my rhythm tone is set-up (going for a kind of djenty StS sound... but I'm in standard on a 6. It sounds good in lower tunings, but a lot of songs I write are in standard recently):

Noisegate -> Compressor -> Treadplate Pre (4x12 Tread V-30) and Bomber Uber Pre (4x12 Uber) -> Parametric EQ -> Graphic EQ

I have the Graphic and Parametric cutting out the lows a bit cause it's too bassy with just one.

PodHdBean

Reaction score
:hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang:lol yeah i know what u mean a month after i bought mine i saw a hd500 used for 370 at g.c sucks= / lol cus i wanna use the whammy! and the looper haha:wavey:
my hd500 has never left the table ;) just because its a floorboard doesnt mean it has to stay there lol. now when the time comes that i need to use a wah when recording, then i'll have to suck it up and set it down....

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Just got an HD500 the other day! Stoked to all hell. I've got my basic playing tones set up, but they all sound real tinny and thin (still good, but they have no balls to 'em, if you know what I mean?). How can I go about adding some boom to my playing to make it less tinny?

This is how my rhythm tone is set-up (going for a kind of djenty StS sound... but I'm in standard on a 6. It sounds good in lower tunings, but a lot of songs I write are in standard recently):

Noisegate -> Compressor -> Treadplate Pre (4x12 Tread V-30) and Bomber Uber Pre (4x12 Uber) -> Parametric EQ -> Graphic EQ

I have the Graphic and Parametric cutting out the lows a bit cause it's too bassy with just one.

Try red comp> hard gate> screamer> hard gate> amp

The compressor at the start helps for making sure the gate always opens when you want it to.

Or, you could download one of my patches and tweak from there. I've been told numerous times how ballsy my tone is lol

Here's my tread plate patch http://line6.com/customtone/tone/219994/

And here's my fireball patch just for the hell of it.
http://line6.com/customtone/tone/219992/

OR, you could just ignore me altogether and try your own thing lol

meambobbo

Reaction score
hey zei, let me give you some advice.

first, you may enjoy my guide:
MeAmBobbo PodHD Tone Guide - Contents

Which compressor are you using? I found the Tube Comp to be the most transparent. Some of the others work well, but they can also thin out the tone. I'd stick with Tube Comp.

The Noise Gate will suck some tone and can make the tone thinner. Use the Hard Gate instead if you're not already.

I tend to prefer the "full" versions of the amps, at least for direct tones (to PA/DAW/headphones). They have a lot more punch EQ'ed in and seem to have more bite too. The "pre"s by comparison sound too thin to me. If you want the clarity of the "pre"s when using the "full"s just back off of the Master amp DEP until you find the sweet spot.

I do not like to mix amps as dual tones. The thought is Awesome amp A + awesome amp B = Awesome amp C. It's not true. More than likely it will sound more like they're fighting each other, turning your tone to mush. There can also be some comb filtering occurring. I do not recommend using dual amps.

The Treadplate tends to have a lot of bass. While this is balanced out when using the Treadplate cab, it still leaves something to be desired. I find I usually have to use a Parametric EQ to suck out that low-end drone. For this reason, I tend not to use the Treadplate amp very often. When I do, I usually have a Screamer or something in front to filter out some low-end. It's difficult to get a killer tone from it in a standard-tuned guitar.

The Uber is quite muddy without any pre-EQ. I like to use a Mid-Focus EQ in front with HP freq 25%, LP freq 85, and both Q's around 0%. The gain parameter just sets the output level, not controlling how much EQ'ing is occurring. Just balance that with the Drive on the amp.

The Treadplate cab is very bright and louder than the other cabs. Its presence and treble is very well defined, but it has basically no low-end. By itself I find it near unusable for this reason. I have to pair it with the SM57 off axis mic, but then you lose some definition in the high end. I prefer to use the Hiway 4x12.

The Uber cab is kind of in no man's land. I think it has a good frequency response, but it doesn't cut through. I prefer the Hiway.

What I more often do than try to cater to the issues with any single cab is to set up my patches to use dual cabs - this means using dual amps, but using the same amps with relatively the same settings. I just change the cabs. I'll pair a Treadplate, Greenbacks, or Hiway cab in channel A with the XXL V-30 cab in channel B. Thus, I get the nice mids and highs from channel a and the punch and warmth from channel b. much more details on this in the guide.

Also, the Cab DEP's can really adjust the sound. I find turning down Res. Level a bit can make the tone a bit clearer, whereas turning up Decay will thicken it up. Thump can go either way depending on how much bass you need. I leave low cut alone bc I use a Mid-Focus EQ to roll-off my lows.

I like to use a Mid-Focus EQ at the end of my patches to roll-off some highs and lows - it really lets you get where you want. See my guide for exactly how it works.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
i didnt even notice that he posted that he was using the "pre" models. theres 99% of the problem right there lol

also, im pretty interested in the solo-100 overdrive. could be some very usable tones with that sucker! line 6 better hurry the hell up and give us high end users them!! not interested in the doom or epic at all from what i heard in that demo.

PodHdBean

Reaction score
i hope this guy just didnt e.q the epic amp because it doesnt sound very epic haha just epic muddy

solo overdrive sounds like it can get pretty djent when we get the update =p WE NEED MORE CABS!!!:scream:
btw - someone posted this in the line 6 forum:

new amp models in 300/400.

Shask

Reaction score
i hope this guy just didnt e.q the epic amp because it doesnt sound very epic haha just epic muddy

solo overdrive sounds like it can get pretty djent when we get the update =p WE NEED MORE CABS!!!:scream:

Yeah, that Epic sounds horrible. I was hoping for like a HD version of Big Bottom or Insane...

DMONSTER

SS.org Dweller
Reaction score
Had a question regarding if this was possible, would i be able to run the preamp send of my 5150iii to my pod hd bean and then into my computer and then be able to record that way? Or do i run the risk of messing something up?

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
Had a question regarding if this was possible, would i be able to run the preamp send of my 5150iii to my pod hd bean and then into my computer and then be able to record that way? Or do i run the risk of messing something up?
You could definitely do that.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score

Along as your using some sort of IR on your computer, then it won't sound like ass. You can't use just the power amp or can features on the pod. Only if your using an amp model.

I've used my 6505+ in the past to direct record like that before I had a decent cab or mics. Fairly good results.

Zei

Reaction score
hey zei, let me give you some advice.

first, you may enjoy my guide:
MeAmBobbo PodHD Tone Guide - Contents

Thanks for all the tips man! Really appreciate it (from everyone that said something).

I have a question about hooking up the POD. I've got my guitar into Guitar In and I usually had it hooked up to my amp via the 1/4" OUT and to my laptop with USB. I have no studio monitors or anything and would like to play through my amp. Is this a viable way? I looked at your guide and it says to go Guitar -> Pod -> Amp FX Send -> POD FX Return. My amp has neither of those last two (I'm using a Line 6 Valve MkII 212 and I have all the tone options completely flat at 0).

I also want to use my POD for live situations, so i don't know if that'll effect anything.

EDIT: I read a bit more nad got the 4cm working for me right now, but I'm not quite sure on the benefits and how they apply to me personally... this whole thing is gonna take awhile haha

EDIT 2: I'm trying to completely bypass my amps pre-amp and just use the amp modeling from the HD500. I thought the 4cm was to allow me to do that since it let's me tap into my amps FX Loop and the HD500's at the same time? Or is it just not possible to do that? I'm basically just trying to use my amp as a giant speaker that let's me play through it.

PodHdBean

Reaction score
plug your out put of the pod into your fx return that should bypass your preamp e.q and everything just make sure you put the master on the pod all the way down because some amps disable the volume on the channels when you do this.thats all i can really answer sorry lol :shred:
Thanks for all the tips man! Really appreciate it (from everyone that said something).

I have a question about hooking up the POD. I've got my guitar into Guitar In and I usually had it hooked up to my amp via the 1/4" OUT and to my laptop with USB. I have no studio monitors or anything and would like to play through my amp. Is this a viable way? I looked at your guide and it says to go Guitar -> Pod -> Amp FX Send -> POD FX Return. My amp has neither of those last two (I'm using a Line 6 Valve MkII 212 and I have all the tone options completely flat at 0).

I also want to use my POD for live situations, so i don't know if that'll effect anything.

EDIT: I read a bit more nad got the 4cm working for me right now, but I'm not quite sure on the benefits and how they apply to me personally... this whole thing is gonna take awhile haha

EDIT 2: I'm trying to completely bypass my amps pre-amp and just use the amp modeling from the HD500. I thought the 4cm was to allow me to do that since it let's me tap into my amps FX Loop and the HD500's at the same time? Or is it just not possible to do that? I'm basically just trying to use my amp as a giant speaker that let's me play through it.

Zei

Reaction score
plug your out put of the pod into your fx return that should bypass your preamp e.q and everything just make sure you put the master on the pod all the way down because some amps disable the volume on the channels when you do this.thats all i can really answer sorry lol :shred:

Thanks man, I think you're right. I have it like that and it should be what I want.

Finally starting to somewhat understand this thing... still reading through the guide though :lol:

dmarceo316

Reaction score
Just recently got an HD Pro. I downloaded pro edit to my laptop the same day i got it and tried playing my guitar through it, but there was no noise coming out? Does anyone know what the problem can be? I'm sorry if its a dumb questions im very new to this.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
This may also be a dumb question but

The leads tones I have that I like tend to not mix well with the rhythm guitars pre-production.
and since I don't have the magic touch of a hardcore producer,

it worries me because all of the rhythm tones I dial in sit nicely in the mix almost entirely on their own, and I don't really know how things 'should' sound pre-production.