geoffshreds

Reaction score
Oh one more question, I have an ISP decimator and I'm unsure whether to sell it to help fund the hd500 or not. How is the gate on it? I'd be using it with an active monitor AND part of a mesa dual rec rig. With the hd500 being used for most of the modulations.
don't sell the decimator. run it in front of the pod. thats what i do to save dsp for more space for effects/ eq on my patches. just make sure you plug it in with an adapter, not just the 9v battery...running it on the 9v has actually added noise in my experience. the regular noise gate on the pod seems to eat up your tone. i usually run the decimator threshold somewhere between the -40 and -30...then run the pods hard gate right before the amp block (if necessary). usually the decimator is enough.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Paolosev91

Reaction score
Anyone else is using 230k as default impedance? It cleans up everything and lets me get a full spectrum clear tone without having it killed by mi pick attack. I am playing a 6 string ibanez rg470 with Duncan Distortion in the bridge and Air norton in the Neck, 10-46 ernie balls.
Input settings: 1. guitar 2. variax
I have also recently discovered that any amp in "pre" position gives the shortest delay (you will notice it immediately playing a very fast riff using your headpones, moving the amp back and forth between pre position and path A only) and also having the amp in pre position but also with the path b muted gives the clearer response, (path A is still a full stereo channel, just pan it to center so you get stereo response and no frequency cancellation and extra boominess with the path signals summing in the mixer)

I was having lots of problems playing distorted patches with headphones, thanks to meambobbo's guide I discovered the mid focus eq high frequency roll-off to work perfectly, so I can now use the headphones at high volumes without killing my ears!)

But... I still have a problem... my pick attack... I am trying different picks, I usually use 1mm tortex or jazz III, my pickup height should be fine... but every tone I'm trying to create, especially with headphones, is a fight between me and my pick attack, always too strong, especially with the treadplate model, no matter what mic, and I discovered that lowering the "mid" parameter and presence help to obtain a softer attack. The attack on the treadplate is not a problem with gain at 70-80... it is a problem with gain at 50-60! The sound is clear and power chords are spectacular and expressive, but single notes solo tones are really hard to achieve because of the quite strong attack! Anyone can help me?

eastguitar

Reaction score
I have a question:

How to work the Impulses Responses with HD Pro in the DAW?? Disable the cabinet in the HD and insert the impulses into the Track audio?

Thank you!

meambobbo

Reaction score
Anyone else is using 230k as default impedance? It cleans up everything and lets me get a full spectrum clear tone without having it killed by mi pick attack. I am playing a 6 string ibanez rg470 with Duncan Distortion in the bridge and Air norton in the Neck, 10-46 ernie balls.
Input settings: 1. guitar 2. variax
I have also recently discovered that any amp in "pre" position gives the shortest delay (you will notice it immediately playing a very fast riff using your headpones, moving the amp back and forth between pre position and path A only) and also having the amp in pre position but also with the path b muted gives the clearer response, (path A is still a full stereo channel, just pan it to center so you get stereo response and no frequency cancellation and extra boominess with the path signals summing in the mixer)

I was having lots of problems playing distorted patches with headphones, thanks to meambobbo's guide I discovered the mid focus eq high frequency roll-off to work perfectly, so I can now use the headphones at high volumes without killing my ears!)

But... I still have a problem... my pick attack... I am trying different picks, I usually use 1mm tortex or jazz III, my pickup height should be fine... but every tone I'm trying to create, especially with headphones, is a fight between me and my pick attack, always too strong, especially with the treadplate model, no matter what mic, and I discovered that lowering the "mid" parameter and presence help to obtain a softer attack. The attack on the treadplate is not a problem with gain at 70-80... it is a problem with gain at 50-60! The sound is clear and power chords are spectacular and expressive, but single notes solo tones are really hard to achieve because of the quite strong attack! Anyone can help me?

I know exactly what you mean about the Treadplate at a non-mush level of distortion. Try boosting Sag, and/or boosting the Decay Cab DEP. Sag will soften the attack. Decay thickens things a little bit - it won't take away the percussiveness of the attack but make it less scratchy.

Another suggestion - similar to lowering the impedance, try using a Line 6 Drive with 0% Drive in front the amp, and lowering Treble a touch, and play with Mids - it is a mid-peak frequency sweep, not an amplitude adjustment. Default 50% will likely soften the tone a bit but maybe remove some of the djent - I think 60-70% might be about right.

Similarly, a Mid-Focus EQ before the amp can get the same effect, but for some reason the Mid-Focus seems to be easy to clip. I put a Volume effect at a fixed 40% in front to compensate, then boost the Gain on the Mid-Focus to about 50-60%. Then you just adjust the LP values until you've softened up the bite.

meambobbo

Reaction score
I have a question:

How to work the Impulses Responses with HD Pro in the DAW?? Disable the cabinet in the HD and insert the impulses into the Track audio?

Thank you!

Yes, select "no cab", then use a plugin such as LeCab or some other convolution reverb plugin to load the IR. Make sure to disable direct monitoring of the signal in your interface's control panel and enable monitoring in your DAW.

Also, you can use any non-studio/direct output mode and choose a cab, and additionally use an IR in your DAW. In such output modes, the cab choice isn't really a cab/mic simulation but just an EQ-effect. You might find combinations that work nicely.

eastguitar

Reaction score
Yes, select "no cab", then use a plugin such as LeCab or some other convolution reverb plugin to load the IR. Make sure to disable direct monitoring of the signal in your interface's control panel and enable monitoring in your DAW.

Also, you can use any non-studio/direct output mode and choose a cab, and additionally use an IR in your DAW. In such output modes, the cab choice isn't really a cab/mic simulation but just an EQ-effect. You might find combinations that work nicely.

Thanks very much, friend!!

subject aftermath

Reaction score
hey guys, is it me or is the power pack for the POD HD 300 really flimsy?
If I just put it into the socket it seems theres a bad contact or something and the unit will peridoically turn off then start up again, dunno if anyone has had this problem

Paolosev91

Reaction score
Meambobbo you are a genius... The treadplate with the mid focus eq with low pass now plays veery smoothly! Seems like line6 forgot to model some bandpass filters that are in real amps! Treadplate needs low pass, bogner surely needs a bandpass! This pre-eqing is also very good for distortion tones because after applying it you don't need to use a very narrow mid eq after the cab, so the frequency spectrum will be full and more dynamic. You should work in line6 research team, they have to employ you!

bukkakeONyoMAMA

Reaction score

Greetings fellow NJ guy.... My best friend is a cop in kearny so i frequent your area often.... Anyway, it sounds real good... Not too much to complain about on the guitars... Drums are a little low but im sure thats on purpose to showcase the pod's abilities.. Do you have a band, and if so, where are you guys playing at around jersey?

friez256

Reaction score
Greetings fellow NJ guy.... My best friend is a cop in kearny so i frequent your area often.... Anyway, it sounds real good... Not too much to complain about on the guitars... Drums are a little low but im sure thats on purpose to showcase the pod's abilities.. Do you have a band, and if so, where are you guys playing at around jersey?

Haha, that's awesome! Thanks, and yeah they were. I do have a band. We're called Day In Day Out: http://www.facebook.com/dayindayoutband We have some shows coming up up until December. The biggest one booked so far is with Texas in July for New Years in Clifton, NJ so that'll be a lot of fun.

meambobbo

Reaction score
So i'm replacing the Blackouts on my RGA8 with D Activators. I don't have my DPDT push/pull pots in, so I haven't done a complete wiring, but I grew impatient and wired up the bridge pickup straight to the guitar jack last night.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

I'm in tone nirvana. Gonna be a shitload of clips/patches dropping soon.

For those curious, the Blackouts were way too bass heavy, and I could never get the palm mutes to sound right - always too much like a bass drum. They also compressed the pick attack too much, so I never got the level of expression I wanted.

Some have said D Activators sound like actives. I disagree entirely, at least for the 8 string versions. They have less output than I thought they would, they are very dynamic, good flat response. Bass is tight but not overpowering at all. Tone is more midsy than anything, but still has crisp highs/tight bass. I guess the overall distortion tone is similar, but because the pick attack is SO MUCH DIFFERENT, the overall sound is nothing like actives.