This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Perge

Reaction score
Even so, I don't really go mad for effects- some mod (either chorus, flange, delay or rotary), delay and reverb. Not a big pitch shift user etc.

I can't see myself really wanting for that much more for the price step up (280GBP against 450GBP). While it'd be nice for the flagship unit, budget is tight and the 400 seems a reasonable compromise..

I use almost NO effects. Ever. Except my lead tone. I reccomend the %00 over the 3/4 so much. Being able to throw an eq in anywhere you want makes it SO much more versatile. Trust me. If you want a tone you don't have to compromise on, go with the 500. :hbang:

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
I'm thinking about saving for a POD HD for late night practice and portability (it's not as heavy as an amp...!).

Currently considering the HD400. Asides from a few FX slots, loop and patch memory and less buttons, am I really missing that much if I don't go the extra for the HD500? It also seems that the 500 has a few less amp models (I can't see myself really managing to use ALL the models on the 300/400 anyways).

I had this conundrum a couple of weeks ago.
I got the Pod HD Desktop/bean as I don't need the floor pedals, didn't want to spend the extra £100 but I did want dual amps/cabs - which the 300/400 can't do iirc.

And if you're in the UK - Andertons have a good deal on the desktop at the mo (bunch of extras).

thedonal

Reaction score
Some good points.

I don't think the desktop will be enough- if I want to take it into a rehearsal studio/small gig then the pedal units will be so much more useful to me.

I've got a few months of saving to go before I get it, so plenty of time to make up my mind...

meambobbo

Reaction score
300/400 throw compressors, distortion, and eq effects in the first block, along with spring reverb. So you get your choice of using ONE of those. I have numerous patches with compression, distortion (very useful as a boost/filter for the high gain amps offered), and multiple EQ's. And I have lots of patches that use dual amps, not so much for using 2 different amps but two different cabs and/or mics.

I'm not a big FX guy, but so glad I didn't get a 300/400.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Bobbo says it best as usual.

I don't use any fx either. But I always have a compressor, screamer, multiple gates and eq. As well as a mid focus for high and low pass to eliminate the need for them in my daw.

The 300/400 are for people that like wasting money in the long run.

meambobbo

Reaction score
well wasting money might be a bit harsh. there are valid uses for them. full metal patch signal chains are just not one of them IMO. if you just wanted amp sims and had external pedals it could work. shit, the external pedals might sound better anyway - they just don't all switch at the press of one button.

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
Cheers guys. I'll stop buying wine and start saving harder then! :)

Well no need to go THAT far mate :eek:
If the pedal board suits more what you want to do with it, then get the 500 - dual amps/cabs is the BALLS :yesway:

thedonal

Reaction score
Well...I could probably do with cutting down, at least :D. Still paying interest free for a purchase from Andertons last year (Blofeld, Octopre and Axiom 25), so can save a bit up til then and more after. Or maybe put a big deposit in and go 0% again..

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
Well...I could probably do with cutting down, at least :D. Still paying interest free for a purchase from Andertons last year (Blofeld, Octopre and Axiom 25), so can save a bit up til then and more after. Or maybe put a big deposit in and go 0% again..

Argh, wish you didn't remind me of that, think I'll nip in tomorrow about the Jackson... hmm :agreed:

thedonal

Reaction score
If you can do the deposit, it's a good way of getting something sooner for a minimal monthly hit. Did the same with an acoustic, 2 years ago from Guitar Village..(that was the result of walking into a guitar shop without an intention of purchasing... ;))

PodHdBean

Reaction score
why dont u just order it off ams? they have 0 % and you pay in payments
If you can do the deposit, it's a good way of getting something sooner for a minimal monthly hit. Did the same with an acoustic, 2 years ago from Guitar Village..(that was the result of walking into a guitar shop without an intention of purchasing... ;))

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Since the Pod HD Pro is meant to Line 6's answer to the Axe-FX what is their equivalent or the most similar to FAS LEAD 1?

Any help would be great as when I finally get one I'm gonna rip off Dick Lovgren's tone.

EDIT: I was showing my music class the ola video where he compares the Pod HD Pro to the Axe-FX and they all said the Pod was better:lol:

DeathMentaL

Unborn MentaL
Reaction score
Since the Pod HD Pro is meant to Line 6's answer to the Axe-FX what is their equivalent or the most similar to FAS LEAD 1?

Any help would be great as when I finally get one I'm gonna rip off Dick Lovgren's tone.

EDIT: I was showing my music class the ola video where he compares the Pod HD Pro to the Axe-FX and they all said the Pod was better:lol:

I've heard that a lot. For me I find the Axe FX 2 a lot more clear on the low end of the amp and picks up the metal grainy sound that is hard to get from other sims. I don't have an AXE FX 2 but with a baby on the way the lady would kill me if i bought it right now.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score

Dick Lövgren's tone is currently a combination of the bass being split, with one side going into a distorted guitar amp with a metallic clunky sound, and the other side going into a fuzz and into a clean amp (or just a slightly pushed amp).

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Dick Lövgren's tone is currently a combination of the bass being split, with one side going into a distorted guitar amp with a metallic clunky sound, and the other side going into a fuzz and into a clean amp (or just a slightly pushed amp).

Ok so dual amps with the mids really high on both, the first amp being a Guitar one and the other an ampeg with a fuzz in front?