LiveOVErdrive's consolidated build thread

• Thread starter LiveOVErdrive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cnc
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
do the resawing the hoodrat way (table saw makes as deep of cuts as possible, finish the cuts with hand saw or sawzall). If you're a masochist you could just do the resawing all by hand. I prefer the table saw/sawzall method, but it's also pretty easy to buy pre-bookmatched pieces :shrug:
I've done that for a neck blank before. It works. The kerf is so wide though that if you're trying to do figured maple or something it might not match up that well.

Then again if I'm not careful my bandsaw blade wanders just as much.

Might try the by hand method.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I've done that for a neck blank before. It works. The kerf is so wide though that if you're trying to do figured maple or something it might not match up that well.

Then again if I'm not careful my bandsaw blade wanders just as much.

Might try the by hand method.
by hand is very, very tedious. Even with my dozuki saw it took ages to cut a bookmatched top and that thing rips through wood normally.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
by hand is very, very tedious. Even with my dozuki saw it took ages to cut a bookmatched top and that thing rips through wood normally.
I have no problem getting a clean cut when hand sawing my problems are that i don't have the best workstation to hold the workpiece steady while sawing and i tend to wander. So my cuts are clean and this but either tend to wave in the middle or not follow my line.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I decided to try to fix the alignment instead. I think I've finally got it right. Made an ABS baseplate for the bridge and moved the string locks on the head north and east a little. The low e is still closer to the edge than I'd like but I think it is playable. I think my neck is just a little too narrow to be honest.

IMG_20190331_113408.jpg

BUT I think I can make this thing play. So that's good. I'll finish it up and then I'll think about building a MK2 model.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
So it turns out my neck is about 1.5mm narrower than it is supposed to be. I remember cutting closer than I meant to with my pin router so that's probably what did it. That's gonna be tough-to-impossible to get usable, so I'm gonna start over after all.

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
Is the string spacing to far off or the end strings to close to the edge?

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
Yeah i do see that could be a problem..oh well..crank out another one! I mean, this one only took you like a couple days to do right?

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Heheh

Hahah

Hahahahhahahah

I just realized this body shape with the contours fits onto my ruined mahogany tele body from earlier.

IMG_20190402_182645.jpg

The contours cut in already will be carved away by the bevels.

KR250

Build addict
Reaction score
Is there any way to adjust string spacing on the headless hardware, or is it limited by its own width? I have a Jackson that has really narrow string spacing similar to a 6 string. It could be a "feature" :)

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
That black looks good against the blue! Whats the mahogany gonna go towards?

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
That black looks good against the blue! Whats the mahogany gonna go towards?
The neck. Mahogany body and neck. Hope it sounds good with the nazgul/sentient set I'm putting in.

I'm also going to break down and put in a truss rod. If I'm using nice woods I better not take any stupid chances. That's what the budget Build Challenge is for. Still making it an inch thick though.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
The neck. Mahogany body and neck. Hope it sounds good with the nazgul/sentient set I'm putting in.

I'm also going to break down and put in a truss rod. If I'm using nice woods I better not take any stupid chances. That's what the budget Build Challenge is for. Still making it an inch thick though.
I like the nazgul for chugs/br00tz, I had one in an all mahogany schecter and it kicked ass. sentient blows though.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I like the nazgul for chugs/br00tz, I had one in an all mahogany schecter and it kicked ass. sentient blows though.
Isn't it a lot like a jazz? I like those okay. Regardless I've got them so I'll use them but I can certainly swap it out for a paf pro if it sucks.

The paf pro is of course the one true perfect neck humbucker and I don't know why I bother with anything else.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Isn't it a lot like a jazz? I like those okay. Regardless I've got them so I'll use them but I can certainly swap it out for a paf pro if it sucks.

The paf pro is of course the one true perfect neck humbucker and I don't know why I bother with anything else.
i don't really have any experience with the jazz, so I can't say. All i know is that it was bright and spiky sounding for leads, which is why I hated it, since I tend to prefer warmer smooth sounding shred friendly neck pickups (like the 59 or alnico II). I only liked it for cleans and some chordal work.