Meal replacement.

• Thread starter ftr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
On the estrogen/Soy issue:

People do realise that oral steroids have to alter the atomic structure of the hormone to make it survive digestion in the stomach? The amount of estrogen containing food one would have to consume to have enough hormone survive to have an effect enough to disrupt the homeostasis of the body would likely cause the stomach to rupture.

That being said, our body does process protein from plant sources worse than animal sources, so if you're looking for the best protein per calorie some sort of animal source is the whey (;)) to go.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Let's beat a dead horse with some high school chemistry, shall we?

According to the most pessimistic studies on soy protein, EC50 (50% of the people with that much in their blood stream have some measurable effect) of genistein as an estrogen receptor antagonist might be as high as 7.62 nM. That sounds profound, but let's do the maths.

Genistein weighs 270.24 g/mol. Say an 80 kg man contains 64 L of water as solvent, so 7.62 nmol/L x 64 L = 487.68 nmol.
487.68 nmol x 270.24 g/mol = 131.79 mg per person.
3 oz of tofu contains 10 mg of genistein. So, if I injected 13 3 ounce servings of tofu directly into my blood stream, I would start growing boobs, according to that study (keeping in mind that this was my worst-case scenario, i.e., other studies give higher concentrations). Even if I ate two servings of tofu at every meal, the half-life of the chemical would assure that the amount in my bloodstream would never come close to EC50.

Ok, different story, concentrated soy protein. Depending on how the protein is isolated, 3.5 oz of soy protein can contain anywhere from 5.3 mg to 52.8 mg of genistein. Doing three meal replacements in a day does put your intake over the lowest concentration limit. The body will metabolize enough of the protein between meals to keep you below EC50, but if you are particularly sensitive to the chemical, and you metabolize it slower than usual and the worst case study is correct, AND you are consistently taking in the protein supplements that contain the maximum amount of the chemical, then you would be affected. So there is something there. But it's based on all of the worst case scenarios. Still, that is honestly something to think about.

So, if you don't like soy, stay away from it because there are other options. If you have any concerns about the action of chemicals in soy that have been (arguably) identified as estrogen antagonists, and you are doing meal replacements, then it could be a concern. Since there are other non-soy options, it might be worth biting the bullet and getting those, or, alternatively, look into the soy protein you are obtaining and research whether or not any steps were taken to keep genestein concentrations down. At the minimum concentration of 5.3 mg/serving, I really don't think there is any circumstance short of being acutely allergic to it, where you should have anything to worry about.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
In about 1931 Otto Warburg (please google him) stated "no disease, including cancer, can exist in an alkaline environment" (I think he got a Nobel prize on that) however most humans are constantly feeding themselves with the acidic food sources almost 100 years later, scientists included (I personally know huge number of them, doctor included). Later on, the macrobiotic movement explored the acidic versus alkaline food balance, favoring the later towards healthy eating.

This is one of those quotes that gets pulled out of context a lot, however. The problem is, no life can exist in an alkaline environment, either. Sure, a basic solution will kill cancer... But if I'm a cancer patient, it'll kill me along with it. Chugging a bottle of drain cleaner isn't a very effective way of preventing disease, you know?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
When I was in really good shape I was pretty much just eating fruits/veggies/lean meats like turkey or chicken. If you want some extra variety or to feel more full, add some beans to your diet, they're high in protein/fiber. Meal prepping is really the most cost effective way to get leaner. I was living off of lettuce wraps filled with grilled chicken and whatever veggie toppings I wanted for years. I try to limit my carb intake only because bread/tortillas/beer is calorie dense.

bpprox22

String Breaker
Reaction score
Also, quinoa is a nice variety option to eat with any meal. It's a complete source of protein (contains the 9 essential amino acids), contains a moderate amount of fiber, and cooks easy.

CrazyDean

Reaction score
So, back to soylent...I looked over the ingredients again. They are obviously pandering to people who want to be told that they're eating/doing the right thing. Personally, I don't trust any company who refuses to simply state their nutrition. Don't sugar-coat it, just be honest. Call it fat, not "lipids", like it's a good thing suddenly. I remember seeing someone call their carbs, "energy" some years ago. This kind of thinking just creates distrust from your customer.

Also, there sure seems to be a lot of ingredients for such a bland drink. By looking at the first few ingredients, it seems to be comprised mostly of oil and soy protein. I'm very skeptic about this, maybe it's just too weird and new for me.

marcwormjim

Reaction score
I'm just surprised no one's yet put on their lab coat to recommended prayer as a hamburger-alternative.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
[record scratch]Wait, there is an actual product called "Soylent?!" Have they not seen the movie? :lol:

What's next? "The Stuff" frogurt? ... "Hufu?!"

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
[record scratch]Wait, there is an actual product called "Soylent?!" Have they not seen the movie? :lol:

What's next? "The Stuff" frogurt? ... "Hufu?!"
I think they thought it was an ironic name. I thought it was funny when I saw it was named that. SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
^ I was thinking the game the came out not too long ago, but I don't think that's the reference either.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
The name comes from the Novel that the Soylent Green movie is loosely based off of.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
One like = one hamburger. One share = side of fries.
If you ever want to hurl, google " Mitsuyuki Ikeda burger." That guy has some interesting ideas on what to use to replace hamburger meat (and, I believe, it is satire).
...and we'll see how North Korea fares now that the White House has called for a ban on sending their hungry "thoughts and prayers."
The name comes from the Novel that the Soylent Green movie is loosely based off of.
Make Room! Make Room!? IIRC, soylent is not really that much of a key plot point in the series.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
Yup, that's the one. The creator has been quite open about that being where the name comes from.

Supposedly the whole food shortage and feeding the world and environmental issues and whatnot. One can argue about whether Soylent actually achieves the goals it claims to (It doesn't really), but that is the thought process behind the name.