Movies you've been watching...

nightflameauto

Reaction score
They filmed at the same time, so it was probably just a coincidence. What scenes are you talking about in particular?
I may have been able to tell ya a day after watching it, but probably not a week and some change later.

I just remember several moments thinking, "This is totally in Friday the 13th framed almost the same way."
The Prowler is kind of terrible, but I've watched it a few times. It's one of those movies where the gore effects are SO spectacular that it makes the rest of the movie worth sitting through. But man, some of the scenes just test your patience. Especially when they call the cranky guy who's playing solitaire or whatever, and tell him to check for the sheriff, and we get to see him slowwwwly get up and pretend to check but not actually leave his desk, and gah. It feels like a scene designed to pad runtime, which isn't necessary cause it's not like the movie was too short without that scene.
It could have also been a product of the time. Lots of weird "why are they taking so long?" moments in movies of that age.
Asteroid City I thought WOULD have been great if it didn't have that stupid framing device telling you not to care about anything cause none of it's real. I really liked 3/4 of the movie, it's just the other 1/4 was telling me I was a sucker for getting emotionally invested in it. Very frustrating. I hope Wes Anderson goes back to telling straightforward stories with likable, relatable, wacky characters like Royal Tenenbaums or Moonrise Kingdom, because his last two have been very frustrating.
The whole thing struck me as a creator getting creative to the point where it was an actual deterrent for the creation itself. I'm a big fan of meta, but in this case it felt like the meta was more a bludgeon, rather than another color in the palette.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Saw Rebel Moon 2. Had to rewatch Rebel Moon 1. It was kind of bad. Part one takes an unnecessary detour with the way it ends, and part two basically has no plot changes from part one. It was also kind of cool in a bubblegum for the brain kind of way. The basis for it is space nazis vs colonists, or I should just say Star Wars. It was basically Star Wars.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Speaking of 80s b- horror movies, I watched Night of the Demons last night. It was sleazy, stupid and surprisingly fun.
Not as fun as From Beyond though.

I also rewatched Prom Night and forgot how fucking slow it was. They take forever to start killing those dipshit teenagers :lol:

wankerness

Reaction score
I HATED prom night the first time I saw it, I thought it was so boring. Then I watched it again a few years ago and loved it, especially the dance number. More horror movies need disco dance numbers.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I HATED prom night the first time I saw it, I thought it was so boring. Then I watched it again a few years ago and loved it, especially the dance number. More horror movies need disco dance numbers.
The dance in Night of the Demons is way more entertaining imo

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
We've been re-watching the Lord Of the Rings trilogy (the extended versions) as if it was a series. And we're having a blast.

20 years later and they're every bit as good. They have aged really well, and the 4k HDR remasters are just fantastic.

eb6f96_503914405686434aa7ac0de150aa6f1f~mv2.webp

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Are we talking "Night of the Demons" that has the random shot of a woman feeding her husband candy with razor blades in it? Or the other one?

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Speaking of 80s b- horror movies, I watched Night of the Demons last night. It was sleazy, stupid and surprisingly fun.
Night of the Demons is fun. Linnea Quigley is always a blast in films. The lipstick scene is both weird and hilarious.

Not as fun as From Beyond though.
Barbara Crampton is a total hottie From Beyond and Re-Animator, as well as a babe in Chopping Mall (it is babe, isn't it?).

I also rewatched Prom Night and forgot how fucking slow it was. They take forever to start killing those dipshit teenagers :lol:
I think Prom Night is fine, but Terror Train is a much better film.

wankerness

Reaction score
Are we talking "Night of the Demons" that has the random shot of a woman feeding her husband candy with razor blades in it? Or the other one?
Huh? I don't remember that. He's talking about the one with Linnea Quigley sticking a tube of lipstick into her nipple. I'm unaware of another movie by that title, though I bet they remade it badly in the 2000s?

Night of the Demon singular is a bigfoot movie in which a guy gets his penis ripped off. It's not as good but that scene and the one where someone's in a sleeping bag and bigfoot twirls it over his head and throws it onto a protruding branch is better than similar scenes in Friday the 13th movies.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Huh? I don't remember that. He's talking about the one with Linnea Quigley sticking a tube of lipstick into her nipple.
Whilst Rodger and Judy return from the massacre with an exhausted appearance, Ol' freak pokes fun at them.He is later murdered by her homicidal wife, when she conceals the same razor blade in his desert, slitting his throat apart.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Huh? I don't remember that. He's talking about the one with Linnea Quigley sticking a tube of lipstick into her nipple. I'm unaware of another movie by that title, though I bet they remade it badly in the 2000s?

Night of the Demon singular is a bigfoot movie in which a guy gets his penis ripped off. It's not as good but that scene and the one where someone's in a sleeping bag and bigfoot twirls it over his head and throws it onto a protruding branch is better than similar scenes in Friday the 13th movies.

Whilst Rodger and Judy return from the massacre with an exhausted appearance, Ol' freak pokes fun at them.He is later murdered by her homicidal wife, when she conceals the same razor blade in his desert, slitting his throat apart.

First one.

Spaced has got it the scene, I swear there was another one from the 70s/80s with that title but I guess it's just the singular 1957 one and then sequels to the original, and a remake in 2009. There was a time when I tried Googling that scene with the wife, and seemingly could never find it, it'd always pull up other movies even though it should've been fairly easy.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Spaced has got it the scene, I swear there was another one from the 70s/80s with that title but I guess it's just the singular 1957 one and then sequels to the original, and a remake in 2009. There was a time when I tried Googling that scene with the wife, and seemingly could never find it, it'd always pull up other movies even though it should've been fairly easy.
Night of the Comet
Night of the Demon
Night of the Creeps

They did a lot of "Night of the" in the 80s.

wankerness

Reaction score
There's night of/curse of the demon (Night of was the original English title, the US recut was renamed Curse of the Demon) from 1957 which is an actual classic horror movie, then there's night of the demonS from the 80s and its two sequels and apparently 2009 remake (I didn't know about this, but I just looked it up, and it has Edward Furlong in it and is from 2009 and looks like it was shot with a digital camcorder so I'm sure it's trash). And the aforementioned Bigfoot castration movie from 1980 that's also Night of the Demon.

Curse of the /Night of the Demon is probably the best horror movie of the 50s. Highly recommended.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Watched Wandering Earth 2 last night. Holy cow, what a steaming pile of WT even F. The whole thing is a completely discombobulated vehicle for chinese communist propaganda, in a world where they are somehow the default arbiters of planetary solutions instead of perpetual domestic crises.

I can get over how it's basically bull-science-fiction, I like those types of fantasy style movies enough, but the plot is so jerky and ridiculous that by the end of the movie I was glad it finally ended at all. The whole thing felt like getting on a plane to California, but half way there you find out you're actually going to Russia, and then once you land you realize you're in North Korea. It jumps around between time, place, and characters which all respectively have these cocked agendas or logical initiatives which don't form anything close to a cohesive plot. I wouldn't be surprised if it were written by a fifth grader. That's besides the obvious and suffocating propaganda, which I found downright fucking hilarious at best and completely detracting otherwise. Didn't help that many parts were in completely untranslated and indiscernible Russian, as they are the fictional second string to the dragon when it comes to totally not shooting each other in the back of the head, I guess?

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
2009 remake (I didn't know about this, but I just looked it up, and it has Edward Furlong in it and is from 2009 and looks like it was shot with a digital camcorder so I'm sure it's trash).
It's trash, but I enjoy some trash. That said, it's more than a bit depressing to see how Furlong's career/life have gone.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been watching Dune 2 in bits over the last couple of days

I am reminded once again how zendaya and timothee whatshisface have zero chemistry on screen.

that being said Dune 2 is ok so far. I'm about halfway into it.. Not the best thing in the world, but it's not terrible either.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
The thing about Dune 2 (spoiler alert) I don't appreciate is how the protagonist basically plays right into his own fears and premonitions of changing from noble good into a primary agent of noble cause corruption/fanaticism. Like, bro, you had one job.

Last edited:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
The thing about Dune 2 (spoiler alert) I don't appreciate is how the protagonist basically plays right into his own fears and premonitions of changing from noble good into a primary agent of noble cause corruption/fanaticism. Like, bro, you had one job.

Considering you said you didn't read the book in a previous post, this reaction is expected. Frank Herbert made it a point to beware all charismatic leaders, and Paul's story is not a a traditional hero's journey but one turned on its head.

When Dune Messiah comes out, you probably won't like that either, since it continues to double down on that subversion. If any consolation, JRR Tolkien didn't like Dune either.

Latest posts