RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
What do you guys typically do to make a patch more "lead" like?
Also RickyCigs! Did you make a All Shall Perish patch or am I imagining that?

i did make one quite a while back that was somewhat similar, but i scrapped it to de-clutter my customtone page. perhaps that should be my next one. they are my favorite band, so i should probably have a tone for them....

and i just use a bulb lead patch that i got from someone that tried to make his axe-fx settings.

my advice for making a lead patch would be take your favorite rhythm patch, use a little less gain, a bunch more compression, some analog delay and possibly some e.r. if you dont have the dsp left for a reverb. also, lower your gate setting so that notes dont cut off.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
What do you guys typically do to make a patch more "lead" like?
Also RickyCigs! Did you make a All Shall Perish patch or am I imagining that?

I generally saturate the tone with a little more gain, boost the mids in my pre-eq, and roll off some of the highs to get it nice and smooth.

Nemonic

Reaction score
Hi guys. Few people have mentioned a pair of small and cheap monitors for the HD in this thread, something like M-Audio. Do you remember which model was it? Do you got any other tips for small and cheap nearfields?

PodHdBean

Reaction score
the maudio av40 are the cheapest new next would be the bx5 they both work great just depends how much you want to spend.i recommend the bx5 since they have 5 inch woofers.:shred:
Hi guys. Few people have mentioned a pair of small and cheap monitors for the HD in this thread, something like M-Audio. Do you remember which model was it? Do you got any other tips for small and cheap nearfields?

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score

Lately I'm hearing great things about the jbl 2335 I think the model number is. They're only $200. I use the m-audio bx5's and I really like them, but I got them used for basically nothing.

Reaction score
I own the M-Audio AV40. They are quite good for their price and their size. If you have the money for something better like the bx5 go for them since the AV40 cuts a bit the bass frequencies.

Poltergeist

Reaction score
So do the m audio BX8's give more of a bass presence? better for say playing my bass guitar through them with the POD for recording ? how much of a difference compared to the BX5's?

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
not sure if you guys are still interested, but i went ahead and made an Intervals patch ;)

heres a sample!
https://soundcloud.com/rickycigs/intervals-djent-tone-match
and heres the patch!
http://line6.com/customtone/tone/225238/

i only ask that you please share my music with at least one of your friends. im doing tone matching by request out if the goodness of my heart and dont ask for anything else in return. any feedback is appreciated as always.

if there is a tone that you would like to hear next, please inbox me with your suggest and put the band/tone in the subject box. this way i dont lose all of your requests!

Bump for next page action

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
So do the m audio BX8's give more of a bass presence? better for say playing my bass guitar through them with the POD for recording ? how much of a difference compared to the BX5's?

I would say quite a difference. The bigger the speaker, the lower the bass frequencies you'll be able to hear.

Or, you could buy small studio monitors and save for a studio sub...

Poltergeist

Reaction score
I would say quite a difference. The bigger the speaker, the lower the bass frequencies you'll be able to hear.

Or, you could buy small studio monitors and save for a studio sub...

Thats a pretty good idea.. I'll have to search Ebay and see if I can find any monitor/studio sub combo deals..

Nemonic

Reaction score
Try to do a bit of research first. There are people saying that your room should be well treated and suited for subwoofer, so it might actually harm your sound.
There are some 5/8 models that have the same frequency range. The difference is that you hear the bass part a bit more with the bigger woofer.

Thank you.

Rick, has my Facebook message reached you? Just asking.

meambobbo

Reaction score
in general, cone size relates to low end, although there's a lot of technical factors involved in why that's actually true that aren't necessarily rules. for instance, lots of bass cabs use 10's while guitar cabs use 12's, yet this is backwards from what you'd expect.

i have the BX8's and am a fan. I have also heard good things about the Rockit 8's and Yamaha HS's. Beyond that, you're getting into some serious $$

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Try to do a bit of research first. There are people saying that your room should be well treated and suited for subwoofer, so it might actually harm your sound.
There are some 5/8 models that have the same frequency range. The difference is that you hear the bass part a bit more with the bigger woofer.

Thank you.

Rick, has my Facebook message reached you? Just asking.

Haha yes it has. Just busy working on my car today

meambobbo

Reaction score
as for room treatment, just give up. trapping bass is rather difficult - an inch of foam won't stop it from going right through that and bouncing off the walls. the best you can do is get some thicker corner wedges for the corners of the room. unless you want to tear the walls up and start building panel traps.

I would go with the 8" monitors and not worry about the sub. The BX8's put out plenty bass. I've run a number of bass tests through them and was actually really impressed at how deep and clear the bass was. i'm also impressed they survived - that shit was loud.

surfthealien

Reaction score
not sure if you guys are still interested, but i went ahead and made an Intervals patch ;)

heres a sample!
https://soundcloud.com/rickycigs/intervals-djent-tone-match
and heres the patch!
http://line6.com/customtone/tone/225238/

i only ask that you please share my music with at least one of your friends. im doing tone matching by request out if the goodness of my heart and dont ask for anything else in return. any feedback is appreciated as always.

if there is a tone that you would like to hear next, please inbox me with your suggest and put the band/tone in the subject box. this way i dont lose all of your requests!

I think you did a awesome job with this patch! Intervals has been a favorite of mine for a while I found them on pandora of all places. listening to "killswitch radio" at work. I did a short tone test with your patch I am really liking it. I wonder if i can squeeze in a delay to make a solo tone with it?

https://soundcloud.com/surfthealien/rickys-patch

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I think you did a awesome job with this patch! Intervals has been a favorite of mine for a while I found them on pandora of all places. listening to "killswitch radio" at work. I did a short tone test with your patch I am really liking it. I wonder if i can squeeze in a delay to make a solo tone with it?

https://soundcloud.com/surfthealien/rickys-patch

Thanks! I would say if you take out the second gate or maybe the pre amp eq you could replace it with a delay. Since its only a single amp patch there is more than enough dsp left over

Poltergeist

Reaction score
as for room treatment, just give up. trapping bass is rather difficult - an inch of foam won't stop it from going right through that and bouncing off the walls. the best you can do is get some thicker corner wedges for the corners of the room. unless you want to tear the walls up and start building panel traps.

I would go with the 8" monitors and not worry about the sub. The BX8's put out plenty bass. I've run a number of bass tests through them and was actually really impressed at how deep and clear the bass was. i'm also impressed they survived - that shit was loud.

That's good to hear from your personal experience, meambobbo. I'll probably go with the Bx8's. I thought I'd have to fork out some hefty coin to buy the pair in mint condition but there are some pairs on Ebay going for as low as $349.00 . So I may be getting them sooner than later... It's getting kinda old using my home stereo system and RCA speakers. Bass sounds terribly muffled and it pops at high volumes. Really hindering my desire and ability to record/mix right now...

Thanks again, guys for your helpful advice! Much respect :yesway:

PodHdBean

Reaction score
Try craigslist or the used section on guitar centers website .I've had bad experience with a blown tweater .try before you buy if u can
That's good to hear from your personal experience, meambobbo. I'll probably go with the Bx8's. I thought I'd have to fork out some hefty coin to buy the pair in mint condition but there are some pairs on Ebay going for as low as $349.00 . So I may be getting them sooner than later... It's getting kinda old using my home stereo system and RCA speakers. Bass sounds terribly muffled and it pops at high volumes. Really hindering my desire and ability to record/mix right now...

Thanks again, guys for your helpful advice! Much respect :yesway:

Indigenous

Indigenous
Reaction score
How successfully could I run an HD500 through a tube amp? I have someone offering me one at a good price, but my only qualm is that I have nothing to run it through other than a Fender Deville. Would I be able to use the sims on it, or would I only be able to use it as an effects kind of thing?

Nemonic

Reaction score
Man, it is pretty annoying at least for me to answer the same question all over.
Search this thread and/or google it using the keyword.
You can use 4 cable method if it has FX Loop (search says it has). Please, do not ask what does 4 cable method mean.