Kalzedar

Reaction score
Hey guys, I bet this has been asked already but searching the forums has come up with no results.

Is there any real difference between the Pod hd pro and the hd pro X?? I have the pro right now but am able to get the X if I sell my pro for a decent price. Any help would be great!

Updated case (fancier looking footswitches) and more DSP for more power/more effects at once. No difference in quality of the amp models or anything as it's the same firmware.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
Updated case (fancier looking footswitches) and more DSP for more power/more effects at once. No difference in quality of the amp models or anything as it's the same firmware.

Hey guys, I bet this has been asked already but searching the forums has come up with no results.

Is there any real difference between the Pod hd pro and the hd pro X?? I have the pro right now but am able to get the X if I sell my pro for a decent price. Any help would be great!

Fancier footswitches pertains to the HD500, the Pro is the rackmount. ;)

But other than that, that's correct. To my knowledge they just added more DSP to the Pro X.

progman

Reaction score
If this has been answered already, please direct me to the page. I am having an issue with my mid-focus high gain distorted tones (i.e. metal/djent tones) When I play tones that I have created or tones from custometones with my amp (Marshall VS100 w/cab, through effects loop) they sound pretty good. However, when I play and listen with my headphones, the tone is way too thin. This worries me as I plan to sell my Marshall and buy a pair of Alto Pa speakers. These speakers do not color the sound at all so I will be all Pod. I know most people quad track when recording, so how are people reproducing their tones live with the 500? I know about the amp settings. I use Studio Direct for everything because all the other settings (even with my amp) don't sound good. How are people "thickening" their sound?

Innervision

Reaction score
Headphones are nowhere close to FRFR speakers so you shouldn't worry about that. If it sounds good on your FRFR speakers, then everything's good! If you plan on playing (not recording) with your headphones, you could dial headphone versions of your presets (boost the bass etc), if you plan on recording, don't touch a single knob based on your headphones listening.

progman

Reaction score
That is what I thought. I have Shure240's which are known for being mid-focused. I am going to try the Alto's before I buy them but it sounds like I will be ok. The reason I was worried was because when I record (using Garage Band-stupid, I know) it sounds exactly like using my headphones and not like it does through my amp. So, my thinking was that my amp was adding the thickness. Maybe it is just that Garage Band is garbage. I am buying the Alto's because of the tonal difference when playing anything but metal. My amp just can't handle the interstices of the pod.

BaylorPRSer

Reaction score
Looking at the POD HD, specifically the 500. I want to record S/PDIF, but also want to record two guitar tracks at once, one wet with POD tone and one dry, is this possible with S/PDIF? How would I set up the HD500 to record two tracks simultaneously?

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Looking at the POD HD, specifically the 500. I want to record S/PDIF, but also want to record two guitar tracks at once, one wet with POD tone and one dry, is this possible with S/PDIF? How would I set up the HD500 to record two tracks simultaneously?

Normally you would record dry with the spdif and wet with the 1/4" but you can just pan them separately on the pods mixer. Wet on left dry on right and set up your inputs in your daw

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I think tonight it's time that I work on a killer bass tone. I think that's what's missing from my mixes. After I get something killer, I'll post the results of course.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score

Sounds like the one I use! For mine I go

Noise Gate: 67 thresh / 0 decay >
Vetta Comp: sens 50 / level 93 >
Classic Distortion: drive 14 / bass 72 / filter 0 / treble 73 / output 88 >
Noise Gate: 50 thresh / 18 decay >
Flip Top Pre: 25 drive (though I vary this one for more/less grit) / 40 bass / 52 lmid / 41 hmid / 56 treb / 60 vol >
Volume Pedal: 23 volume >
Tube Comp (weird placement I know but it works for my setup): 18 thresh / 26 level

Now this may not work as well with others with the stock cab (Though with the 212 phd ported I think it gives a great tone) with my IR setup it sounds really good in a mix. https://soundcloud.com/fretless-1/bacon-bits-v8-bm-edition (I have a newer version of this but it was all sloppy with di parts playing when they shouldn't and whatever so this one will work)

I'd upload the tone, but the last time I connected my pod HD to my computer it got stuck in the reload loop and was unfixable. Fortunately I got to swap it for one that didn't have evidence that hinted that it had been stabbed by a fork lift..

Last edited:

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
Im thinking about getting a pod hd500 for live situations. I wonder, can you map patches to the foot switches, other than the standard up/down switches for patches?

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
Im thinking about getting a pod hd500 for live situations. I wonder, can you map patches to the foot switches, other than the standard up/down switches for patches?

The bottom A-D footswitches can toggle between four patches per bank, and the up/down arrow switches toggle between banks.

Reaction score
The bottom A-D footswitches can toggle between four patches per bank, and the up/down arrow switches toggle between banks.

Footswitches above activate or deactivate individual effects in every patch. I remember that when the HD series first came out, the comparison against the X3 (Besides better quality and all that) was that an HD500 for example was designed towards live situations while the X3 was designed for studio situations. Of course, you can use both models for both situations, but don't worry, the HD500 has what you need for a good live show.

progman

Reaction score
It really depends on your headphones. I have krk's so they are bassier than they could be.

You are right. The headphones aren't as colorless as I thought. I should have bought better headphones. I just went to guitar center and plugged the pod into an alto 10in pa speaker and the tones were spot on. On that note, if people are looking for a much cheaper alternative to buying an amp for the pod, the alto line of pa speakers are perfect.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
You are right. The headphones aren't as colorless as I thought. I should have bought better headphones. I just went to guitar center and plugged the pod into an alto 10in pa speaker and the tones were spot on. On that note, if people are looking for a much cheaper alternative to buying an amp for the pod, the alto line of pa speakers are perfect.

Welcome to 200 pages ago :)