Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
I bet some eq is a must even for live playing and practice? Recording is another story (Hi and lo-cut for a starter). Same for OD? Could I get good tone using just one of them? Lets say only OD? I know they are both necessary in pod farm+impulses.

Is the rest of my presets idea possible?

Personally I prefer using the parametric EQ (consists of a low shelf,a high shelf,and a parametric band),while others may use a screamer,and I use a stacked wah for extra equalization.

You can't use two gates in HD300.

If you want to see exactly what it can and what it can't do,download the HD300 edit software from the line 6 site and check out if the limitations are bearable for you.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PodHdBean

Reaction score
i think it sounds on par with the axe Fx standard for a "modern" sound
and if not with external impulses it definitely does! :shred:
How does the HD Pro relate to the Axe-FX Standard? I'm tight on money, so I'm wondering if I'm sacrificing too much if I sell the Standard and buy the HD Pro.

Shask

Reaction score
How does the HD Pro relate to the Axe-FX Standard? I'm tight on money, so I'm wondering if I'm sacrificing too much if I sell the Standard and buy the HD Pro.
I have had a HD500 for a few years and recently got an Axe-FX Standard.

The thing that I immediately noticed was that the AF had more clarity, and a much cleaner, quicker attack. The POD kind of tends to blur the notes together much more.

The Effects on the AF are much cleaner and makes the sound bigger. The effects on the POD are more analog pedal like.

That being said, the POD can still make some awesome sounds. I decided to keep my HD500 to use it as a MIDI controller, but I also have it looped through the AF effects loop, so I am always dialing them back and forth...

PodHdBean

Reaction score
someone should upload some uber patches
maybe im doing stuff on this amp all wrong?
the electrik i dig!

polarbeast666

Reaction score
how exactly would I go about using my pod hd500 to go direct to the FOH live? Any certain type of cable I would need or anything?

Also, to use my pod hd500 to model amps and get some djent tones ect ect, what is this I hear about using my 6505's pre amp and also the pod having some sort of pre amp? On the back of my 6505+ next to the effects loop there is a input called pre amp, what is that for? Also I dont really understand the point of the 4 cable method for the pod hd500...idk this is all very confusing

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
for FOH, simply take the lead/mic that the engineer would put in front of the cab, remove the mic, and then put the lead into your XLR output. It's as simple as that (make sure you are in studio/p.a direct mode)

A typical amp is made of two components, the preamp (the 'noise') and the poweramp (makes it loud)

You can bypass your amps preamp, usey our line 6 as a preamp and have the 5150 poweramp power it. I do this all the time with backlines if I can't bring my own monitor or poweramp.

Each amp on the HD500 has a 'pre' version as well, this is the preamp by itself, so you can use it with a poweramp of your choice.

You can get even more fandangled by doing the four cable method so you can select your line 6 preamp or amp preamp at any time in your patches. I don't bother with this as I find the HD500 itself does everything I need and the ease of use/setup far outweighs any tonality I would achieve by bothering with the 4CM.

polarbeast666

Reaction score
for FOH, simply take the lead/mic that the engineer would put in front of the cab, remove the mic, and then put the lead into your XLR output. It's as simple as that (make sure you are in studio/p.a direct mode)

A typical amp is made of two components, the preamp (the 'noise') and the poweramp (makes it loud)

You can bypass your amps preamp, usey our line 6 as a preamp and have the 5150 poweramp power it. I do this all the time with backlines if I can't bring my own monitor or poweramp.

Each amp on the HD500 has a 'pre' version as well, this is the preamp by itself, so you can use it with a poweramp of your choice.

You can get even more fandangled by doing the four cable method so you can select your line 6 preamp or amp preamp at any time in your patches. I don't bother with this as I find the HD500 itself does everything I need and the ease of use/setup far outweighs any tonality I would achieve by bothering with the 4CM.
So if I wanted to amp model and was going to run it through my 6505, simply putting the hd500 through my effects loop and turning studio mode off would get the job tone?

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
haha. First step would to be Bulb. 2nd step is to repeat step 1.

Though in all seriousness, wind back your gain A LOT, you don't need a lot of overdrive for a crisp, tight tone, most if it comes from being incredibly tight and having clean technique.

Then ensure you have noise gates set fairly hard, a compressor in the mix to beef up your signal, and then crank your mids!

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
When I want to run the HD500 (with the HD500 emulating the preamp) with a 5150 I do the following

Set output to stack poweramp out (this turns off mic emulation)
turn your cab off.
Select the 'pre' version of whatever head youw ant to use.

Put your HD500 into your effects return. This now bypasses the 5150 preamp. Now be careful, as now your master volume is on the HD500, the 5150 amp controls do absolutely nothing. I learnt this the hard way by having my HD500 master volume on full when plugging in. VERY loud feedback right next to my ear. lovely, haha. Set it to zero and then turn it up according to taste.

polarbeast666

Reaction score
When I want to run the HD500 (with the HD500 emulating the preamp) with a 5150 I do the following

Set output to stack poweramp out (this turns off mic emulation)
turn your cab off.
Select the 'pre' version of whatever head youw ant to use.

Put your HD500 into your effects return. This now bypasses the 5150 preamp. Now be careful, as now your master volume is on the HD500, the 5150 amp controls do absolutely nothing. I learnt this the hard way by having my HD500 master volume on full when plugging in. VERY loud feedback right next to my ear. lovely, haha. Set it to zero and then turn it up according to taste.
haha alright, well sounds good, thanks a million Ill let ya know how it goes, I will have the pod finnally on tuesday along with my new 7 string, cant wait

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
The fireball is even worse man, its like 1/2 the amp vs the powerball. I sold my recto in favor of the hd too.

I've gotten better recorded tones from the fireball on my hd. If they were to do any other engl, the invader or special edition head would be the way to go.

I sold my recto in favor of a 6505+ which I sold in favor of my powerball lol

LolloBlaskhyrt

HD Pro abuser
Reaction score
The fireball is even worse man, its like 1/2 the amp vs the powerball. I sold my recto in favor of the hd too.

I think Fireball is a good amp too. I use Angle F-Ball amp and I like it. Just my opinion ;) I think 5150 and Custom IRs in PodHD (every model) would be the PERFECTION. Who need to pay 2200€ for an Axe Fx if you have Engl, Mesa, Bogner, Diezel (why not?), Peavey 5150 and custom IRs in a 685€ Pod HD Pro :lol::lol:?????

polarbeast666

Reaction score
alright well wtf I just got my pod hd500 in the mail and theres so many places to plug things in Im lost. I want to use the pod for amp modeling through my peavey 6505. Can someone explain exxxactly what to plug into what? I tried a cable from my pods effects return to my heads effect return and my pods effects send mono to my amps send and plugged my guitar into my amp head. The sound was quite and no volumes was working. I know I did this WAY wrong..... I just dont know how to step by step plug what into what

LolloBlaskhyrt

HD Pro abuser
Reaction score
alright well wtf I just got my pod hd500 in the mail and theres so many places to plug things in Im lost. I want to use the pod for amp modeling through my peavey 6505. Can someone explain exxxactly what to plug into what? I tried a cable from my pods effects return to my heads effect return and my pods effects send mono to my amps send and plugged my guitar into my amp head. The sound was quite and no volumes was working. I know I did this WAY wrong..... I just dont know how to step by step plug what into what

:scratch: You use it for amp modeling through a real amp??? You'll have doing as you said 2 preamps and... the tone will be something terrible. Bypass amp model on pod and use 6505 preamp OR use pod for both preamp and fx!!!
For the connections:

(Amp model bypassed)
- guitar ->pod input
-pod send ->6505 input
-6505 send-> pod return
-pod output-> 6505 return

and then to cabinet

OR

(Pod + 6505 poweramp)
-Guitar-> pod in
-pod out-> 6505 return

and then to cabinet

just try.

PodHdBean

Reaction score
OUTPUT OF YOUR POD MAKE SURE YOU USE THE HEAD PHONE OUT
INTO THE FX RETURN O N YOUR HEAD.I never use the 4cm because its just pointless for me this is the easiest way.but if u want to use it just for effects u need to use the 4cm:wallbash: