RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
It's a pretty simple proposition really, you just have to change your output to PWR AMP STACK and setup your amp models to the PRE versions. Run the 1/4" out (either right or left) to the Effects Loop return.

For a more flexible setup, use the 4 cable method to run the POD into the front of the amp and the amp into the pod and back. That method allows you to choose your amp's preamp or pod models on a per-patch basis. That would, for instance, allow you to use the HiWatt or Fender clean and your 6505's rightous drive channel. It also lets you put effects in their proper places - ODs in front of the amps, time-based effects in the loop.

I can agree with everything but using the pre only versions. I tried them running through the fx return of my engl powerball and they just seemed way too thin. Having the full version also gives you more tonal control with the dep's.

Just my $0.02. Good tone is whatever sounds good to the person playing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

japs5607

Reaction score
It's a pretty simple proposition really, you just have to change your output to PWR AMP STACK and setup your amp models to the PRE versions. Run the 1/4" out (either right or left) to the Effects Loop return.

For a more flexible setup, use the 4 cable method to run the POD into the front of the amp and the amp into the pod and back. That method allows you to choose your amp's preamp or pod models on a per-patch basis. That would, for instance, allow you to use the HiWatt or Fender clean and your 6505's rightous drive channel. It also lets you put effects in their proper places - ODs in front of the amps, time-based effects in the loop.

I do this. Never had a problem. I run straig into the fx return. Just remember to turn the fx loop on first, otherwise you will get no sound

PodHdBean

Reaction score
just sucks when we get the dsp limit message lol
:scream:
Bottom line, spend the extra money and get the 500. Not only are you limited on how many fx blocks, but your very limited to where you can put them. Not to mention that you can't do dual amps/cabs. VERY worth the extra money.

Also, the 500 will give you everything the pro does except for one or two ins/outs and you DO get the expression pedal as well as footswitchablenessss.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
It will send both amps to one channel in the daw. Or at least it does in cubase le4 for me.

Ah. Now that's a real shame. I guess it means you can do that Steve Vai style double amping live but it would have been amazing to record both amps independently. Can you sent them to different unbalanced or balanced outs?

just sucks when we get the dsp limit message lol
:scream:

Wassat? :ugh:

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
The tone I am currently working on using Rickys Mesa patch. This clip is three tracks panned left, right, and center.

Suggestions? Advice? Comments?

I am really trying to nail a good tone before I even start recording anything proper.

POD HD Mesa patch Tone test by SDSM on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Look up where I already commented on it lol

Don't pan any guitars to center unless its a lead/solo. It just muddies things up.read my post from earlier so I don't have to re type everything.

Adding to that though, when you double track both the left and right, make one of each side a little quieter than the other.

SDSM

Reaction score
Look up where I already commented on it lol

Don't pan any guitars to center unless its a lead/solo. It just muddies things up.read my post from earlier so I don't have to re type everything.

Adding to that though, when you double track both the left and right, make one of each side a little quieter than the other.

Oh sorry didnt see the earlier comment lol I never pan guitar tracks to the center when I am mixing, just left and right. Usually I only just have two rhythm tracks left and right, never really tried quad tracking but I may experiment with adding in a different tone and see what happens.

I like the Angelball amp sim on the Pod but It always seems a little too harsh for me sometimes, well on its own, but I will give it a try with the mesa.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Oh sorry didnt see the earlier comment lol I never pan guitar tracks to the center when I am mixing, just left and right. Usually I only just have two rhythm tracks left and right, never really tried quad tracking but I may experiment with adding in a different tone and see what happens.

I like the Angelball amp sim on the Pod but It always seems a little too harsh for me sometimes, well on its own, but I will give it a try with the mesa.

Try the engl and Mesa together. Listen to my track cannibalistic genocide and you can hear what they sound like together. Left is engl, right is Mesa. Two of each.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Ah. Now that's a real shame. I guess it means you can do that Steve Vai style double amping live but it would have been amazing to record both amps independently. Can you sent them to different unbalanced or balanced outs?

The balanced and unbalanced both work at the same time from what I've noticed. You could do a lazy quad track if you have at least a 4 channel interface and run all four into it with dual amp tones panned left and right on the pod lol

PodHdBean

Reaction score
For example when i use two epic models in dual tone .i can only add a noise gate screamer and e.q ...cant even get a delay or mod =/

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
For example when i use two epic models in dual tone .i can only add a noise gate screamer and e.q ...cant even get a delay or mod =/

That's on a HD500? That's insane! Why can't you add more? Lack of processing power?

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
I sold my axe fx 2 and bought a POD, this might be ultimate blasphemy but I'm much preferring the POD at the moment.. Don't get me wrong, some of the sounds / presets are fucking comical.. But plenty of really useable stuff too :)

Will post NAD when done a recording :)

celticelk

Reaction score
That's on a HD500? That's insane! Why can't you add more? Lack of processing power?

The more detailed you make the amp models, the more processing power they take, and the less processing power you have left over for anything else. The HD500's specs are a compromise based on the projected use case and price point, like anything else. If you want to run two amps and a bunch of effects live, the HD500 has an effects loop that you can use for your external effects.

PodHdBean

Reaction score
its just that some of the reverbs take alot of processing power.im sure line 6 will somewhat fix it in the future.Im trying not to use any external processing ....but ya..:scream:

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
lol when i used the 300-400 just the fact that you cant use a screamer and eq at the same time is just a epic fail.:lol:

Most of my patches I use barely, if any eq fx at all. However, my chain is usually comp>hard gate>screamer>hard gate>amp so there's no way I could pull that off on a 300 or 400.

The epic model I do use an eq though to get rid of the crazy honkiness and get an assload more djent out of it. I only use single amps on my patches though, so I don't even remember the last time I hit the dsp limit. Not to mention that I use my mxr carbon copy for delay on lead parts.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread but I've come across something quite important (for me as a podhd500 user anyway).
Since I've had my POD HD500 I've always had trouble with noise and the noisegates not working properly with high gain patches.
For some reason either of the 2 noisegates didn't work well.
There was always a fade out of noise even if the release was set to zero.
I haven't found a solution for patches without the TS9 model.
But yesterday I was frustrated getting a good noiseless and properly gated sound and I tried the Tubescreamer model before the noisegate.
I usually put the noisegate first in the chain but now for the first time since I've owned the POD I got a properly gated sound.
So try it out!
Now my goal is to figure out a way to get a good sound without a TS model.
I don't know why this works so wel as opposed to without a tube screamer model.
I use the TS for tone and volume only so no gain applied.

My POD is not faulty, I've owned 2 and a friend of mine also owns one.
There were always noise issues even with input 2 set to variax albeit less noise.
The noise gate on podfarm seems to work really well and I thought they would use the same algorhythm but it sounds like crap.... (untill now with the TS thing)