meambobbo

Reaction score
Has there been any news when the Soldano and Doom amps are coming to the HD500?

yeah, a L6 employee said on the forum about 2 weeks ago to check back in the next couple weeks. So today???? Soon????? I would expect it before Halloween I guess. Otherwise, they should rename the Doom model to PeaceOnEarth.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
So i'm replacing the Blackouts on my RGA8 with D Activators. I don't have my DPDT push/pull pots in, so I haven't done a complete wiring, but I grew impatient and wired up the bridge pickup straight to the guitar jack last night.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

I'm in tone nirvana. Gonna be a shitload of clips/patches dropping soon.

For those curious, the Blackouts were way too bass heavy, and I could never get the palm mutes to sound right - always too much like a bass drum. They also compressed the pick attack too much, so I never got the level of expression I wanted.

Some have said D Activators sound like actives. I disagree entirely, at least for the 8 string versions. They have less output than I thought they would, they are very dynamic, good flat response. Bass is tight but not overpowering at all. Tone is more midsy than anything, but still has crisp highs/tight bass. I guess the overall distortion tone is similar, but because the pick attack is SO MUCH DIFFERENT, the overall sound is nothing like actives.

I loved the tones i had when i jammed out on a D-activator loaded RGD7421 through a Pod HD PRO, sick fucking brutal as tones with plenty of chunk

meambobbo

Reaction score
I need a piezo-style tone but I haven't piezo on my guitars! How can I do it in my HD?

Wrong place to start! You're never gonna get a Piezo tone from a signal generated by magnetic pickups. You can EQ the crap out of your tone and never get there. Mags don't carry the same frequencies, and even the same waveform. And they add compression piezo doesn't have.

If you want true Piezo tone, get real Piezo!
Products & Ordering - Graph Tech
Products & Ordering - Graph Tech

meambobbo

Reaction score
no prob and FWIW, I haven't used the linked products above so I can't vouch for them. I do have a piezo in my EBMM JPM but I find it doesn't sound as nice as a real acoustic. I want to try to find some kind of acoustic simulator plugin to run it through.

I think the Pod will not offer such because Line 6 wants you to buy Variaxes

Paolosev91

Reaction score
if you want an acoustic sound out from a piezo, you should try Fishman's Aura Sixteen, it's amazing and gives life to your piezo tone... say goodbye to your plastic-like attack! it's designed for piezo guitars and simulates real microphoned very expensive acoustic guitars, the aura gallery is updated continously with lots of models and you can load them in the pedal. Ah, and John Petrucci uses it ;-)

meambobbo

Reaction score
just checked out a demo of that fishman and it sounds really nice - crazy that you can download profiles into it like the kemper. does anyone know of perhaps a less expensive VST plugin that does something similar?

MobiusR

Thall, that is all
Reaction score
Does anyone use a R121 for their mic? I just started to experiment and i'm seriously loving this mic. It has no frizz on the high end which i always had trouble with.

Other than that, my old tones i used for a good couple of months was a V30/FBall/57on which gave me loads of clearness for days. Anyone try that combo?

geoffshreds

Reaction score
Does anyone use a R121 for their mic? I just started to experiment and i'm seriously loving this mic. It has no frizz on the high end which i always had trouble with.

Other than that, my old tones i used for a good couple of months was a V30/FBall/57on which gave me loads of clearness for days. Anyone try that combo?

one of my best tones is a dual amp patch using Fball/XXL cab/57on and Fball/hiway cab/121

i do agree that the 121 definitely cuts the high end fizz/sizzle but only with certain combinations it seems.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

meambobbo

Reaction score

I find the 121 by itself doesn't have enough crispy high end for most cab models, but I do like it when I use dual cabs - I usually have something with a 57 on axis then another with something darker - usually a 57 off axis, 409 Dyn, or 121 Ribbon.

One of my favorite combinations right now is a Tread V-30 with 57 on axis mixed with a Greenbacks with 121.

As always with dual cabs, be sure to phase correct!:
MeAmBobbo PodHD Guide - Cabs/Mics

MobiusR

Thall, that is all
Reaction score
I'll probably post a few clips of tones ive been using. Mostly this 121 mic patch. I love it cause it has warmness highs instead of shrill nasty highs. I mean my dad said (who doesn't know anything about music equipment or guitar at all) the 121 sounded better than the 57/Threadv30 combo i had going on.

meambobbo

Reaction score
the tread v-30 + 57 on axis is particularly harsh. I never use that by itself, and even in my dual cab patches, I always use a Mid-Focus EQ to trim some of the harshness.