Movies you've been watching...

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Kate Mckinnon wasn't in Mike and Dave need Wedding Dates, that's someone else who played the cousin (I assume you're thinking of her GB character looking the same as the lesbian cousin with the haircut)
yeah my bad, apparently that was alice wetterlund

wankerness

Reaction score
I actually loved the emphasis on knife fights/hand to hand and slightly less gunplay. The other 2 films had shitloads of gunplay so it got a bit tiresome. I enjoyed the dog sequence, but not as much as the catacomb shootout in part 2. The motorcyle fight was pretty cool.
The ascending the tower to the final boss felt kind of like a throwback to Game of Death.

But that's the thing, it's only a haircut. Just because some people associate it with assclowns like the alt right doesn't mean they own it. It's been a common men's haircut for literally decades. Shit variants of it are still trending all the time, because there's really only so much you can do with men's hair.

Anyone that defends Ghostbusters 2016 needs to seriously re-evaluate their life decisions. I streamed it with a relatively open mind, and basically the only funny character is Kate McKinnon's. She hardcore carries that film. It was an utter dogshit cashgrab trying to exploit the girl power/"strong female lead" trend that pops up every few years.
On that note, Kate McKinnon is seriously underrated. She was fucking hilarious in Mike and Dave need Wedding Dates and The Spy who Dumped Me. She steals every scene she was in for both films.

Some identity groups, like "PROUD BOYS," absolutely DO have style guidelines. But obviously there aren't "conservative" or "liberal" haircut looks, I am talking about a very specific group's specific look, I guess. Not everyone with the haircut is fascist, I am reminded of that whenever I see someone with it now. Of course other people can still have it and get away with it, especially since most people are blissfully unaware of the proud boys and their ilk outside of those famous tiki torch screaming pictures, but it's kind of like part of a uniform. Point is, Ruby Rose sucks and I hate her hair and she looks like a dick.

I haven't actually watched Ghostbusters 2016 so I'm one of "those guys," but I've thought it looked terrible ever since I saw the first trailer, and everything else has made me more sure I was right. I watched the lengthy RLM videos on it since I watch everything they do, and there's no way the movie could contain half of the stuff I've seen and not be something I'd dislike.

Kate McKinnon has flipped around to OVERRATED for me in the last few years as everyone seems to get excited about her and talk about how she's so funny, but almost everything she does on SNL is either "stare creepily while grinning" or "just be a slob" no matter what the character is supposed to be. Like, especially with the crappy political characters they do in the opens/Weekend Update. She was funny as Jeff Sessions, but then she did practically the same thing and they called it Lindsay Graham. And her Kellyanne Conway, Elizabeth Warren, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, etc were just awful lazy collections of her usual tics. She's coasting! She's good at her weird, original niche, but it's a niche that's been getting run into the ground, and at this point I'm sad to see her get airtime over say, Heidi Gardner. She probably just needs some actual good writing on something other than SNL. I still laugh sometimes since she can do some stuff in her sleep, though. Like that heinous sketch from a couple months ago with her and Adam Sandler picking each other up at a bar as disgustingly as possible.

RE: Wick 3, yeah the motorcycle fight was fun (if necessarily short), I forgot about it. I am not familiar with Game of Death so I didn't realize that was the likely reference. There's not really anything wrong with the emphasis on knife stuff, it just wasn't for me, I guess. It doesn't do it as well as The Night Comes for Us. I need to watch that again.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I am not familiar with Game of Death so I didn't realize that was the likely reference.

If you're curious, go watch the Bruce Lee A Warrior's Journey doco instead. It has footage of Lee's original vision of Game Of Death on top of an in depth documentary of him. Don't bother with the actual Game Of Death film.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
If you're curious, go watch the Bruce Lee A Warrior's Journey doco instead. It has footage of Lee's original vision of Game Of Death on top of an in depth documentary of him. Don't bother with the actual Game Of Death film.
Yeah game of death isn't exactly a great film, especially since they had to finish it without Bruce. It's really sad how the same thing ended up happening to his son Brandon on the Crow, where he died before finishing the film.

mastapimp

Reaction score
Kate Mckinnon wasn't in Mike and Dave need Wedding Dates, that's someone else who played the cousin (I assume you're thinking of her GB character looking the same as the lesbian cousin with the haircut)
He's probably thinking of "Rough Night" which also had a wedding theme. McKinnon stole many a scene in that movie as well.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Yeah game of death isn't exactly a great film, especially since they had to finish it without Bruce. It's really sad how the same thing ended up happening to his son Brandon on the Crow, where he died before finishing the film.

At least Brandon got a respectable tribute with The Crow. Game Of Death on the other hand decided to milk as much gravy as possible from a fresh corpse. Granted that times were different and Hong Kong didn't have Hollywood money, but to use existing footage from his previous movies, a cutout of his face over a standing, and his own freaking funeral is straight up insulting and disrespectful. They did exactly all that. TWICE! Just imagine if Brandon copped the same deal and The Crow had footage from bloody Showdown In Little Tokyo...

Then came the wave of terrible Bruceploitation movies that I'm ashamed I've actually seen a lot of from back in the day. Hell, one of Jackie Chan's first movies was a sequel to Fist Of Fury/Chinese Connection and marketed him as the next Bruce (that movie was awful by the way). That movie had a ton of remakes too with some dude names Bruce Li (FOF2 and FOF3, both sucked), Jet Li and Donnie Yen (both cases were pretty good actually).

To think Game Of Death could have been a martial arts masterpiece. Reading the synopsis, Bruce had a lot of grand ideas at the time. It really was a tragedy to what happened to him and Brandon. But there's a reason why Game Of Death is disowned by a lot of martial arts movie fans.

...and just like that, I found out a remake of Enter The Fat Dragon is in the works. AND it has Donnie Yen in it. Bloody hell... :lol:

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
At least Brandon got a respectable tribute with The Crow. Game Of Death on the other hand decided to milk as much gravy as possible from a fresh corpse. Granted that times were different and Hong Kong didn't have Hollywood money, but to use existing footage from his previous movies, a cutout of his face over a standing, and his own freaking funeral is straight up insulting and disrespectful. They did exactly all that. TWICE! Just imagine if Brandon copped the same deal and The Crow had footage from bloody Showdown In Little Tokyo...

Then came the wave of terrible Bruceploitation movies that I'm ashamed I've actually seen a lot of from back in the day. Hell, one of Jackie Chan's first movies was a sequel to Fist Of Fury/Chinese Connection and marketed him as the next Bruce (that movie was awful by the way). That movie had a ton of remakes too with some dude names Bruce Li (FOF2 and FOF3, both sucked), Jet Li and Donnie Yen (both cases were pretty good actually).

To think Game Of Death could have been a martial arts masterpiece. Reading the synopsis, Bruce had a lot of grand ideas at the time. It really was a tragedy to what happened to him and Brandon. But there's a reason why Game Of Death is disowned by a lot of martial arts movie fans.

...and just like that, I found out a remake of Enter The Fat Dragon is in the works. AND it has Donnie Yen in it. Bloody hell... :lol:
I'm honestly surprised no one has bothered trying to make a modern Game of Death. Iko Uwais or Tony Jaa would be great in it. Then again that's basically the Raid's plot or The Protector's staircase fight scene all over again :lol:
I'm glad that the Crow remake is stuck in development hell. Even if they followed the graphic novel more closely it would be very difficult for the film to escape the shadow of the original (which was only really good because of Brandon imo).
The only good Bruce Lee film not starring Bruce Lee is the Jet Li remake of Chinese Connection.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
So I'm watching the first two JW movies today....

And wtf is it with the volume in some of these movies? I can't hear the mumble/speaking then the music or action parts start and its deafening so I'm constantly reaching for the volume controls. Is it my TV or the movie mix?

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I'm honestly surprised no one has bothered trying to make a modern Game of Death. Iko Uwais or Tony Jaa would be great in it. Then again that's basically the Raid's plot or The Protector's staircase fight scene all over again

The real issue to that is how will the movie be approached. Remaking the released mashed product will be doomed before I hit that Post Reply button. Using Lee's concept notes would be the most prudent thing to do. Shannon Lee is already using some of his old concepts with that Warrior TV series (same notes that eventually became Kung Fu apparently), so get her involved and it could be something good.

The only good Bruce Lee film not starring Bruce Lee is the Jet Li remake of Chinese Connection.

Fist of Legend had the benefits of being made in the 90s and not have some guy named either Bruce Le, Bruce Li or Bluce Ree. I do think Yuen Woo Ping went a little overboard on the fight scenes. As awesome as they were, and we wouldn't have The Matrix without them, they felt incongruous to the dramatic tone that Gordon Chan was trying to go for. It's still pretty great though.

wankerness

Reaction score
So I'm watching the first two JW movies today....

And wtf is it with the volume in some of these movies? I can't hear the mumble/speaking then the music or action parts start and its deafening so I'm constantly reaching for the volume controls. Is it my TV or the movie mix?

10:1 you are watching a surround mix through stereo speakers so you're effectively getting four (or more) channels worth of volume of sound effects over the one channel worth of dialogue.

mongey

Reaction score
LEGO 2. My 4 year old loves the first one so we’re all hyped to watch the 2nd. Meh. Really didn’t need to extant. A few good laughs but no where as good as the original.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Spiderman Far From Home

Much more meatier than the shallow Homecoming. It's still the ironic Mickey Mouse Club episode of the MCU so it's a much smaller scale, but it's also a character movie revolving around the rest his class whilst planting seeds for guys like Flash Thompson and Brad Davis. There's more emotional weight and investment that gives Tom Holland lots of room to exercise his growing dramatic chops and bring the large theme of guilt and responsibility that's so focal to his character. It's still in the context of a 'teen flick' but a fine way to bookend the third phase and moving forward. Also the 2 post credits are excellent and substantial for what's yet to come.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Repo Men. I don't know why I waited so long to watch this movie, it was pretty neat both in concept and in terms of the sfx. The fight scenes were pretty good, especially the oldboy esque hallway fight at the end of the film. I've never seen an action movie where someone used a hacksaw that way :lol: The practical SFX in particular were gruesome but effective, with lots of things being shoved into body cavities (replete with innard shots).

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Spiderman: Far From Home - 4.5/5

Much better than Homecoming, the gap between the two in my eyes feels more like from solo to trilogy closer than from solo to sequel. It didn't overly rely on Tony not being around as his mentor, and thankfully didn't rope an RDJ cameo into it, while allowing Peter to grow in his abilities and reliance on himself. Gyllenhaal is obviously top notch and is the perfect guy to play Mysterio, and the way they establish him and his crew is just ...so well thought out. Curious to see what they do with the post credits scene, as it lets them go a couple different routes.

Midsommar - 3/5

I've been on A24's horror dick since they started doing it with The VVitch, and while I liked Midsommar, this one wasn't as big and grand as I was hoping for. The relationship of the main characters just felt like stuff was happening off screen and we didnt see it, so when they came back to it, they were in a different place than expected. Its also incredibly slow, like the Wind River of horror films, even with as much foreshadowing as it did. Maybe it'll do the same thing as W.R. where I had to rewatch it to really "get it," but overall its still better than 90% of the horror that's coming out.

wankerness

Reaction score
I’m very interested in Midsommar as I love breakup movies and the original Wicker Man. I may be disappointed!

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Decided to have a Jeffery Combs Movie Marathon on my off day.

Re-Animator
From Beyond
Bride of Re-Animator
Lurking Evil
Castle Freak
Beyond Re-Animator

You just listed some of my all time favourites. Always was a huge fan of Combs, on and off screen. Met him a few years ago and he was an absolute fucking weirdo nerd in the best possible way.

I have steelbooks and limited pressings from various companies of the Re-Animator stuff but would love if some of his other films got the same love, especially From Beyond and Castle Freak.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Finally got to watch Hereditary. It was quite everything I hope from a good horror movie. Bit oldschool, "artsy", weird and disturbing nightmare of a family from somewhat realistic standpoint which was part of it being disturbing. Overall very refreshing take on modern horror and very few movies have same kind of impact on viewer nowadays. Midsommar is next on my list and I'm gonna watch it at movie theater this friday.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Hereditary

I'm rather late to the party on this one, but agreed with the above post. It's good and solid in the psychological horror dept. Sure it's waist deep with pretentious abstract post-modernist arthouse surrealism with no real point in sight but part of why I enjoyed it was the subtlety and restraint. If anything it's a family drama driving with horror riding shotgun and navigating. The cast is excellent. Toni Collete can do this in her sleep by now (go figure), though Alex Wolff keeps up well. I looked up director Ari Aster and turns out it's his directorial debut, which is impressive. Not Jordan Peele impressive but pretty good all the same. I'll have to check out Midsommar soon as well.

Power Rangers (2017)

I really shouldn't watch movies based on dares, but I recently heard this was getting rebooted so I got morbidly curious. Seriously only 2 years and already a reboot? I have dirty jox older than this movie. I suppose it's Hasbro recently getting the rights from Saban and pushing for a shared universe with Transformers GI Joe and that MASK movie that's supposed to be happening some time soon. But I digress.

This movie is awful. It's a bad mashup of Josh Trank movies with John Hughes teen angst but without any effort, makes you sit with this unlikable bunch for an hour and a half, then finally tacking in a 30 minute Power Rangers episode (theme song and all) done by Michael Bay. Bryan Cranston, who despite being an veteran voice actor, shows the vim of someone waiting to rush out the door. Though, huge props to Elizabeth Banks for showing all the self awareness in the universe and lean right the hell into her character role.