Movies you've been watching...

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
If I ever wanted further proof that we are in the shittiest timeline, then Exorcist Believer has solidified that belief. Written and directed by the dipshits behind the last 3 creatively bankrupt Halloween movies (David Gordon Green/Danny McBride) , and just like those films, it fucking sucks. Whereas the original Exorcist and the more recent TV series focused on the priests and the families affected by demonic possession this one takes more than half the film to set up the possessions and tries some weird pastiche of Catholicism, Baptist and African religions to try and help cure the afflicted.
Maybe I'm just insanely jaded to possession films anymore, but this one is just lame.
I think the movie overall is toothless (outside of one really nasty scene involving someone being blinded with a crucifix) and a fucking chore to watch. Avoid.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
If I ever wanted further proof that we are in the shittiest timeline, then Exorcist Believer has solidified that belief. Written and directed by the dipshits behind the last 3 creatively bankrupt Halloween movies (David Gordon Green/Danny McBride) , and just like those films, it fucking sucks. Whereas the original Exorcist and the more recent TV series focused on the priests and the families affected by demonic possession this one takes more than half the film to set up the possessions and tries some weird pastiche of Catholicism, Baptist and African religions to try and help cure the afflicted.
Maybe I'm just insanely jaded to possession films anymore, but this one is just lame.
I think the movie overall is toothless (outside of one really nasty scene involving someone being blinded with a crucifix) and a fucking chore to watch. Avoid.
After watching DGG's soulless cash grabs, and the general idea of comedy goofballs making horror films, I have zero plans to watch much of any modern horror. I want legacy characters ground up and snorted by new characters like Art the Clown. I found it funny how everyone reevaluated Rob Zombie's Halloween films, which I enjoy, as his films are in their eor own universal. They all kind of fit in together. DGG's smug attitude and Jason Blum's greedy, soulless nature with horror are repulsive. I hope DGG has to direct made for Lifetime movies. He doesn't have any business making films at all, but at least he can torture a demographic with his garbage that has no effect on anything I might ever be interested in.

In other words, he's a fucking hack, and Jason Blum is nowhere near Michael Bay's level. Platinum Dunes was much better.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
The Prowler (1981) - cheese-a-riffic horror from the eighties. This is basically Friday the 13th II with less give-a-fuck and a much worse, unexplained, villain. There's some shot-for-shot scene replication. Like, you almost wonder if they weren't passing notes between classes.

Asteroid Ciy - I dig funky, funny, self-reflective creative stories. I really love it when creating and creation become intertwined in fun and interesting ways. This film starts with that premise, then shits it down its leg, pukes on the turd as it leaves the foot hole, then faceplants in the result on the ending. I've heard a lot of praise for it, but have to wonder if it's by people worried they'll be told they not smart enough to get it if they say anything negative about it. I'm not sure why they'd worry about that, as it's clear that intelligence had nothing at all to do with this film. It was pretend intellectualism pretending its way into suicidal levels of stupidity. I wouldn't say it angered me, but it left me feeling like somebody hit the bong a little too hard before editing. Maybe a likable character or something would have helped? Just ended up feeling like a whole lite of time passed for no reason.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
The Prowler (1981) - cheese-a-riffic horror from the eighties. This is basically Friday the 13th II with less give-a-fuck and a much worse, unexplained, villain. There's some shot-for-shot scene replication. Like, you almost wonder if they weren't passing notes between classes
No shit. Tom Savini did this after the first Friday the 13th film. Zito did this film and it helped him get the job to direct part 4.

manu80

Reaction score
Immaculate yesterday.
Pretty good movie. Short to today's standard, no time wasted in BS during 2h30 hours, good effects and atmosphere . I just regret the last 20 minutes a bit, that goes as usually in those flicks in a bit of "too much"and repeats. Reminded me of Get out. All good but the end was too much too.
Gotta see the Omen prequel to compare those two ;)

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I find myself cancelling any movie that turns into a quiet/jump scare schtick. Bye Felicia. Might be missing out......but its a trend lately for me.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Watching this Rebel Moon Part II thing. Man, this whole series is bafflingly bad. You want to watch space people harvest wheat for fucking 20 minutes? Then Scargiver is for you.

Also, if when movies go out of their way to state the title line, which is just poor writing as far as I'm concerned, then this is also a ridiculous movie. "Hey, we rebuilt your entire body and it's all super advanced medical stuff that's hard to imagine even exists. But I'm sorry for the scar we couldn't remove in the process" "no, she gave me the scar. and when I bring the scargiver's body here, and the people see my scar, it will be a symbol!" Whaaaat

Every scene is just a new pet peeve box checked. Box currently being checked: Random African singing to symbolize some righteous / natural alignment.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
And now in the subtitles a gun that can only be described as some sort of energy cannon with a wooden handle (wtf) is subbed as "blunderbuss fires"

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Watching this Rebel Moon Part II thing. Man, this whole series is bafflingly bad. You want to watch space people harvest wheat for fucking 20 minutes? Then Scargiver is for you.

Also, if when movies go out of their way to state the title line, which is just poor writing as far as I'm concerned, then this is also a ridiculous movie. "Hey, we rebuilt your entire body and it's all super advanced medical stuff that's hard to imagine even exists. But I'm sorry for the scar we couldn't remove in the process" "no, she gave me the scar. and when I bring the scargiver's body here, and the people see my scar, it will be a symbol!" Whaaaat

Every scene is just a new pet peeve box checked. Box currently being checked: Random African singing to symbolize some righteous / natural alignment.

I guess I don't understand why if you didn't like the first one, you bothered with the second.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Finally decided to watch "Late Night with the Devil" since it's available on streaming, ended up just buying it on Vudu instead of a free trial I never end up cancelling; much slower burn than I thought it'd be honestly, but still pretty good nonetheless. Thought it'd be a bit more mind-fucky than it is, but it's more straightforward which also works for it.

Then since I was still feeling spooky, I decided to watch a Thai movie called "DEATH WHISPERER" which was pretty underwhelming honestly. There were some effects that were just like, "oh gross!" but nothing overly terrifying to go with it. Seems like Thai people are very willing to shrug off anything wrong with people as long as the work gets done. This daughter is straight up getting possessed and they're like, "nah, she's just sick, she'll get better" meanwhile she gets up in the middle of the night and no one thinks to maybe restraint her the next time?

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Abigail- A fun gory vampire flick. It's very True Blood esque in the sense that vampires violently explode into a pile of goo. It's got a lot of super gorgeous cinematography. Dan Stevens chews scenery like a motherfucker (unsurprising tbh). Far more entertaining than I thought it was gonna be. Worth a watch imo

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
If anyone knows the best way to get a hold of some of Todd Sheets movies, let me know. I wanted a copy of The Shivers years ago, found one, and it was a DVD data disc with an .avi file that had the resolution of a MySpace thumbnail. I'm not expecting much here, but regular old standard def would have been acceptable.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Also, I think it's time for a seriously deluxe Fulci boxset of some type. But perhaps I'm just living in the past.

70s/80s B movies can't be beat.

manu80

Reaction score
The new Guy Ritchie should work for that. Don't even know if it's an amazon release or a theater one in France.

Went to see Ghostbusters. Well....not sure it's worth continuing the serie.

Kinda the same story, but not as cut/paste as the first one....Glad to see the old ones showing up , should be time to move on I guess , but the new team isn't really interesting, humor feels forced, the cast isn't great, felt sometimes like a DIsney movie to tick all the boxes of wokism....SFX are good but that's it....

rokket2005

Reaction score
I watched Liz and the Blue Bird again last night, 2nd time in the last 2 weeks or so. Absolutely beautiful movie. It's a very slow building character drama with everything conveyed in small details in the animation. It's a side story of the Sound! Euphonium series so watching that first is preferable, but the main characters of the series play minor roles here, and the main characters of the movie don't really get any screen time in the show until the 2nd season. It parallels the story of a girl freeing her friend who is actually a Bluebird with 2 high school girls who are afraid to lose each other at the end of their high school days.
Incredibly emotional and human characters with gorgeous animation and a very pretty soundtrack. Definitely a movie that you watch bloom over the course of it's 90 minute run time, and I enjoyed it more the second time when I picked up more details that I didn't on the first watch. It's not for everyone. If you want explosions and theatrics they aren't here.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Went to see Ghostbusters. Well....not sure it's worth continuing the serie.

Kinda the same story, but not as cut/paste as the first one....Glad to see the old ones showing up , should be time to move on I guess , but the new team isn't really interesting, humor feels forced, the cast isn't great, felt sometimes like a DIsney movie to tick all the boxes of wokism....SFX are good but that's it....

People often forget that the original Ghostbusters movie is a cynical story about grifters/con artists who were purely in it for the money. It was a lightning in a bottle comedy completely irreverent with itself, that just happens to appeal to kids. And it's been nigh impossible to replicate. Everybody knew it in Ghostbusters 2, where the plot was to accept that very notion, sell out and just flat out repeat the same plot of 1 again. Then add a Saturday morning cartoon and hammer that point home. Yeah, Ghostbusters 2 is nowhere near as great as 1, and it should've been the telltale sign that Ghostbusters doesn't work as a franchise.

The Jason Riteman movies completely miss that point of irreverence and make these grifters as heroes for the new generation, thus undermining the smart gut punch of the original. They almost forget that the original was a comedy. Ironically enough, the Ghostbusters 2016 reboot at least understood that comedy aspect, but completely falls apart in its loud and obnoxious delivery with no sense of dynamics.

wankerness

Reaction score
The Prowler (1981) - cheese-a-riffic horror from the eighties. This is basically Friday the 13th II with less give-a-fuck and a much worse, unexplained, villain. There's some shot-for-shot scene replication. Like, you almost wonder if they weren't passing notes between classes.

Asteroid Ciy - I dig funky, funny, self-reflective creative stories. I really love it when creating and creation become intertwined in fun and interesting ways. This film starts with that premise, then shits it down its leg, pukes on the turd as it leaves the foot hole, then faceplants in the result on the ending. I've heard a lot of praise for it, but have to wonder if it's by people worried they'll be told they not smart enough to get it if they say anything negative about it. I'm not sure why they'd worry about that, as it's clear that intelligence had nothing at all to do with this film. It was pretend intellectualism pretending its way into suicidal levels of stupidity. I wouldn't say it angered me, but it left me feeling like somebody hit the bong a little too hard before editing. Maybe a likable character or something would have helped? Just ended up feeling like a whole lite of time passed for no reason.
They filmed at the same time, so it was probably just a coincidence. What scenes are you talking about in particular?

The Prowler is kind of terrible, but I've watched it a few times. It's one of those movies where the gore effects are SO spectacular that it makes the rest of the movie worth sitting through. But man, some of the scenes just test your patience. Especially when they call the cranky guy who's playing solitaire or whatever, and tell him to check for the sheriff, and we get to see him slowwwwly get up and pretend to check but not actually leave his desk, and gah. It feels like a scene designed to pad runtime, which isn't necessary cause it's not like the movie was too short without that scene.

Asteroid City I thought WOULD have been great if it didn't have that stupid framing device telling you not to care about anything cause none of it's real. I really liked 3/4 of the movie, it's just the other 1/4 was telling me I was a sucker for getting emotionally invested in it. Very frustrating. I hope Wes Anderson goes back to telling straightforward stories with likable, relatable, wacky characters like Royal Tenenbaums or Moonrise Kingdom, because his last two have been very frustrating.

Also, I think it's time for a seriously deluxe Fulci boxset of some type. But perhaps I'm just living in the past.

70s/80s B movies can't be beat.
A problem with that guy is he has a ton of really, really awful movies late in his career that no one wants to see, as well as a ton of movies of other genres like comedy or drama that horror fans don't want to see. He directed 50 movies! Also the rights for them are spread out all over the place. His best movies (Don't Torture a Duckling, The Beyond, and Lizard in a Woman's Skin) all have releases from different companies (Arrow, Grindhouse, Mondo Macabro), and then there's several other labels that have at least one (Severin, Cauldron, Kino, Vinegar Syndrome, Blue Underground, etc). And then there's movies that don't even have releases in this country like Beatrice Cenci. Or ones that are still DVD only like Four of the Apocalypse. I think Beatrice Cenci, Four of the Apocalypse, and La Pretora are the only ones with positive reps that I haven't seen yet.

I'm mainly just waiting for the 4K of The Beyond cause the blu-ray looks really bad compared to the inferior companion movies (Zombie, City of the Living Dead, House by the Cemetery), and it was announced several months ago but no updates since.

Anyway, I went to see GODZILLA X KONG (which is fun in a "kid mashing their action figures together" sort of way) and they played the trailer for Furiosa before it and as a gigantic fan of Mad Max Fury Road, I gotta say it looked AWFUL. Like, just the fakiest CGI crap the whole way through. I saw a bunch of comments like "hey, the CGI isn't done yet!!" but I always see comments like that on trailers like this and I can't think of one single example where the CGI ever actually looked better when the movie came out. Plus it comes out in a month! I'll still go see it but now I'm very apprehensive. I already kinda was thanks to the casting of Anya Taylor-Joy who is about as far as you could possibly get from Charlize Theron when it comes to looking the part of a tough badass, but she's a good actress so I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. The CGI, though...gah.