This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

meambobbo

Reaction score
What I did was get my rhythm patch and add some Delay and reverb. I like it, but I am wondering if theres any tricks that you guys use.

My trick is to use Tread V-30 + 57 on axis mixed with Greenbacks + 121 ribbon. The Greenbacks +121 give a very warm mid-centric that's perfect for thick, creamy leads.

Otherwise, delay + reverb. I usually use the Digital Delay and the Hall Reverb.

Some other tricks:
* If you can't fit a reverb due to DSP, you can use a delay with a short time and high feedback instead - it sounds a bit wonky on its own, but in addition to a longer delay it blends in nicely.
* OR you can try using E.R. to simulate a touch of reverb. Since I use "dual cabs", I set the E.R. higher on my darker cab. This gives it a more natural sound.
* I like to crank up the Res. Level and/or Decay Cab DEP's for lead tones. This thickens up the tone on the thinner strings and keeps them from being too percussive, thin, and harsh.
* Whereas I normally want to use pre-eq or a distortion as a filter before my amp distortion with an mids to upper mids peak, I find this can be a bit too harsh for higher up the fretboard on the thinner strings, so I move my mids peak downwards and/or remove more treble. This softens up the tone.
* If you can't fit a mod effect, I find the Delay with Mod is a good 2-in-1 effect
* Sometimes when you can't get everything as crisp as you want, the Vintage Mic Pre effect can draw out the brightness and clarity you felt was missing. Just be sure to turn down the low pass frequency to around 12-13 kHZ and set gain so there's barely any crackle.
* Turn your damn noise gate off, or set it to work mildly with larger Decay settings.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
What I did was get my rhythm patch and add some Delay and reverb. I like it, but I am wondering if theres any tricks that you guys use.

Whenever i make a "lead" version of my rhythm tone, i always loosen up the gate, lower the gain, and add some mids, then of course delays and reverbs and all that stuff.

dreamermind

Steel Panther Fan
Reaction score

nathanwessel

Nathan Wessel
Reaction score
Hey all.

To start, here's what I'm currently using.

POD HD 500 ---> 2 Tannoy Reveal 501A's

When I'm using high gain tones on the POD, the tones sound weak and not as full as they should be. I'm not sure what the issue here could be. Perhaps, its something as simple as --Rig isn't meant to handle that-- or whatever else.

For those familiar with hd 500 presets from customtone, presets such as "DT Djent 7" and "periphery". They just sound weak.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!:wavey:

IbanezFred

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about how bad a tone sounds by itself because it can probably sound badass with some drums and bass....i read on a Meshuggah Koloss Tone thread that bulb and Fredrik thordendal released presets designed by them and everyone thought they were not so great...but they weren't saying that when listening to the mixed tracks lol.... But if it bothers you that badly, i would say to share what that preset has in the chain?

nathanwessel

Nathan Wessel
Reaction score
It's just not pleasant to play on. I'm at work now, so I can't give the sets. I'm wondering if I'm just missing something. It's not just the super-gain settings, it's also the metallica-y, DT, etc settings. The sound just isn't full.

Shask

Reaction score
Did you play an actual amp before getting the POD? Playing modelers into monitors is a lot different....

I still don't like these units much into studio monitors. I mostly play my HD500 and Axe-FX into a poweramp and guitar cab. I will use monitors sometimes, but it never sounds as good as the poweramp/cab.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Just in case this is just a tone issue and not something more, lower the gain, add some midrange and a tad bit of low end. We can always learn to use less gain.

Kristianx510

Reaction score
Just in case this is just a tone issue and not something more, lower the gain, add some midrange and a tad bit of low end. We can always learn to use less gain.

Could not agree more with. Every time I make a new patch mind tells me "turn the gain and treble up. forget everything else." then after realizing it sounds like balls I doe exactly what you said.